It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:16 pm

New Strings New Gauges 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post New Strings New Gauges
So after having DBR for most of it's life, we have a new set with tweaking of gauges courtesy of Victor Bruhn (Gusset).
DBR medium...(on 12-string) string 7 (lowest) is light (.106) and 9 is heavy (.056).
So the bass side, the lowest string always seemed undefined - compared to the rest of the set. And the 9th, well, it makes sense since I bassically have a VERY extended bass and like to do the two-hand shuffle.
I like it. The lowest string is a LITTLE lower in tension - actually the bass side is de-tuned a half-step (the fret markers line up) but it's much more defined and sounds right with the rest of the set.
It's a personal thing-I never screwed w/ gauges, just bought mediums for bass and guitar (D'Addario) all my life. So bought mediums for my Sticks.
But that low string always bugged me.
THANKS VICTOR!

Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:09 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: New Strings New Gauges
Could you show us a picture or two? I started on lights, moved to mediums and have not experimented with much else.

Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:00 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: New Strings New Gauges
Once I take a photo on my Motorla smart phone, what do I do next?
I don't think a photo is going to show much. The 7th in med. was a .128? I believe, and the 9th, mebe .050, .049? Anyway, it's more of a feel and tone that anything. And I gotta adjust the brakes. (joke. Intonation. The height seems fine. God love those v-groove screws)

Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:19 am
Profile My Photo Gallery