It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:11 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 What one stick design change would you like to see? 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: What one stick design change would you like to see?
arsacane wrote:
Some kind of a spike (like a cello) to play seated?

Daniel

+1. This is actually a rather simple and effective idea.
Has any player toyed with the concept?

And those are some sweet tuners :o

Skype Me™!

Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:48 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

+1 for an interchangeable pickup including the Stickup, and for a hipshot on some tuners

Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:01 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hi,

My main concern has been the plastic belt hook, which has more to do with the material than the actual design.
Apparently some people have metal ones, which I would prefer.
I'm also a bit worried about the little contraption that holds the strap in place. I replaced my original one, but the second one started going a bit wonky after a relatively short period of regular use.

Relatively small points on an instrument that seems almost indestructible.

Cheers,
Andy

http://andysalvanos.com/

Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:14 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Perhaps a Schaller or Dunlop strap-lock would do the trick and be better in terms of longevity... it would be more expensive I guess.

Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:22 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

I would like to see another strap system that utilises one single guitar-strap and doesn’t need a belt. There have been pics off something like that on the old forum, a construction utilising an icehockey bat. This one works great (I built my own version of it.). But it looks ugly! I would love to see something similar professionally made.

… and +1 for increased string spacing on the grand (a “grand – grand” so to speak ;-))

Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:34 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Well I don't really have a suggestion for the Stick, I love it the way it is! However I do have some ideas for the NS Stick.

I'd love to see Linear fret markers offered for the NS Stick and I think having a rod or rail fret option for the NS would be nice too. ................ And Strap locks! ;)

I ordered my NS the way it is and I'm sure when i get it I'll love it just the way it is! But I think linear fret markers are just "cool," I would have ordered them if it were an option, and I like the idea of frets that will last more or less forever like rods and rails. And I never gig with an instrument without strap locks. Too many near disasters with straps coming off the guitars.

I know I'll LOVE the NS Stick when I get it and I'll find a way to add a top strap lock to it. (The body strap lock will be a standard swap.) Perhaps as the instrument get's more in demand it'll be worth it for SE to offer more options.

Again ... just suggestions, food for thought for future options.

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:47 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Shedua511 wrote:
Perhaps a Schaller or Dunlop strap-lock would do the trick and be better in terms of longevity... it would be more expensive I guess.
Allow me to quote myself ;) Since I have both Dunlop and Schaller straplocks equipped straps I took a colser look and I think both can easily be fitted to a Stick strap. The existing system works for me, so I'm not doing this myself, but it should be a straight forward DIY (at your own risk!). You might want to discuss this modification with SE to make sure there are no problems to this.
I think the Schaller model might work better, and, at least in Norway, it is cheaper.

1) Remove the oval metal pieces form the Stick strap, by bending the pointed anchors on the rear,
2) Put a straplock in the hole and secure it,
3) Remove the twist-on lock from the Stick and drill a hole between the two existing holes,
4) Install the new strap pin.

And that should be it :D

Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:17 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I love the Grand Grand idea! I have large hands and long fingers, and the .315" on my 10-string is a tad snug. I haven't played a 10-Grand, but I imagine that the .350" spacing would be perfect for me. I can't imagine comfortably playing a 12-Grand with .300" spacing. If there was a Grand option with .350" string spacing I'd jump on that.

Kris

Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:52 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

CurtisAbbott wrote:
It would not surprise me if that is already in the works but current Stickup supply delays it's implementation.

Well you can alway keep the current stickup implementation as it is and do a stickup-block for the ones that have a block equiped stick and want a also stickup sound (I believe there is a market for this). A grand XG with a stickup sound anyone ;-) ?
And since there is more room in the block there is the possibility to add some basic features to the stickup (i.e a mono switch and tone controls).

Not having a body here is a con since there is not much room for pickups and electronics. I imagine a custom block with a stickup in the bass part a an active Bartolini in the melody, yummy ;-)

Daniel

Last edited by arsacane on Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:16 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

I've considered the idea of an 11 string Grand with the 6 bass strings the way they are (especially in my 4ths tuning, the narrower the better for the wide chord voicings) and 5 melody strings like a 10-string Grand for more spacing. But with practice I seem to get more comfortable at the narrow spacing and I'm not sure I would want to give up the lowest melody string.

But the narrow space between the string groups can still be a bit of a challenge for me (and it may be magnified with my tuning, since I often have to play a root note with a finger somewhat curled, which if I'm not careful causes the low bass string to shift a bit towards the melody string). I believe Curtis is correct when he says the new Grands now have slightly wider (but still narrower than 10 string) string spacing and larger distance between string groups.

Rosewood Grand Stick #7025 - Mirrored 4ths 5+7
Paduak Grand Stick #5197 - Mirrored 4ths 6+6

Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:17 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next