It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:38 pm

Another R-block question. 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Another R-block question.
I have a couple of Railboards. The sound output on the one I picked up second hand is substantially less than the other. In fact, I have to turn the amp fully up to hear it at a reasonable level. I have adjusted the screw that balances the sides, but this does not affect the output. Nor does using phantom power.

Any ideas short of a long wait on the overworked bench at SE?

Thanks,

Harry

Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:42 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Re: Another R-block question.
How does the coil impedance compare across all the pickups? I'd start there and then check solder connections, check for schmutz in the pots, rotary switches and output jack. Also is the mono/stereo switch set right?

Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:45 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

popstuart wrote:
I have a couple of Railboards. The sound output on the one I picked up second hand is substantially less than the other. In fact, I have to turn the amp fully up to hear it at a reasonable level. I have adjusted the screw that balances the sides, but this does not affect the output. Nor does using phantom power.

Any ideas short of a long wait on the overworked bench at SE?

Thanks,

Harry
Harry, you might consider getting one of the new EMG R-Blocks, and sending the quiet one back to SE for service. They are really easy to swap out, and the EMG sounds fantastic.

Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:18 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

My understanding is that the EMG blocks are held up waiting for some parts from EMG at the moment, so might be a bit of delay on that route. Might be worth just waiting for it though. I have a 12 string railboard on order that's waiting for those pickups. I loved the sound of my old 10 string railboard back in the day, can't wait to hear it with the new pickups.

Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:35 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

snoitan wrote:
My understanding is that the EMG blocks are held up waiting for some parts from EMG at the moment, so might be a bit of delay on that route. Might be worth just waiting for it though. I have a 12 string railboard on order that's waiting for those pickups. I loved the sound of my old 10 string railboard back in the day, can't wait to hear it with the new pickups.

That may be true of the 12-strings, but there are plenty for the 10-string. I believe they are waiting on the pickup housings for the 12-string, not the pickups themselves.

Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:37 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Thanks Greg. Yeah, Jeff said they received some of the parts but not all needed to assemble it. I didn't realize it was 12-string specific.

He did note that they'd be sending emails to all of 12-string Railboard waitlisters once they have all the parts.

Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:06 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

That’s a great idea, Greg. I’ll contact them.

Best,

Harry

Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:48 pm