It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:50 pm

Considering getting a 10-string; classic Stick or Railboard? 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Considering getting a 10-string; classic Stick or Railbo
I think others have given you good information, but I’ll add my two cents.

I have a rosewood (baritone melody) and a Railboard (matched reciprocal). The Railboard is a lot heavier. Enough so that it took me a while to develop the strength to carry it one-handed.* However this makes no difference at all when playing the instrument as it’s supported by a belt, lap bar or stand. Once I have the instrument strapped on, the weight is a complete non-issue.

I’d say the Railboard’s feel and sound is a tiny bit more to my liking, but given that I’m madly in love with both of them this is almost irrelevant.

With regard to the wider spacing of the Railboard, I honestly don’t know whether that’s an advantage or a liability. I go back-and-forth between the two and am not particularly aware of the difference. There is one piece that I can easily play on both instruments. I usually play it on the matched reciprocal Railboard, but if I have the baritone melody in hand and want to play this piece, I’ll just rip through it. This is the only time the difference in string spacing becomes noticeable. Having developed the muscle memory for this piece on the wider Railboard, I’m a little more inclined to trip over my fingers, but after running through it once or twice I quickly get re-acclimated to the slightly more closely-spaced strings.

*Note that part of my difficulty is my age. One’s skin becomes dryer as you get older, thus requiring a tighter grip to keep something from slipping through the hand, one of the reasons the elderly can appear “clumsy” because we’re more prone to dropping things as a result. Also, the edges of the Railboard are thinner, so there is less surface to grip. All that said, none of this should really be a factor in your decision.

Rosewood #1027 Baritone Melody, StickUps
Blue Railboard #7228 Matched Reciprocal, EMG block

Mon May 29, 2023 2:01 pm