It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:34 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Wow 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Wow
rwkeating wrote:
David, it looks like the Seymour Duncan Hot Rails have bar magnets and not pole pieces, so yes, the same.

The combinatoin of a bar magnet & high output (in guitar terms) seems like an interesting combination for adventurous Stick players?

Looking at the drawing https://www.seymourduncan.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/HB-6-String-Strat-Size-Rails.pdf it's 0.85" deep (~22m).

Notably deeper than a Stickup housing. Would protrude a little from a PASV4 style housing (& there seem to be a small radius on the rail in excess of that dimension?)

I have a couple of PASV4's that are still working, old (1985) Stickups still working, and some new Stickups on the way, so hopefully I won't be needing to get adventurous for a while!

Of course adventures aren't always taken because they are needed... ;)

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic

Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:17 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Thanks Russell.

Like you said they look very tall. Also there are no specs on dimensions. I would have to reach out to them to get dimensions or a drawing.

The only option is for six strings, not sure if I want to spend $200 to try something. Although I may have to.

I guess there might be some overlapping between the bass and the melody side. Not sure how that will sound, it will definitely be an experiment. My issue is with 10 string sticks.

I'll have to do some research on bar pickups and their dimensions.

I may have to buy a stick up just to deconstruct it.

I have butchered a pasv4. They are a pain in the ass to work with, the little springs in the screws tend to clamp to the magnet so you kind of have to hold the springs and get the screw through before It gets sucked into the magnet again. Tedious work.

Thank you everybody for all the great information I'm receiving so far.

Stick Sticksticstiikstickastick

Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:19 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

ReyStick wrote:
Like you said they look very tall. Also there are no specs on dimensions. I would have to reach out to them to get dimensions or a drawing.

See my post just above (we posted at just about the same time).

Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:21 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

David,
I can't seem to open that PDF file I looked at the website and can't find that particular pickup.

Stick Sticksticstiikstickastick

Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:25 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

ReyStick wrote:
I can't seem to open that PDF file I looked at the website and can't find that particular pickup.

That's odd. I just tried the link & it loaded fine (& I'm on a different computer, on a different Internet connection to when I found it).

It was on the page that Russell linked (which also works from here), in the 'Wiring & Resources' tab of the 'Product Details' section of the page.

I'm accessing from the UK. I assume Russell was accessing from the US?

I hope that helps.

Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:25 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Correct David, I accessed it from the US.

Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:36 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

ReyStick wrote:
People are selling sticks for $8,000 now.

Wow indeed! 8k for a stick, and I told the guy selling his SB8 for 2700 that it was a bit ambitious, but after reading this and seeing the prices on Reverb, it seems fairly priced.

Support: bitcoin:bc1qedfg9z55ux3tlnf7qnnu3vggv8vant604dasye?message=Donate

http://www.instagram.com/waltschwarzkopf

Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:22 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

well lets face it, used goes for big money because used is immediate, no waiting two plus years or whatever it's going to take to get a new instrument made.

time is money.... and some people will spend that kind of money so they don't lose all that time.

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:01 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Big George Waters wrote:
well lets face it, used goes for big money because used is immediate, no waiting two plus years or whatever it's going to take to get a new instrument made.

But also consider that what people ask for isn't necessairily what they get.

If someone puts an $8,000 price tag on an instrument, but it never sells, or does sell but for less, then the price isn't really $8,000.

Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:41 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Yes, that is true... but let me give you an example if I may:

For quite sometime, I have been dreaming about purchasing a Grand Stick, one of the original production [as opposed to prototype] 34 inch scale ones that is set up 5 bass 7 melody, which I believe was the original intention.

Anyhow, good luck finding one of those !! so I've considered going the Railboard route to get my dream Stick going.

Granted, it's a long long wait - which is a good thing, because one can send payments along the process so in the end it's not painful to purchase.

But, if one is mulling over the possibility of maybe a two year wait [disclaimer I am just tossing that number out there - I don't know what it would be] and the price would be maybe $3k, again... just a guess - it's easy to say well, maybe I should see if something comes up for sale that could work, and indeed that midi Grand which came up for sale here at what some thought was a high price - sold very quickly, and truth be told if I had the dough, it would have been sold to me for the sellers asking price which, I forget - it was in the range of 3700 to 4000 right ?? I honestly forget.

My point is if something is out there and the price is up there - it's quite possible someone may bite.

A while back I did see an original Grand Stick set up 5 bass 7 melody in Classic and Crafty tunings on either ebay or Reverb, it was out of Japan, and the sale was ended [not sold] so it must have been on Reverb, man what a beautiful instrument !!

I just tried to find the link but I can't, I guess I did not save it or deleted it knowing I could not buy it.

The price was high, over $5000.00 if I recall correctly - but you know what, if I had the money I would have gladly paid that - because those instruments are super super rare.

By the way, where is the ad for an 8k stick ??
It's not in this thread.

Is this the stick that belonged to some famous musician that was recently listed ??

I saw an A.M.P. head that was for sale for a stupid high price, then I came to realize it belonged to Jaco Pastorious.... to me, that's go to count for something.

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:21 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next