It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:52 am

Adjusing a Stickup pickup? 

Post Adjusing a Stickup pickup?
FYI: I have been playing the stick for less then a year but very comfortable with setting up guitars and basses. This is my first attempt in setting up a stick.

I just aquired a 1994 rosewood grand stick and put a brand new stickup pickup on it.

I went to SE website and read about adjusting the pickup housing and pole pieces etc.

After gettting the pickup as close to the strings without any interference with the strings I adjusted the pole pieces .

Coming from SE all of the poles were in a uniform spot. I noticed that on both sides of the stick the inner 3 strings were about 3-4db louder then the outer 3 especially the outermost strings.

I played with the poles and more or less got the signal strength to be with in a db or so. I had to raise the outer strings a couple of turns and lower the innermost ones a half of a turn.

I was wondering what you more experienced players/owners have experienced when seting up you stickup pickups.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by KenCardita on Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:29 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Adjusing a Stickup pickup?
KenCardita wrote:
FYI: I have been playing the stick for less then a year but very comfortable with setting up guitars and basses. This is my first attemp in setting up a stick.

I just aquired a 1994 rosewood grand stick and put a brand new stickup pickup on it.

I went to SE website and read about adjusting the pickup housing and pole pieces etc.

After gettting the pickup as close to the strings without any interference with the strings I adjusted the pole pieces .

Coming from SE all of the poles were in a uniform spot. I noticed that on both sides of the stick the inner 3 strings were about 3-4db louder then the outer 3 especially the outermost strings.

I played with the poles and more or less got the signal strength to be with in a db or so. I had to raise the outer strings a couple of turns and lower the innermost ones a half of a turn.

I was wondering what you more experienced players/owners have experienced when seting up you stickup pickups.

Thanks in advance
Step 1: Make sure your truss is sdjusted so that the plane of the board is flat.

Step 2: Make sure you're "loading" the pickup properly. In other words, don't plug it into a line level input and expect a good representation of the tone.

Step 3: Line up the top of the module with the fret surface, and make all adjustments by lowering pole pieces not raising them. Adjust both pole pieces for each string together. The humbucking function of the pickup works best when they are the same height under a string.

That's pretty much it.

Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:57 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Thanks Greg - I did Steps 1 and 2 as you suggested .

RE: Step 3: Line up the top of the module with the fret surface,

What do you mean by the "fret surface" ?
Top of the closet fret ? or
Top of the fretboard ? or
????

Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:27 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

KenCardita wrote:
RE: Step 3: Line up the top of the module with the fret surface,

What do you mean by the "fret surface" ?

FWIW Ken, when I adjusted mine I took it to mean level with the top of the closest fret. I took the idea to be to have the surface of the block as close as possible to the strings without physically interfering with vibrating strings.

I could be wrong?

I took a picture. See 3rd image on this post https://www.stickist.com/viewtopic.php?p=135109#p135109

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic

Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:43 am

David,

Thanks for chiming in. the photo you referenced was helpful.

Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:18 am