It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:50 pm

Roland GK2A + Axon AX-50 

Post Roland GK2A + Axon AX-50
Hi y'all (it's just how we speak in Scotland*,)

Anyone with experience of the Axon AX-50 out there? I've just bought a 2nd hand one which works ok but there's a couple of things right off the bat (cricket bat?) that I'd like to figure out.

Firstly, it appears to have firmware version 6.06 and I've got the 7.28 version from the old Terratec site - http://terratec.ultron.info/ - but, when I boot the device into update mode (hold the Tune button whilst powering on,) Windows 10 can't find a proper driver for it - just comes up as a "USB Composite Device" with a yellow exclamation mark beside it. Do I need to do this on an older PC, possibly Win7 or before, or possibly with a 32bit OS?

Secondly, I have to tap ye olde Sticke (graphite Grand s/n 4997) harder than I'd like to get some notes to trigger. Am I missing a boost setting or the like? Or will the promised land of firmware v. 7.28 make all my dreams come true?

Toodles!
Nick

*We actually don't

Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:35 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Roland GK2A + Axon AX-50
I've been using the AX50 for a long time, but it's a long time ago and memory is unreliable. For sure I had the editor installed under WIN7. Rather then it was still in version 32. However, I did the Axon system update under XP.
I would suggest you to find some old computer and try with them. I think the problem is 64 bit.
Try possibly with some emulator 32. They are probably such.

As for the second point, I think it's a setup issue. In the Axon editor it was possible to fine tune to Stick very precisely. In my opinion, Axon was the most capable in this regard, although it required some practice.

Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:11 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

http://terratec.ultron.info/AXON/AXON_A ... EN_2.0.pdf

https://www.polynominal.com/Roland-GK2A ... manual.pdf

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:35 pm

Thanks guys. I've managed to find an old XP Pro SP2 (32bit) laptop this morning and successfully update the AX50s firmware from 6.06 to 7.28.

I'm leaving the following here just in case it helps anyone else.

Under XP, booting the AX normally and connecting it via USB causes it to show up in the Device Manager under "Sound, Video and Game Controllers" as "USB Audio Device". Booting into Update mode (switch off, hold the Tuner button in, switch on and release Tuner button after a couple of seconds - "UPD." will show on the display) does the same.

Under Windows 10, when booting into update mode, the device shows up under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" as "USB Composite Device" with a warning triangle. When booting up normally, it shows up under "Sound, video and game controllers" as "AXON AX 50 USB" and seems to work happily with the AXON AX 50 USB Editor.

Long story short, I updated the firmware using an XP machine and am now able to manage the device from Win 10.

Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:25 am