It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 10:36 pm

Chapman Stick for rent? 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Chapman Stick for rent?
Hello, World!

The topic of the title came to me as someone is interested in renting mine. I am well aware that several stores offer the possibility to rent a guitar or a violin, among many other instruments, but I have never seen this with a Stick. Moreover, since (to my knowledge) there are no Stick stores, many people do not have the possibility to "try before you buy".

Of course, this (the stick) is a rare instrument, custom-made to each buyer, which involves waiting times and does not allow SE to have a (large) stock on site. Not to even mention in other cities or countries. And given the price of a brand new Stick, some people may not be ready to order one without having played or even seen one.

As you may be aware, I am selling a Graphite Stick (this is not an ad!), and a potential buyer asked me if he could rent my stick for a couple of weeks without any obligation to buy it. I am still considering it, as I don't know what the right price would be, and also how to protect myself in case the stick is damaged or stolen.

There is a platform in Switzerland where you can rent stuff (cameras, tools, instruments, etc) and their suggested price is 3-5% of the NEW price. Meaning that the daily price of a Stick would be 100-200 bucks, which is not too crazy as you see guitars going from 10-100 bucks per day. They also offer insurance (up to a certain amount) in case something happens to the item.

Now here are two questions for you:
    How much would you pay (per day) to rent a stick?
    Would you even consider renting yours?

Thanks a lot for your help and fruitful discussion!

Cheers,
Walt

P.S. I had the idea once to become a Stick distributor in Switzerland (or central Europe) and order about 10 Sticks of different kinds. This would have allowed me to have a stock in-house and given people the chance to try them before buying. I proposed this idea to Cambria a while ago and she said that this would need to be discussed with Emmett (may he rest in peace). So, if either Grace or Greg (or anyone else from SE) are reading this, feel free to contact me if this is a possibility.

Support: bitcoin:bc1qedfg9z55ux3tlnf7qnnu3vggv8vant604dasye?message=Donate

http://www.instagram.com/waltschwarzkopf

Mon May 16, 2022 3:33 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Chapman Stick for rent?
IMO renting my stick would be a dicey option. Unless you want to be a Stick Renter. Sooner or later the dings and damages surely await. If someone purchases ten sticks it’s nobody’s business what they do with them. SE is a custom family boutique business ,partners and business associates would open up unneeded complications (I would think).many of us blindly went out and gambled on a purchase and many sold them when they didn’t like them. I tell people buy a stick you might like it. I did.

Mon May 16, 2022 5:44 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

stickyfingers wrote:
Sooner or later the dings and damages surely await.

I see what you mean, but its a similar risk when you run a music store, eventually someone is going to ding or break a guitar...

stickyfingers wrote:
Many of us blindly went out and gambled on a purchase and many sold them when they didn’t like them. I tell people buy a stick you might like it. I did.

I agree with this, in my case I was not "brave" enough to make the jump, so I managed to find a few used that I could play before buying. Although my mind was already made up that I would buy it.

Tue May 17, 2022 2:04 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

waltschwarzkopf wrote:
see what you mean, but its a similar risk when you run a music store, eventually someone is going to ding or break a guitar...

How many are renting out guitars that cost over $3000?

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup G1 C2 F2 A#2 D#1..desc 4ths..D4
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 G1 C2 F2 A#1 D#1..4ths..D4
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic (For Sale)

Tue May 17, 2022 1:12 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

DavidWS wrote:
waltschwarzkopf wrote:
see what you mean, but its a similar risk when you run a music store, eventually someone is going to ding or break a guitar...

That is a point well made!

Wed May 18, 2022 2:11 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

The cost of the Stick is only part of the overall cost of creating outstanding tones with reverbs, delays, amp modeling, etc. I paid almost as much for my amplifier and Helix floor. When I learned how to use Impulse Responses, my whole world changed. IRs are a game changer, when it comes to music.
waltschwarzkopf wrote:
DavidWS wrote:
waltschwarzkopf wrote:

That is a point well made!

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Wed May 18, 2022 2:23 am