It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:47 pm

Wow 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Wow
Big George Waters wrote:
My point is if something is out there and the price is up there - it's quite possible someone may bite.

Absolutely. I totally get the point. While I've been waiting for the Stick order I placed in September 2021 I've been fortunate to pick up something to be playing in the meantime. The price of one of those Sticks was roughly based on the price of the nearest equivalent current offering. I weighed up the options & went for it.

As a result I had a newish (~14 years old) fully adjustable, Stick over a year ago.

Earlier this week Jeff's guesstimate was that I might get that September 2021 order Stick in as little as a couple of months time...

All that said, my point remains. The price of an item is not what is asked for, it's what is accepted.

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic

Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:42 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

ReyStick wrote:
There's got to be a way to recreate the pasv4 to some extent, or get close to it.
The NS has 4 emg pickups. Maybe there is a way to get 5 pole emg's and use them in a block for 10 string sticks.
Quite a bit of engineering involved.
I'm guessing I'm going to have to wind my own coils and make my own housing.
I wouldn't change the stickup if I can get one for my 10 grand, and sb8, and soon to have railboard, I would have it, and be done. Maybe figure out a way to add some switches.

I actually did that, built my own stickup. I 3D printed the housing, wound my own coils using screws as pole pieces, and did all the wiring and soldering. I was not 100% happy with the sound, but pretty cool that it worked as a first attempt.

I was trying to keep it low budget, so everything was DIY. So if anyone has the means or parts, we can totally 3D a housing that accommodates any pickups in any position!

AFAIK, SD's rails and (some) EMG do have pole pieces, so alignment is not paramount, still I'm pretty anal about this I would probably try to position them as symetric as possible. And if anyone want to use single coils, humbuckers, or any other type with pole piece it can be done. Now I'm thinking dual "p-bass" split humbuckers for my SB8...

I'm pretty handy with CAD, so we could make a few standard "blank" housings and then add whatever combination of pickups and switches are needed.

Support: bitcoin:bc1qedfg9z55ux3tlnf7qnnu3vggv8vant604dasye?message=Donate

http://www.instagram.com/waltschwarzkopf

Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:33 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

ReyStick wrote:
There's got to be a way to recreate the pasv4 to some extent, or get close to it.

Maybe there is a way to get 5 pole emg's and use them in a block for 10 string sticks.

I had some spare time at work and decided to do this. Basically I measured "The Block" from my SB8 and made the housing, took standard EMG "strat" single coils, a 1/4" stereo jack, and a few rotary knobs for effect.

What do you think?
Attachment:
DualBlock.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:54 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

waltschwarzkopf wrote:
took standard EMG "strat" single coils

Keep in mind that the original TheBlock pickup has front "tele" pickups, not "strat". I just used what I could find on the 3D for this version to show what could be done. In the end we can try to fit any pickup and electronics we want :)

Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:15 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I read somewhere that the Stick pickup housings had some special material added to their injection moldings to block outside interference from reaching the pickup modules. (Like a Faraday cage) Some guitar manufacturers use pickup modules with a metal cover that essentially does the same thing.

Instruments and amplifiers can sometimes have an isolated hot ground that effects the pickups in an undesirable way. My JC-120 amp has a dual throw power switch. If I select power one way, I get lots of floor noise on the amp. When I flip the power switch the other way, almost no floor noise at all.

Musicians who use a lot of effects pedals can sometimes create a ground loop that causes similar issues. I prefer to use the one box, one amp system. I use the Helix Floor on my Railboard and either the Tonex pedal or Kemper Stage on my PRS Custom 24.
waltschwarzkopf wrote:
waltschwarzkopf wrote:
took standard EMG "strat" single coils

Keep in mind that the original TheBlock pickup has front "tele" pickups, not "strat". I just used what I could find on the 3D for this version to show what could be done. In the end we can try to fit any pickup and electronics we want :)

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:33 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

WerkSpace wrote:
I read somewhere that the Stick pickup housings had some special material added to their injection moldings to block outside interference from reaching the pickup modules. (Like a Faraday cage) Some guitar manufacturers use pickup modules with a metal cover that essentially does the same thing.

True! You can cover inside of the housing with aluminum tape, I do this with the cavities pf my guitars/basses and works like a charm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:52 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

https://www.stick.com/instruments/pickups/stickup/

waltschwarzkopf wrote:
WerkSpace wrote:

True! You can cover inside of the housing with aluminum tape, I do this with the cavities pf my guitars/basses and works like a charm.

Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:08 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

ReyStick wrote:

Maybe there is a way to get 5 pole emg's and use them in a block for 10 string sticks.

I think EMG is the way to go here…

I just spend some time in their website. All dimensions for pickups is available (easy to make a housing), they have active and passive pickups, all electronics are included, and they have pickups with and without poles. They also have a variety of pickups/sizes, single coils, humbuckers, soapbars, jazz, precision. So you can gos small pickups for split tunings, or long pickups for straight tunings.

I’ll try to make a dummy just to see how it works and if things fit.

Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:30 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I just ordered a set of Gibson Burstbuckers out of Australia from eBay, for a Les Paul project that I'm working on. I wonder how different guitar pickups would work on a Chapman Stick. The real problem would be to get the string spacing right.

waltschwarzkopf wrote:
ReyStick wrote:

I just spend some time in their website. All dimensions for pickups is available (easy to make a housing), they have active and passive pickups, all electronics are included, and they have pickups with and without poles. They also have a variety of pickups/sizes, single coils, humbuckers, soapbars, jazz, precision. So you can gos small pickups for split tunings, or long pickups for straight tunings.

Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:05 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

waltschwarzkopf wrote:
ReyStick wrote:

As mentioned before stick ent. Uses EMG active front tele’s for the actv 2 module they offer. They sound great

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:29 am