It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:01 am

Getting situated with a used Railboard 10-string 

Post Re: Getting situated with a used Railboard 10-string
Big George Waters wrote:
ok here's the thing about Railboards: when an instrument is ordered, and please someone correct me if I am wrong here - I'm just going by my experience with my RB-8.... when a Railboard is ordered, the tuning is selected, and the CNC machining process includes a fret job [for lack of a better term] which machines the frets for that particular tuning.

Since you have a 10 string, I'm going to assume it is set up in the divided 5 + 5 fashion, so hopefully the way the frets were initially machined should work, actually will work for whatever the original tuning is/was...

If you look closely at your fingerboard, you should see some frets especially where the heaviest strings are that are really machined down, in some cases quite severely.

I was hoping I had some better pictures, but if you look closely at the picture I have provided here, by the heaviest gauge string, you can see that the fret has been machined down.

So, because I opted for a undivided fingerboard, in my case what is referred to Crafty tuning, there is no possible way I could go with a 4 + 4 divided fingerboard like a traditional Stick so to speak, where the heaviest strings run down the center.

I am assuming - hoping - that all your problems can be solved at the bridge end regarding any set up issues.

Good Luck !!

Does your instrument have just 9 strings?

Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:31 am