It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:28 am

Thinking about getting a Stick.. 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Thinking about getting a Stick..
Kind of thinking out loud here, but maybe you guys can advise me. I recently bought a used Megatar, and am finding I really like the tapping style. I'm thinking that a 10-string Stick would be much more comfortable for my small hands, though, and I've been pondering buying one. Here are my thoughts on it:

Used Stick: It'd be less expensive, and I would get one faster. It might not be exactly the Stick I want, but it'd make for a good instrument to practice on. But there is also the risk of buying used equipment, and it may not be up to par with all the latest features of a newly made Stick. Also, I think if the Stick ends up sticking with me (no pun intended), I would eventually buy a brand new one with all the specs I want.

New Stick: It'd be kind of expensive and would take awhile to build. But I figure the wait is less of a factor, since I have my Megatar to toy with while I wait. The wait can also be an advantage since I can save up some money. I'd also get exactly what I want. Only problem with that is since I'm new to it, I don't exactly know exactly what I want. I know a lot of it is adjustable, but my main concern is 10 vs 12 strings. I don't really know what my hands can handle and what my range needs will be until I play the instrument for awhile.

Stay with the Megatar for now: This is my third thought. Maybe I'm taking things too fast, and I should just play with what I got for now. Then, make a decision when the instrument sinks in a bit more. Problem is, I'd be practicing on a completely different setup. I have the Megatar in uncrossed 4ths since the neck is a bit wide, but if I got a Stick I'd have it crossed with 5ths on the bass.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:27 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Thinking about getting a Stick..
Not to start another "Megetar VS Stick" war on this site but they are NOT the same! I owned a Megetar several years ago so I know from experience.

If I were you I'd check out used Sticks right now because the economy is bad and you can probably find a good deal. It's a good idea to stay with adjustable neck and bridged Sticks for the flexability and the ease of keeping the neck dead straight if you have a choice but even very old Sticks can be great instruments. And if you get an old iron wood or Polycarb Stick with no truss rod Stick enterprises can retrofit one for you and make the Stick in many cases BETTER than it was new.

New is always great if you don't mind the wait and can afford it. The only option I wouldn't do is stay with the Megetar. They are valid tapping instruments to be sure but they aren't designed or worn like the Stick and IMO aren't in the same league. The experience you get playing a Megetar mainly do to design differences IS NOT the same as the Stick. IMO it's a poor substitute.

OH if you're looking for a used Stick I highly recommend buying from a forum member before going outside. Members on this forum tend to be nice people who form long lasting cyber-friendships with other members. Far less chance you'll be taken advantage of!

Good luck!

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:22 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I like the range of six strings per side (12 total). Some here will say the stickist needs to be able to change positions with ease, which is certainly true, but 12 strings does require less shifting. I do find myself using all 12 string. Also with 12 strings there is more overlap of range which does give you more fingering/arrangement options.

http://www.alliedmusicinstructors.com/Jeff.html

Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:12 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

jeffcomas wrote:
I like the range of six strings per side (12 total). Some here will say the stickist needs to be able to change positions with ease, which is certainly true, but 12 strings does require less shifting. I do find myself using all 12 string. Also with 12 strings there is more overlap of range which does give you more fingering/arrangement options.

I've thought about this, and I really like the flexibility of the extra strings, but my main concern is the wider neck. I'm 5'6" and my hands aren't very big, so I'm wondering if it would be too much reaching with the 12 string..

Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:13 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Nomad - what is the total width of the Megatar neck? And your hand reach? (Measure from end of little finger to thumb, with hand stretched to maximum.) Might help to compare to a Grand Stick and other people's hand sizes.

Cheers,

EG

Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:03 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Nomad Monday wrote:
I'm thinking that a 10-string Stick would be much more comfortable for my small hands, though
But a 12-string Stick has a closer spacing between each string! I'm a total beginner and when my first 12-str arrived I was amazed by how narrow the strings are positioned. But that's good when you get used to it because it makes it easier to tap two strings with one finger tip. I have small hands too and I have gotten used to simply play differently whenever something isn't possible to do with my hands. Good thing with that approach is that it may help you to find a sound of your own, a way to play that you like to stick with as an expression. Having 12 strings is nice also because you can experiment with tapping a chord notes differently and also explore interesting rhythmic patterns by combining strings on both bass and melody side to be played by all five fingers of your right hand ("dancing spider" thing, thumb on bass and rest on melo side)

I have no hands-on experience with Megatars but as you I thought about getting one. But deep online research and discussion with other players made me decide to get a Stick instead. I have one now, since a couple of weeks, and I can only say that I am happy I made that choice. The PASV-4 pickups sound excellent IMO and the fret rails are felt by the finger so you won't have to look so much at the fretboard to navigate. I just can't express how good my stick is; you simply plug it in and every frequency comes out totally clear and powerful!

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:04 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Nomad Monday wrote:
Kind of thinking out loud here, but maybe you guys can advise me. I recently bought a used Megatar, and am finding I really like the tapping style. I'm thinking that a 10-string Stick would be much more comfortable for my small hands, though, and I've been pondering buying one. Here are my thoughts on it:

Used Stick: It'd be less expensive, and I would get one faster. It might not be exactly the Stick I want, but it'd make for a good instrument to practice on. But there is also the risk of buying used equipment, and it may not be up to par with all the latest features of a newly made Stick. Also, I think if the Stick ends up sticking with me (no pun intended), I would eventually buy a brand new one with all the specs I want.

New Stick: It'd be kind of expensive and would take awhile to build. But I figure the wait is less of a factor, since I have my Megatar to toy with while I wait. The wait can also be an advantage since I can save up some money. I'd also get exactly what I want. Only problem with that is since I'm new to it, I don't exactly know exactly what I want. I know a lot of it is adjustable, but my main concern is 10 vs 12 strings. I don't really know what my hands can handle and what my range needs will be until I play the instrument for awhile.

Stay with the Megatar for now: This is my third thought. Maybe I'm taking things too fast, and I should just play with what I got for now. Then, make a decision when the instrument sinks in a bit more. Problem is, I'd be practicing on a completely different setup. I have the Megatar in uncrossed 4ths since the neck is a bit wide, but if I got a Stick I'd have it crossed with 5ths on the bass.

Hi Damon,

As a drummer, used to larger physical movements as a way of making music, I'd suggest that a 10-string Stick would be a good choice (that is, if you decide not to go with option #3). You may find it easier to identify with movement across the frets than across the strings. The difference in string spacing is not that noticeable, especially since Emmett widened the Grand board slightly a few years back. I move back and forth between 10 and 12 without noticing it much (except on the Ten String Grand, on which the difference is more pronounced).

As a practical matter, there are many more used 10-strings out there, and the playing method is the same.

There were only 10-string Sticks available until 1991. Jut judging by the music that's been made by players who started out on those instruments, there's no reason to believe that it inhibited anyone's development as a player to only have 10 strings. You can make tons of music with 10 strings. The extra notes are nice, but they're not essential.

If you buy a used Stick, chances are it will be in good shape. If there are minor problems, you can send it back to SE for a tuneup and get an instrument back that plays like new.
The important thing is to get going on the playing method. And unlike the uncrossed approach (which some people with guitar backgrounds seem to feel initially more at home with), the feeling of reaching across the strings is totally different. It's more "hand tapping" and less "finger tapping". Free Hands.

I don't have particularly small or large hands. I play both 10 and 12-string Sticks, so I have no agenda regarding either. But to me a 10-string fretboard is more like a sports car.

zoom zoom

Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:07 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Now that you uncrossed it, the neck of your Megatar should be ok even with small hands. Give it a try for a few months, and start saving now; if you decide that it doesn't work for you, you will be closer (in $$) to your new instrument. I'm sure you will be able to transfer most of what you have now to any other tapping instrument without too much problem.
Move your hand instead of stretching it. Tapping should be almost effortless, if you have a sore hand after practicing most probably you are tensing and stretching your hand too much. Relax, move around and have fun!

Cheers, Daniel.

Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:39 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Thanks for the input, everyone. Some good food for thought.

evilgus wrote:
Nomad - what is the total width of the Megatar neck? And your hand reach? (Measure from end of little finger to thumb, with hand stretched to maximum.) Might help to compare to a Grand Stick and other people's hand sizes.

Cheers,

EG

Good question. The Megatar is 3 1/2" at the nut and tapers out to 4 7/8" at the 24th fret. My hand reach is about 8".

Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:46 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Nomad, What do you think about the action on the Megatar??? Does it feel comfortable to you???

Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:55 pm