It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 2:00 pm

rehersal room-with a band-which amp? 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: rehersal room-with a band-which amp?
In my experience a room built for sound is obviously a plus especially if your guys are playing loud which I don’t like things tend to get boomy. I found my stick sounding better DI out with a good guy on the board.I link 2bass amps .or 1 bass and a nice guitar amp on the other side.and there are plenty of nice effects units out there. Playing with a band takes some getting use to for me and much patience and practice will most likely get you where you want.

Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:32 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I’ll be following this link….enjoying all the different perspectives. Thanks to all.
I’m new to Stick, and I originally used a guitar amp for the Stick treble side, and a bass amp for bass side.

But …when I acquired a Boss SY-1000 synth pedal, which has such a broad frequency range capability, I’ve switched to using two full-range keyboard amps. The many sonic textures of the Boss SY-1000 (on Stick treble side) benefit greatly from a full-range amplification system. I am presently using two Peavey KB-60’s….light and portable, but very flexible, and easily fit in the back seat of the car. And since a KB-60 has two separate input channels, I could use a single amp for both the bass and the treble sides, for a rehearsal. (I do utilize a Behringer bass preamp on the bass side of the Stick…the keyboard amp sounds flat and sterile without some kind of a bass preamp to add punch).

Once I started using a full range keyboard amp, the Boss SY-1000 simply opened up with beautiful sounds, sounds that otherwise become lost and buried in a guitar amp.

The use of a keyboard amp is just an experiment along my personal evolutionary path…so I’ll be following this thread and everyone’s insights.

Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:30 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

For years, I tried several options, but mainly a SR tech JAM 400 for approx. 10 years.

While it sounds incredibly natural and powerful, especially on low frequencies, I tried once to play in stereo, each group of strings going to dedicated effects and amps. I found a new sonic world, so I can't imagine playing mono now : my band mates and I found that we had less ear fatigue after a long rehearsal/show and as a player, I found it's easier to spot my own defaults on my playing (it's definitely easier to spot when your bass part is sloppy when you are soloing for example).

That said, I've played for years a Roland JC-40 on melody strings and a Trace Elliot Elf paired with an 2*10 Hartke bass speaker. While it fills all my needs (I never lacked of power, but I only play on small venues), I may change my mind for two reasons :
- I want a lighter solution (but without sacrificing the stereo image)
- I want the amp to be quite similar sonically speaking : when, for some reason, I send the bass signal to the guitar amp with a routing matrix a la StepABout, it often sounds strange to say the least (it can be an interesting sound though, for some lo-fi texture). In the same way, playing the melody strings though the bass amp sounds very neutral and tasteless.

So my idea is to look for a pair of FRFR devices, easily carriageable, affordable, that can hold both low and high frequencies without distorting.
I already ruled out from my list Bose L1 and such for personal taste, and may narrow my research down to FRFR speakers, small and lightweight, such as HeadRush Electronics (FRFR-108 or FRFR-112), Alto TS 310 or Mackie Thump 12A.

Who are playing this kind of devices? Any tips to know before purchasing? Opinions welcome!

Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:59 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

grozoeil wrote:
s HeadRush Electronics (FRFR-108 or FRFR-112)

No experience, but out of interest I just looked up the spec & noticed:

FRFR-108: Frequency Range: 52 Hz – 22 kHz (-10dB)
FRFR-112: Frequency Range: 46 Hz – 22 kHz (-10 dB)

Based on A4 = 440 Hz,
G1 => 49 Hz
C1 => 32.7 Hz

Make of that what you will.

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup G1 C2 F2 A#2 D#1..desc 4ths..D4
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 G1 C2 F2 A#1 D#1..4ths..D4
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic (For Sale)

Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:18 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thanks for that info. Which C is the lowest C on the bass strings of the Stick? C0?

Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:19 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

grozoeil wrote:
Thanks for that info. Which C is the lowest C on the bass strings of the Stick? C0?

I believe that the low C string (on most tunings) is C1

PS. in a post on the first page of this topic MichNS wrote
Quote:
For more power and bass I have an Electrovoice Evolve 50, 1000Watts, wooden sub that goes down to 35Hz, my NS Stick's low B sounds incredible, which lead me to purchase it. So far this is the best "FRFR" PA I've tried

I'm not sure about NS Stick tunings, so I can't say for sure with B that is?

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup G1 C2 F2 A#2 D#1..desc 4ths..D4
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 G1 C2 F2 A#1 D#1..4ths..D4
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic (For Sale)

Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:40 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

I have had good luck with QSC K12s. The newer k12.2's have specific voicings for specific purposes (bass, DJ, etc.). I like being able to run a pair in stereo too.

Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:31 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

DavidWS wrote:
No experience, but out of interest I just looked up the spec & noticed:

FRFR-108: Frequency Range: 52 Hz – 22 kHz (-10dB)
FRFR-112: Frequency Range: 46 Hz – 22 kHz (-10 dB)

Based on A4 = 440 Hz,
G1 => 49 Hz
C1 => 32.7 Hz

So, I'm sitting here plugged into an amp modeler (clean - no amp, cabinet, EQ or effects) and thence into an FRFR112, and while I'm the last person to accurately assess the tonal qualities of any signal chain, I can't say that there seems to be any significant roll-off of anything when getting down to the D1 (36.71 hz), which with C#1 are probably the lowest practical notes that you're going to play on the bass side with any of the more common tunings. You'll have to pluck to get the C, though I think on the Railboards, the C1 can be tapped.

FWIW, I've been playing bass through this speaker for several years, where the lowest note is E1, so only two to three semi-tones higher than what we can produce with a Stick. I've never had any cause for complaint.

Rosewood #1027 Baritone Melody, StickUps
Blue Railboard #7228 Matched Reciprocal, EMG block

Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:47 am