It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:58 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 What one stick design change would you like to see? 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post What one stick design change would you like to see?
We all know that the stick is a perfect, timeless triumph of design, musicality and innovation, but is there any part of it that you would like to see changed somewhere down the line?

I've set up my two sticks a few times, initial set-up, changing string sizes etc. and the one aspect that I really don't like is the fact that the strings sit right on top of the screw that adjusts the height. This means that it can take a lot of string loosening over and over again when finding the optimum position. I think that it would be really useful having more of a guitar type saddle which could be altered without moving the string right off of it every time.

Admittedly, there isn't a lot of space down there what with up to 12 strings, So it would possibly need another dose of spectacular innovation.

Well, that's my 2c. Any other musings?

Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:38 am
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: What one stick design change would you like to see?
twizzle wrote:
I really don't like is the fact that the strings sit right on top of the screw that adjusts the height. This means that it can take a lot of string loosening over and over again when finding the optimum position.

This is not actually a design change idea, but rather my method of doing what you are describing above that you may find more efficient.

I have tweaked my action more than my fair share and this is what I do...

Lay the Stick is a secure place horizontally perhaps using big book of proper thickness. (or if you happen to have the perfect leather chair in your office where you can just lay it it across the arms)

Using something with a round hook like a wine cork screw and yes without loosening any strings very gently hook around the string immediately above the bridge screw.

With your other hand pitching the string from the other side of the screw gently and slowly lift the string out of the notch and lay it down right beside the screw to be adjusted.

(Extra Note: You can do this with just your fingers but without the hooking device it is very difficult to lay it down slowly and securely ensuring no damage so the hook provides security while your fingers accuracy and precision.)

Adjust screw as desired, notating the changes.

Now simply reverse the procedure to place the string back where it belongs.

The instrument should now still be reasonably in tune plus or minus the minor difference caused by the alteration in height of the screw.

I have done this method quite allot and at least with the Classic tuning and light gauge strings I have never broke a string yet and it is very easy and quick. But definitely be careful not to slap the string back it place or allow the edges of the screw to score the string upon removal or replacement.

I hope this helps.

-Curtis

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:23 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Interesting, I usually loosten the string first with a few turns of the machinehead. I'd have thought that there was too much tension there - I'll try it next time.

Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:02 am
Contributor
Contributor

Now don't blame me if it pops you in the face, but the stretch really should be any more than doing a bend only about a 1/4".

Perhaps safety glasses should be advised.

Curtis

Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:06 am

I'd slightly increase the space between the fifth and sixth strings (on a 10 string) while maintaining the spacing between the other strings. I'm not talking any more than 5 millimeters, if that, because I don't want to hamper playing on both the melody and bass strings at the same time with one hand. I would move it just enough to make it easier to play on the fifth string with the right hand. My pinkie keeps thumping string six when playing string five.

Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:49 pm
Contributor
Contributor

I have never touched a 10 string but I thought that the string spacing was already wider than the 12.

I noticed than on my brand new Bamboo 12 String the spacing between strings 6 and 7 (or Melody and Bass string sets) is noticeably wider. Nothing dramatic but definitely wider. In fact, the whole fretboard is a bit wider to the degree that the Stickup is slightly modified to accommodate the additional width.

I believe this slight change took place sometime around a year ago because I recall Greg Howard talking about it at the Stick seminar last April or May.

-Curtis

Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:56 pm

Yep, a 10 string grand would be a better fit for me, but I'm happy with ol' 748 right now. It certainly would make arpeggiating stacked fourths easier.

Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:01 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

twizzle wrote:
We all know that the stick is a perfect, timeless triumph of design, musicality and innovation, but is there any part of it that you would like to see changed somewhere down the line?

I've set up my two sticks a few times, initial set-up, changing string sizes etc. and the one aspect that I really don't like is the fact that the strings sit right on top of the screw that adjusts the height. This means that it can take a lot of string loosening over and over again when finding the optimum position. I think that it would be really useful having more of a guitar type saddle which could be altered without moving the string right off of it every time.

Admittedly, there isn't a lot of space down there what with up to 12 strings, So it would possibly need another dose of spectacular innovation.

Well, that's my 2c. Any other musings?

Hi twizzle,

As someone who ends up setting up a lot of Sticks, particularly at seminars, I hear you. Having to take the string off is a bit of an inconvenience. I like the side-saddle design on the NS/Stick bridge, which has a very solid contact with the instrument, and is easily adjustable for both string height and intonation without having to take off the string.

There is one benefit to Emmett's design over conventional saddle blocks. The contact and support of the string on Emmett's design is much more snug and secure than with a saddle block that is only supported by a couple of tiny Allen screws.

Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:09 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I would like to have interchangeable pickups. I'm not sure that it is possible since the electronics are different and I'm sure that Emmet already though about this since it will be easier to route the all blanks equally regardless of the pickup.
I like locking tuners too but my stick stays in tune and the action of tuners is very good, so I don't think the cost / benefit ratio will justify sperzels.
May be the steinberger tuners http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Steinberger_Gearless_Tuners.html, they seem to be amazing (40:1 !!!!!)
Or a hipshot extender (or similar) in the highest bass string (to switch from/to high bass 4th).
Another thing that I would love is piezos instead of the GK3, but again that will mean a complete redesign of the bridge (and some room for the electronics).
Some kind of a spike (like a cello) to play seated?

Basically the minimalistic design of the stick is very very good, and Emmet is always looking for improvements and innovations so I'm sure there is a reason (ergonomy / economy or manufacturing) why not to have the above features. Sometimes less is more ;-)

Daniel

Last edited by arsacane on Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:58 pm
Contributor
Contributor

I am with you on the Interchangable pickup modules a Stickup rehousing would go along way towards that. It would not surprise me if that is already in the works but current Stickup supply delays it's implementation.

On the tuners, I have Gotoh Locking tuners on order for my bamboo that are 1:21, but 1:40. That may be over kill but I like the idea of it. They must just have threads that pull the string in and the 1:40 must be an equivalent since they say they have no gears and 1:40 is a gear ratio. Pretty wild I have never seen those. I have to admit that the Stick would look very different (almost weird) to me without the tuners sticking out and the outside string angle would be very extreme. Brilliantly efficient design though, quite amazing.

-Curtis

Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:56 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next