It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:58 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Removable belt hook? 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Removable belt hook?
DavidWS wrote:
Yannick wrote:
I think the Stick should have an insert on the back like NS-Design instrument!

What is the depth (thickness) of wood available at the location of the insert in an NS-Design instrument?

I've got two of the NS bowed instruments - a CR4 bass (not the 34" Omni but the real upright scale bass) and also a CR5 cello.

Both of them look like this:
Attachment:
NS_Rear.png

The depth from the surface until the nut begins is about 8-9 mm; then another 20 mm to the bottom of the hole. The bass is pretty heavy at 4.8 kg (according to specs, haven't weighed mine) so it probably needs a socket this deep, but the cello being much lighter, it probably is well on the safe side. (But of course, they're identical in order to allow the same stand/strap thing being used for all models).

The very center of the hole is even a couple of mm's more, because it's probably drilled with one of those wood drills that have a central tap/spike/whatever it's called to guide it.

How thick is a Stick (ha! :lol:)?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:19 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

AndersGoran wrote:
How thick is a Stick (ha! :lol:)?

Taking the question serioulsy,...

...my Bamboo & Graphite are both just over 40mm where the belt mount screws are.

I know that the screw holes on the Graphite are about 38mm deep. I'm not sure how deep the holes are on the bamboo.

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic

Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:48 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

DavidWS wrote:
ReyStick wrote:
I'm just hesitant to modify my Stick to a degree, that I would not be able to return it to normal.

Me too. My arrangement is attached to the Stick using standard fixings in the standard holes. Give me 5 minutes & I could have the belt hook back to factory standard & you'd not know it had ever been any different.

Exactly! We are thinking in the same way. That was also my idea.

DavidWS wrote:
ReyStick wrote:
I'm sorry if I came across in a bad way.
Please don't take my comments in a bad way, it's just a conversation.

That how I've seen it. A Stickist is almost by definition an individual who thinks outside the box, so they're bound to be different views. Your contributions are appreciated. :D

Yes! sometimes a "bad" comment (does it even exist?) brings you to new ideas!

Wenge #6716 ACTV-2
Rosewood ALTO #5686 Stickup

Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:15 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Yannick wrote:
I think the Stick should have an insert on the back like NS-Design instrument! Thus we could use their accessories like https://thinkns.com/accessory/the-frame-strap-system/ , https://thinkns.com/accessory/the-boome ... ap-system/ or even https://thinkns.com/accessory/the-tripod-stand/

Thanks Yannick!
One of my first ideas. For some of us the NS accessories may work well, for others not. But the NS connection system could also be used for other accessories, p.e. a simple belt hook ;)

Wenge #6716 ACTV-2

Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:24 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

AndersGoran wrote:
Attachment:
NS_Rear.png

How is the accessory attached to the instrument so that it does not turn or twist? You only have one nut? No other fixation points?

Wenge #6716 ACTV-2

Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:32 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

meugel wrote:
AndersGoran wrote:
Attachment:
NS_Rear.png

How is the accessory attached to the instrument so that it does not turn or twist? You only have one nut? No other fixation points?

Friction. All the various support systems have rubber against the wood of the instrument body.

Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:05 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

WerkSpace wrote:
I ordered keyhole hangers instead of the plastic ones, because they are thinner and made of metal. When I countersink the keyhole hangers, the spacing profile is narrower. A screw is the mating component and the friction is set by turning the screw head in or out.

Have you tried these yet?

I got some as an experiment. I'm sure they will come in for other things but my initial impression is that I don't wish to use them with my Stick.

Yes, it they give a much slimmer connection, and sat on the stand that connection is nice & steady with no lateral or twist movement (I used 4 connectors in a square arrangement). What put's me off is that even with the mating screws tight there is still no 'lock' as such and it only requires less than a cm of vertical movement for the join to disconnect completely. It's all to easy for me to imagine an accidental knock or brush with a knee or some such as I'm standing up providing sufficient movement. If I were to use them I'd wish to add some sort of locking mechanism to the connection, maybe a small thumb screw or hook?

The 'button-fix' connectors give me confidence without any additional mechanism.

YMMV...

Mon May 01, 2023 8:00 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I haven't tried them yet.

I've been in and out of many hospitals in the past few weeks.
The neurologists think that I have Myasthenia Gravis.
https://www.ninds.nih.gov/health-inform ... nia-gravis

DavidWS wrote:
WerkSpace wrote:
I ordered keyhole hangers instead of the plastic ones, because they are thinner and made of metal. When I countersink the keyhole hangers, the spacing profile is narrower. A screw is the mating component and the friction is set by turning the screw head in or out.

Have you tried these yet?

I got some as an experiment. I'm sure they will come in for other things but my initial impression is that I don't wish to use them with my Stick.

Yes, it they give a much slimmer connection, and sat on the stand that connection is nice & steady with no lateral or twist movement (I used 4 connectors in a square arrangement). What put's me off is that even with the mating screws tight there is still no 'lock' as such and it only requires less than a cm of vertical movement for the join to disconnect completely. It's all to easy for me to imagine an accidental knock or brush with a knee or some such as I'm standing up providing sufficient movement. If I were to use them I'd wish to add some sort of locking mechanism to the connection, maybe a small thumb screw or hook?

The 'button-fix' connectors give me confidence without any additional mechanism.

YMMV...

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Mon May 01, 2023 10:15 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

WerkSpace wrote:

Sorry to hear that. I hope it's at least controlable (i.e. responds to treatment).

Mon May 01, 2023 10:22 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Only time will tell, but it doesn't look good so far.

DavidWS wrote:
WerkSpace wrote:

Sorry to hear that. I hope it's at least controllable (i.e. responds to treatment).

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Mon May 01, 2023 10:34 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next