It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:00 am

Advice for first Stick? 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Advice for first Stick?
Maybe you've already listened to them, but perhaps you'd find these episodes of the Tap In Time Podcast to be of interest. It's nigh impossible to answer every conceivable question posed by a prospective Stick owner, but we take a stab at providing some helpful insights and information, both technical and philosophical. If you don't like listening to a direct feed such as links, they're also on various podcast platforms (Apple, Spotify, etc.).

https://tapintime.podbean.com/e/so-you- ... ck-part-1/
https://tapintime.podbean.com/e/so-you- ... ck-part-2/

Good luck on your Stick journey!

Bamboo Grand #7363 MR ACTV2, Tarara Grand #5677 MR PASV4
Tap In Time Podcast: tapintime.podbean.com/

Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:32 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: Advice for first Stick?
When I was seriously thinking about getting a Chapman Stick, what I did for a while was I converted my 6 string bass to 3 strings 5ths bass side, 3 strings 4ths melody side, sort of simulating a 6 string version of The Stick in classic tuning.

*That 5 string Schecter also received the same treatment for a brief period of time, although it is in standard tuning in the picture.

My logic was to see if I could be comfortable with the idea of playing an instrument with the strings set up in such a manner, and if the answer was no, then I certainly would not be comfortable with the idea of going The Stick route.

But, I loved it and played that instrument that way, for at least a few years before I finally got the real deal, an Ironwood made in 85, then an even older one from the 70s, both in that 10 string classic tuning.

Of course this lead to something Grace turned me on to, the idea of The Stickbass [8 stings] being set up like 2 bass guitars, one 5ths one 4ths, and once S.E. had a used one for sale, I contacted Grace immediately and never looked back !!

By the way, that Tune 6 string bass is back to normal configuration.

The trick to doing mods like that is doing it in a way where you can always go back to the original configuration.

Incidently, tuning is C G D A C G low to high.

The Schecter is I believe tuned at a slight variation, C G D A E low to high.

Good Luck, and take your time... really thing about it.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:20 am