It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:12 pm

What are these strings? Light? Medium? 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post What are these strings? Light? Medium?
I ordered my Railboard w/Medium Gauge strings, having no idea what I might prefer. I also ordered a set of strings for Baritone Melody tuning. I can't remember whether this was to re-string the Railboard in BM or as eventual replacements for my rosewood stick that is in BM (I suffer from CRS) but this string set is light gauge, not medium.

My invoice doesn't state what gauge strings the Railboard was shipped with, but I've mic'd the two instruments and the melody strings appear to be almost identical, so it would seem that I can replace the strings on either instrument with this set - provided the gauge is correct.

The strings measure as follows. If two are shown, the first is on the rosewood, the second on the Railboard:

1 - 9
2 - 11
3 - 14/13
4 - 22
5 - 33/30

I prefer to leave the package of new strings unopened, as if these are not suitable for either instrument, then I'd like to sell them to someone that can use them.

Seems odd that SE doesn't have a chart showing string gauges for the various sets available.

Thanks!

Rosewood #1027 Baritone Melody, StickUps
Blue Railboard #7228 Matched Reciprocal, EMG block

Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:44 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: What are these strings? Light? Medium?
SteveS wrote:
I ordered my Railboard w/Medium Gauge strings, having no idea what I might prefer. I also ordered a set of strings for Baritone Melody tuning. I can't remember whether this was to re-string the Railboard in BM or as eventual replacements for my rosewood stick that is in BM (I suffer from CRS) but this string set is light gauge, not medium.

My invoice doesn't state what gauge strings the Railboard was shipped with, but I've mic'd the two instruments and the melody strings appear to be almost identical, so it would seem that I can replace the strings on either instrument with this set - provided the gauge is correct.

The strings measure as follows. If two are shown, the first is on the rosewood, the second on the Railboard:

1 - 9
2 - 11
3 - 14/13
4 - 22
5 - 33/30

I prefer to leave the package of new strings unopened, as if these are not suitable for either instrument, then I'd like to sell them to someone that can use them.

Seems odd that SE doesn't have a chart showing string gauges for the various sets available.

Thanks!

These are the gauges for light gauge Baritone Melody.

1 - 9
2 - 11
3 - 14
4 - 22
5 - 32

Medium are:

1 - 10
2 - 13
3 - 20
4 - 28
5 - 38

Hope that helps

Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:43 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: What are these strings? Light? Medium?
Hah! Thanks, Greg. Looks like SE sent me a RB with light gauge. Obviously I have no idea what I'm doing so they seemed "right" to me... :lol:

But that turns out to be cool, because the rosewood I bought from Glenn also appears to be light gauge, so that spare set I have can be used on either.

Rosewood #1027 Baritone Melody, StickUps
Blue Railboard #7228 Matched Reciprocal, EMG block

Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:26 am