It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:37 am

Alto and SG12 Classic 1st string question 

Post Alto and SG12 Classic 1st string question
Hey Stickists,

I'm having trouble getting the 1st string to pitch without breaking.

On the Alto I'm using the 1st string in either Greg or Bob's Extended tuning. When approaching the High A, a fourth above "guitar high E", the string pops.

This is first time I'm having issues changing strings.

Any suggested "secrets"?

Thanking everyone in advance for assistance.

- RAH3

Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:39 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Alto and SG12 Classic 1st string question
Try with 0.08. It should work fine. From what I remember in the SE string set, it is even thinner. Rather, however, it will be hard for you to buy one single.

10-String 5↓4↑ Internally C Matched Padouk Stick #351 with XXL GK & Stickup
12-String 5↓4↑ Internally C Matched XG Grand Stick #5428 with dual GK & Custom Pickups
10-String 5↓4↑ Internally A Matched Tarara Alto Stick #5689 with GK & Stickup

Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:47 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

mahabresq,
Thanks for quick reply.
- RAH3

Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:41 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

For both the "Greg's" and "Bob's" tuning, the highest string is a .007. I've used the "Greg's" tuning for many many years and it's extremely rare that I break a string. If you use a .008, you'll likely break tuning up to that high A.

For the rare occasion that something happens, I keep extras that are not from SE. D'Addario makes a high carbon steel .007 in their NYXL set. If you search for D'Addario NYS007 (that's the singleton) you should find it. I know Strings By Mail has the singletons (http://www.stringsbymail.com). I'm kind of partial to them as they're local and their owner is a really good guy.

I nabbed about a half dozen around 10 years ago but have only used one.

Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:22 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

gpoorman,
Thanks for the reply.
- RAH3

Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:01 am

gpoorman,

Thanks again for the referral to Strings by Mail. Great company. Excellent customer service and communication. Your suggestion of the NYS007 singles really did the trick.

- RAH3

Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:25 am
Contributor
Contributor

Interesting fact about plain steel strings ...

For a particular pitch and vibrating length (in this case, A4 and 25"): As you alter gauge, tension and 'yield force' (the maximum tension the string can withstand) both vary in exactly the same way, both are proportional to the cross-sectional area of the string.
This suggests that for a particular pitch and vibrating length, all gauges are equally breakable.
(Although, there might be some real-world factors that slightly alter this behaviour.)
This would mean that the choice of gauge is only determined by tension preference.

So it seems a .008 is not necessarily more breakable than a .007, it will have more tension, but also more ability to withstand tension, it will have a different tone, and perhaps more volume.
I suspect the choice of .007 in the official Alto string sets is more due to a preference for low tension than reliability (i might be wrong).
It might be worth trying a .008 to see how it behaves, and to discover your preferred tension.

A4 over 25" is very close to the practical limit for steel, so needs careful setup, and a high strength steel (such as D'Addario NYXL) is helpful.

Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:32 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I reliably broke the 0.008s with the tuning I use until Emmett started sending me 0.007s. That was before I started buying the NYXL strings as spares. I have broken 0.007s but ... maybe ... twice in ten years.

Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:12 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery