It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:50 pm

Divided Truss - First impressions 
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Re: Divided truss - First impressions
Hey Chris,

I'm happy to wait, but the guy I have in mind for the job, Jeff Mallia, is a true artist with wood and I wouldn't hesitate to trust it with him. Started out making violins, moved to making custom basses (think Fodera quality) and also restores vintage classical guitars and other instruments. We haven't talked about Sticks much lately, but he's done some repair/custom pickup work on a few of my prized/vintage basses over the years and done them proud.

Cheers,

EG

Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:08 am

bizon wrote:
I would gladly do a proper setup on your instrument. PM me and we can arrange a time to meet.

James - thanks for setting me 'straight' with regards to the action on my stick. It gives me a much better frame of reference as to how to successfully tweak from time to time.

For the benefit of any other noobs out there - it is really worth finding an experienced player that knows their instrument to keep you on the 'straight' and narrow.

Blessings James!

Sam

Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:00 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Sam,

Thanks for the kind words, it was my pleasure.

I was speaking with Justin last night and we are planning a regular get-together, once a week, for any interested Stick players in the greater Sydney area. I think this would be good for all of us, being at different skill levels, to learn from one another and inspire each other in our musical growth.

Cheers,
James

Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:45 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Just to let everyone interested in this subject know, Emmett's initial article on the subject is now up on stick.com:

ImageImage

http://www.stick.com/instruments/constr ... ded_truss/

Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:35 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

One thing to point out, and it may be because the Divided Truss, unlike the original one, is pinned down at the middle of the neck, is when adjusting it (at one end or the other) to that in-between point where there is no tension either way, the truss actually pops out about half an inch, so that the nut and washer are sticking out and away from the routed, T-shaped "thrust cavity". This in itself isn't a big deal, just unique to the Divided Truss and something to be aware of. To prevent this, the truss needs to be held in place with one hand while it's tightened or loosened to the point where it catches, otherwise it will not sit in the channel properly.

Just FYI.

Cheers,
James

Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:37 pm

Post Re: Divided Truss - First impressions
Given how important ultra light action is to Stick technique, I think this might qualify as a really substantial new design feature, and I hope you guys will keep posting about it as the new instruments trickle out.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:05 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Re: Divided Truss - First impressions
I've witnessed it in action and it's appearing to be a pretty significant advancement in Stick setup!

EG

Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:09 am