It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:05 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 What one stick design change would you like to see? 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: What one stick design change would you like to see?
The belt hook is the primary reason I sought a new instrument... originally an NS, but through dumb luck ended up a Warr Phalanx.

I love the sound of the stick. The rigidity of the instrument in a heavy rock performance context was a drag for me. Perhaps an alternate belt system would draw more rock players?? Just a thought...

The NS is still slammin' in my book.

K

-- Mikhail Bakunin

Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:43 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

regarding the belt hook...

I wanted to ask you guys who have posted about the belt hook being a problem for you. Are you wearing a second belt or using your pants belt?

I always felt I could move about more freely using a second belt, and I've never broken a belt hook (in 24 years of playing - standing, seated, jumping around, dodging beer bottles, etc.)

Hoping to come to a good solution for you...

Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:23 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Always a second belt for me, and always under my shirt.
I think the original pants-belt idea probably worked better in the 70's when everyone was wearing those big leather belts with tight bellbottom jeans! :lol:
Breaking belt hooks hasn't been a problem for me since I got rid of the extra thick belt and went back to a regular black "camping shop" variety.

Cheers,
Andy

http://andysalvanos.com/

Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:38 am
Contributor
Contributor

In terms of stick design change I agree with the belt hook issue but from a different perspective. I really like to explore strumming and fingerpicking the melody side of the stick as well as using fingerstyle on the bass side. All of these techniques are possible even at grand stick spacing but would be much easier if the stick could be rotated to play a bit more horizontally (even though i hang mine just north of 45 degrees). The belt hook for me should change to not only be more robust but also easily detachable with a second more conventional strap option, that would ideally allow the stick to be shifted between vertical play, through 45 degrees into a more horizontal orientation for added techniques, in much the same way as the warr or NS are.

I don't think that the belt hook would lose anything in having a detachment system and if Emmett could dream up a functional strap system to do what i've descibed then we could have the best of both worlds.

The alternative approach i would love is to develop a 12 string NS stick tuned/spaced like a regular 10 string grand stick that could be used for all techniques. I have just acquired an NS and while i feel it has a lot of potential, i think wide spacing just slows one down and most traditional techniques can be achieved at guitar spacing with some practise. A 10 or 12 string NS would have that great tone, allow all of the stick techniques and guitar techniques and shift easily between all of them - and look awesome in the process! Can anyone do a mockup to salivate over?..

Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:40 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

adde65 wrote:
Always a second belt for me, and always under my shirt.
I think the original pants-belt idea probably worked better in the 70's when everyone was wearing those big leather belts with tight bellbottom jeans! :lol:
Breaking belt hooks hasn't been a problem for me since I got rid of the extra thick belt and went back to a regular black "camping shop" variety.

Cheers,
Andy

I just use a canvass belt. It "gives" nicely but still holds the instrument in position snugly enough.

Having tried other instruments, including the NS, I've found one advantage Emmett's belthook and shoulder strap has over other strap systems is that it angles the instrument back towards your shoulder.

I think this is really useful for getting the optimal hand angles, especially in the left hand for playing sustaining arpeggios, and it makes it a lot easier to see what you're doing as well.

Maybe it's just what I'm used to, and has more to do with the way I play, but I think that "angling back" aspect of the Stick's positioning is really more comfortable, especially for the left wrist.

Interesting ideas you folks have, though.

Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:03 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I always use my pant belts, because I feel more connected to the instrument this way. When I used a second belt, I felt the instrument was too far away from my body... :|

Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:44 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I've never had a problem with the belt hook, I actually hook it both over my belt and right into my pants for extra support. I do keep myself in shape though so I don't have any belly issues, which I can see might make the standard hook tricky.

If anything inhibits the Stick from being rotated out more I think it's the neck/shoulder strap. It'd be cool to have one that has sort of a retractable clip, like a lanyard, so that if you wanted to pull it out some you could do that. Maybe in that case the belt hook would have to be able to rotate as well?

Kris

Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:59 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Maybe just changing the material the hook is made out of is the way to go? I use a 2" nylon holster belt - works great. I've never broken a hook - I would think it's the flat piece that slips behind the belt that is breaking. So why not make it out of carbon fiber? Strong, lightweight, relatively easy to have made. Yea, it costs a bit more but it would be significantly stronger. A nice alternative to metal which I would think would be a bit to stiff.

Dave

[color=#0000CC]http://www.ambientstickist.com

Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:08 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

For me, it always broke at the location of the screws heads.

Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:50 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

grozoeil wrote:
For me, it always broke at the location of the screws heads.

The same here...

Cheers, Daniel.

Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:29 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next