It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:40 am

The work progresses! My 10 string Poly is almost ready! 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: The work progresses! My 10 string Poly is almost ready!
Great to see this progress, it's a good looking instrument!

Bamboo Grand #7363 MR ACTV2, Tarara Grand #5677 MR PASV4
Tap In Time Podcast: tapintime.podbean.com/

Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:27 pm

Gusset wrote:
Great to see this progress, it's a good looking instrument!

It's a sweet looking ride, as my work compatriots say. Then again, two of them are young enough to be my son's!

Her name is Poly. Now let's see what I can learn...
Attachment:
20230612_115213.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Basscapes - 1989 Polycarbonate 10-String, Stickup, non-truss, sn#2758.

Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:04 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

basscapes wrote:

Thanks for the insight!
I may be dropping the tuning a half step to get the playable C. Then again, I might not!
My other fish to fry is getting used to how it sits (or making it fit me a bit better!).

You can check the intonation as David noted above.

As far as position, it's really more about how your arms and hands relate to the fretbaord, less about where the pickup / controls end up. I think many of us end up setting the volume all the way up and never touching it. You might also try using a separate belt for the Stick.

Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:38 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Claire wrote:
You might also try using a separate belt for the Stick.

A 50mm (2") webbing 'work belt' does a good job as a Stick belt. If you use one with a quick release buckle you can set the length just right so all you need to do is clip it on & slot in the Stick.

If you play seated you can either use a belt or try a lapbar (bought or home made). If you search the forum for "Stick stand" ideas (either stood up or seated), be prepared for a long read... :D

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic

Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:31 am

DavidWS wrote:
Claire wrote:
You might also try using a separate belt for the Stick.

A 50mm (2") webbing 'work belt' does a good job as a Stick belt. If you use one with a quick release buckle you can set the length just right so all you need to do is clip it on & slot in the Stick.

If you play seated you can either use a belt or try a lapbar (bought or home made). If you search the forum for "Stick stand" ideas (either stood up or seated), be prepared for a long read... :D

I may have to look into both ideas (belt and a seated bar). Studio time almost always dictates playing seated (with bass and guitar, anyway), while live playing has almost always denoted standing.

Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:20 am

Re: tuning down a half step: I had my older Stick tuned down a semi for several years... by accident! (I tuned it looking at a manual for a 36" scale Stick, which allows for an extra semi lower). It works, but recently I tuned it back to "proper" tuning. It's subtle, but the intonation is better, the string tension a little less slack, and the tone more consistent between strings. I miss the low C but prefer the overall sound of the instrument tuned at proper pitch. Your mileage may vary!

Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:58 pm

captaindownbeat wrote:
Re: tuning down a half step: I had my older Stick tuned down a semi for several years... by accident! (I tuned it looking at a manual for a 36" scale Stick, which allows for an extra semi lower). It works, but recently I tuned it back to "proper" tuning. It's subtle, but the intonation is better, the string tension a little less slack, and the tone more consistent between strings. I miss the low C but prefer the overall sound of the instrument tuned at proper pitch. Your mileage may vary!

Well, I thought the same until I realized the scale length too!
I've found (so far) that tuning by tapping the 12th fret gives my tuner (Strobostomp HD) an easier go with tracking the note; the open string, being muted also tended to be a bit sharp, causing me to tune flat! LOL

Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:41 pm

So, the latest development in getting this Stick up and running; fixing a belt to it that works for me.

I ended up (for now) modifying a regular guitar strap to work with it. I simply attached the strap ends to the belt hook ( the ends have quick release clips).

A perfect solution? No, not quite yet. Still contemplating a seated position bar or similar.

Worst thing is trying to reconcile my bass guitar forms for Stick positions (in particular, the left arm).

One pic is a mirror image, as I'm actually a right-handed player.

Baby steps...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jun 18, 2023 4:16 pm

I find the simplest belt solution is simply another regular old pants-belt, sitting just under my belly/above my hips, just above my actual pants belt. Cinch it nice and tight. Others use weightlifters belts and such.

As for the bass positions.... oddly enough, since it's already "backwards" and in a vertical position, my left hand eventually stopped trying to do bass fingering. Plus, if you focus more on bass-note-plus-voicing, (ie, root-3rd-7th, in major, minor and dominant variations) your left hand will focus on "new things" instead of trying to struggle with "old things."

Good luck!
Dylan

Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:23 am