It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:41 am

my back hurts.. 

Post my back hurts..
yes this is a totally NEWB question.. I just got the stick last month and my back hurts ALOT after playing for over a hour.

I am playing the stick alot while sitting. It is on my belt i got from home depo..

When i am sitting down should i rest the weight of the stick on something else, besides just letting it freely hang..

Or am i just using muscles in my back i have never used before. :-)

Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:48 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: my back hurts..
IsaacMeyer wrote:
yes this is a totally NEWB question.. I just got the stick last month and my back hurts ALOT after playing for over a hour.

I am playing the stick alot while sitting. It is on my belt i got from home depo..

When i am sitting down should i rest the weight of the stick on something else, besides just letting it freely hang..

Or am i just using muscles in my back i have never used before. :-)
Hi Isaac,

I let the belthook rest on the front of the chair, so there's no weight on me at all. The belt's only job is to keep the belthook from slipping off the front of the chair.

Would you care to post a pic of you playing, that would help me see if there's something else going on.

Which part of your back is bothering you?

Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:42 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Greg, It seems like whenever someone is in need of help on this forum, you are CONSTANTLY there to provide support. I'm sure ALL of us would agree that a HUGE THANK YOU IS IN ORDER.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:06 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

not yet stick wrote:
Greg, It seems like whenever someone is in need of help on this forum, you are CONSTANTLY there to provide support. I'm sure ALL of us would agree that a HUGE THANK YOU IS IN ORDER.
Hi not stick yet.

I feel very grateful to Manny and all the members of this community who participate in a really positive way. Many of you have bought my CDs and method books ;), and take lessons from me, so if I can help someone have a better experience with the instrument, I'm happy to do so.

When I was starting out (25 years ago last month!) I had only Emmett's book. It was two years before I even met another Stick player, but that didn't stop me from making music.

Several thousand Sticks and new communication opportunities mean that we can save each other the agony of making the same mistakes we did. There are also many more experienced players in the world, several of whom are right here on this forum, so the art of Stick playing is advancing more rapidly than ever before.

Unlike the old days, we have daily contact with each other for inspiration, validation and criticism. I don't think musicians need to have these things, but it's nice to have one place where we can all go without being a the guy who plays the unusual instrument.

Anyway, back to Isaac's back
The Stick is a very friendly instrument, ergonomically, so I know his issues can be solved. A picture is worth 1000 words, a video worth 1000000.

Given the right information, I can usually find a solution. I can show you quite a lot about things that can help you with instrument positioning and basic technique in half a hour on skype, so I feel very confident recommending that to beginning players as a good way to get going.

Anyway, thanks for the thanks, but I get a lot out of it, too.

Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:46 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I've said it before, this site is wonderfully unusual compared to some other sites out there. Help without attitude, it's still soooo refreshing to me.

Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:41 pm

I tried to take a pic but my lighting is really bad.. i will try again tomorrow.

I loosened up my belt and tried to let the chapman stick rest more on the chair.. That allready feels better.. If i can get a good shot of my playing tomorrow i will put it up here..

My back is truly grateful for your helpful feedback... :-)

Blessings

Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:00 pm