It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:10 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Removable belt hook? 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Removable belt hook?
I feel like I have a pretty good balance. By no means do I discount your ideas.

I mean no ill will to your comments.

I can stand up and let go of the stick with both of my hands, it doesn't move. I can sit down and let go of the stick with both of my hands, it doesn't move.

When playing the strings I feel I need three points of contact which is the most stable thing, a tripod , thumb on the back side or not, sometimes my stomach pushing out on the neck strap and using all 10 fingers.

I think whatever works for you is great you know, to each his own.

I don't think the guy who invented the piano thought about, well this is going to be hard to play.
Someone else came along and said hey I can make an organ.

StIcKsTiCkStUckStickinG

Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:50 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

ReyStick wrote:
I don't think the guy who invented the piano thought about, well this is going to be hard to play.
Someone else came along and said hey I can make an organ.

A small technocal point ReyStick, & of no relevance to this discussion, but for future reference it was the other way round, i.e. the organ (harpsichord, clavichord,...) were around long before the piano.

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic

Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:54 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

ReyStick wrote:
I also think you're wrong about the ergonomics, I think it's very ergonomic.

I agree that the playing position (the approach of the hands to the Stick) is highly ergonomic

The issue @meugel (and other of us) are addressing is how to hold the Stick in the approriate position to make that approach with the hands.

There are lots of different body shapes out there...

Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:58 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

DavidWS wrote:
ReyStick wrote:
I also think you're wrong about the ergonomics, I think it's very ergonomic.

I agree that the playing position (the approach of the hands to the Stick) is highly ergonomic

The issue @meugel (and other of us) are addressing is how to hold the Stick in the approriate position to make that approach with the hands.

There are lots of different body shapes out there...

Thank you David! That was exactly the point I was thinking about. I have never criticized the ergonomics of the playing position of the hands on the fretboard.

I'm not happy with the 30 degree angle of the belt hook (only a few players like Steve Adelson hold the stick in this angle, most play it more vertically). A rotating belt hook would be a solution.

But not to leave the original topic completely:
My 10-string (2015) arrived with a broken belt hook. SE immediately sent me a new one. If the belt hook could be removed for transport, the gig bag would be smaller and there would be less risk of damaging the belt hook or the Stick.
And if you are already making a detachable system, there is the possibility of adding other parts, e.g. to mount a lap bar or "monopad".
And so you can develop an interchangeable system that e.g. allows to use the belt hook in an angle different from the 30 degrees.

Wenge #6716 ACTV-2
Rosewood ALTO #5686 Stickup

Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:21 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I found a bit more time...

...and now have a belt hook option too.

Attachment:
2023-04-07_16-01_DSCF8901_resize.jpg

The hook is a little further from the Stick body, but that didn't seem to make any significant difference in a quick test with my DBro style lapbar.

I also swapped the 'third' button fixing from 'type 1 flush' to the original 'type 1'.

I did that because I'd ordered 4 each of those two types and the 'type 1 bonded' (that's how I came to have 3 button markers, which proved to be very handy). Swapping a flush for an original now means I have scope for making a second 'two plus one' triangle mount without re-ordering.

While aligning the changed fixing I also observed that the wide part of the opening on the 'original' is slightly bigger than on the 'flush'. That has proved to give the advantage of a little more wriggle room with the buttons in the loose position & in that situation a bit of wriggle seems to be handy (fitting & removal was okay before, but is easier now).

All still done as 'prototype' with various softwood offcuts. I've identified a nicer bit of hardwood for when I feel the need to imporve the appearance. :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:03 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I'm sorry if I came across in a bad way.

I love the idea of reengineering and modifying.

Good stuff David.

There was a thread in the past where a guy made a shoulder strap for the stick. I think it pivoted on one point. I don't think he used the neck strap at all.

Great ideas.

I'm just hesitant to modify my Stick to a degree, that I would not be able to return it to normal.

I wish everyone well. Please don't take my comments in a bad way, it's just a conversation.

StIcKsTiCkStUckStickinG

Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:59 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

https://youtu.be/9hkbKVkOVLQ

I don't think this is the guy I was thinking of. But it just shows the ideas that Stick players have.

I would be afraid to rely on the neck strap button to hold up my Stick.

I would want like a guitar strap button screwed to the back of it. A locking strap button. I don't want to drill things into my Stick, so if I think of a modification I will try to use the existing tapped holes. Unless I have a stick that's beat up and I want to use it as a prototype.

Love everyone.
Touch tap play, StiCk.

StIcKsTiCkStUckStickinG

Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:16 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

ReyStick wrote:
I'm just hesitant to modify my Stick to a degree, that I would not be able to return it to normal.

Me too. My arrangement is attached to the Stick using standard fixings in the standard holes. Give me 5 minutes & I could have the belt hook back to factory standard & you'd not know it had ever been any different.

ReyStick wrote:
I'm sorry if I came across in a bad way.
Please don't take my comments in a bad way, it's just a conversation.

That how I've seen it. A Stickist is almost by definition an individual who thinks outside the box, so there bound to be different views. Your contributions are appreciated. :D

Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:57 am
Contributor
Contributor

I think the Stick should have an insert on the back like NS-Design instrument! Thus we could use their accessories like https://thinkns.com/accessory/the-frame-strap-system/ , https://thinkns.com/accessory/the-boome ... ap-system/ or even https://thinkns.com/accessory/the-tripod-stand/

#5162 10-string Maple Stick
#5743 Tinted Salmon Light Bamboo Grand Stick

AFSTG (Association Française du Stick et de la Tape Guitare)

Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:15 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Yannick wrote:
I think the Stick should have an insert on the back like NS-Design instrument!

What is the depth (thickness) of wood available at the location of the insert in an NS-Design instrument?

That may be a relavant factor?

Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:25 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next