It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:47 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Just Stick? 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: Just Stick?
Yes, my Bajinn... which I believe it tuned in a C scale, along with a variety of celtic folk instruments including lyres, dulcimers, an African kalimba, Native American hand drums, an electric zither, and my latest favorite instrument which is a Native American bass flute.

I started on electric bass in or around 1982, which these days holds very little interest with me, and got into Stick playing only a few years ago.

But as of late, I'm not even playing the Sticks that much - just the instruments that I listed in my first paragraph.

Sometimes it's nice when the instrument makes the choice for you when it comes to sound :)

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:48 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

gpoorman wrote:
I play Stick, fingerstyle acoustic, and piano/synths. Stick and guitar get about equal time right now. Over the years I've found that I can give a reasonable amount of attention to two of those but one always suffers. Right now it's the piano/keys. It's a moving target though.

One thing I like about playing multiple instruments is that I avoid the dreaded plateau. I may hit a wall with one when I'm not really improving and don't feel motivated so I'll move to one of the others. I've yet to ever get to a place where I'm not motivated to play any of them.

Of course, it's likely I'll never be a virtuoso at any of them but I can live with that ;-)

Yep, the dreaded plateau. Sounds to me you are in perfect balance and stepping away from one and going to the other keeps everything fresh and interesting. I was involved in a sport years ago and over preparations was exactly what you were referring “The Dreaded Plateau “.

Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:00 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Still play my guitars and basses, and a fretless bass I ordered almost two years ago might be finished this week. Another victim of supply chain issues.

Performing is a different story. At open mics or other invites to private parties the instrument I'm least fond of is electric guitar. Too often once people like what you are doing, they ask "Can you play _____"? Not possible for me to learn every rock tune from Wishbone Ash to Metallica. What I do like is using hybrid electric/piezo guitars that give me acoustic and electric tones, at some point there's a new offering from Emerald I'm interested in adding.

One thing I'm trying to revisit is playing open mics backing up acoustic players with fretless bass - inspired by Michael Manring / Michael Hedges. Had a great opportunity blown last year as the bass I needed didn't show up. The one I have sounds more like an upright bass, and is not good for round wounds.

What I bring is often determined by what I can carry. or have room to store when not playing. For open mics when there are less people showing up to play, I can switch from Stick to something else.

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:37 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

MichNS wrote:
Still play my guitars and basses, and a fretless bass I ordered almost two years ago might be finished this week. Another victim of supply chain issues.

Performing is a different story. At open mics or other invites to private parties the instrument I'm least fond of is electric guitar. Too often once people like what you are doing, they ask "Can you play _____"? Not possible for me to learn every rock tune from Wishbone Ash to Metallica. What I do like is using hybrid electric/piezo guitars that give me acoustic and electric tones, at some point there's a new offering from Emerald I'm interested in adding.

One thing I'm trying to revisit is playing open mics backing up acoustic players with fretless bass - inspired by Michael Manring / Michael Hedges. Had a great opportunity blown last year as the bass I needed didn't show up. The one I have sounds more like an upright bass, and is not good for round wounds.

What I bring is often determined by what I can carry. or have room to store when not playing. For open mics when there are less people showing up to play, I can switch from Stick to something else.
ah , active entertainer using the other tools in your arsenal (not just Stick). The Manring/ Hedges team was very entertaining, the losing of Hedges left a little void regarding Manring. Then the Zon Hyper Bass development quite futuristic and advanced. Your another workmen with options.

Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:36 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

When I started to get serious about Stick once upon a time, I forced myself to only play the Chapman Stick. This went on for about 12 years at which point, I found myself subbing on bass gigs with the Stick and feeling like a bass would have been more appropriate.

I then found that if I brought both the Chapman Stick and the bass to a gig, I was able to play more comfortably with the bass OR the Stick. When switching, there was the inevitable feeling like both had been compromised just to have options (tone, feel, etc.). I felt like I had to choose.

I never had to choose though, it was all in my head.

The question may be - What do I want to achieve in playing only a single instrument?

Do I eat only open face sandwiches? Only eat off of plastic plates? Drive during the day? These are comparable comparisons in my mind.

I realized that the reason I wanted to only play Stick was to feel confident I could carry a solo set (or 3, which was my goal) and I achieved it (tip of hat to captain strings). The challenge since has been what to keep, what to expand / explore and what to never play again.

I was delighted to purchase a new Tele, my first guitar in 30 years. It brought back wonderful memories and stoked my love of it's unique tuning and feel. It renewed my musicality for music and if anything renewed my endeavor to pursue a new Bach piece on the Stick - all of that from a Tele? I can't explain, that was just the way my musical mind worked.

It was inspiration and that was all that I could have hoped for.

Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:18 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

[quote="earthgene"] What do I want to achieve in playing only a single instrument?

Well if you were a complete beginner like me and trying to survive a rehearsal (and, way off in the future, live gigs) with two monster players on their instruments (guitar & drums) then, for some months or years, there is no time for distracting yourself with a second instrument ...

Last edited by ClausRogge on Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:22 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hesitant to chime in here as I’m not a Stick player at all yet, having only had one for less than two months. But I also study drums, guitar & bass. Guitar is the one getting the least attention right now. I have a weekly drum lesson that keeps me moving forward on that. Bass is off-and-on as I take on different projects.

I play with keys simply as a way of learning & experimenting with theory. As discussed elsewhere, I’m trying to find time to learn more about synths.

Rosewood #1027 Baritone Melody, StickUps
Blue Railboard #7228 Matched Reciprocal, EMG block

Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:31 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

SteveS wrote:
Hesitant to chime in here as I’m not a Stick player at all yet, having only had one for less than two months. But I also study drums, guitar & bass. Guitar is the one getting the least attention right now. I have a weekly drum lesson that keeps me moving forward on that. Bass is off-and-on as I take on different projects.

I play with keys simply as a way of learning & experimenting with theory. As discussed elsewhere, I’m trying to find time to learn more about synths.

If you own a Stick and your playing it your a Stick player. A real multifaceted musician and educated endlessly seeking contentment, your here at last. Welcome to the jungle.

Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:36 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

ClausRogge wrote:
earthgene wrote:
What do I want to achieve in playing only a single instrument?

Well if you were a complete beginner like me and trying to survive a rehearsal (and, way off in the future, live gigs) with two monster players on their instruments (guitar & drums) then, for some months or years, there is no time for distracting yourself with a second instrument ...

Your in a tough environment. You better be a Stick Monster. Or else. Quote “ hello darkest my ole friend”. Have fun ! Godzilla.

Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:40 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

stickyfingers wrote:
Your in a tough environment.

I started this band so I'm the boss ;) ... I like it like that, I'm learning real fast! My age, you don't have all that much time to get better and this is the best way I know, play with people who are way above you. Just in order to not be embarrassing, I have to work really hard no matter what else needs to be done.

Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:58 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next