It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:16 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Just Stick? 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Just Stick?
robmartino wrote:

Ultimately it seemed like there was a lot more new and fertile ground/ I put down all the other instruments and the Stick has never failed to provide inspiration or limited what I've wanted to accomplish musically.

I've been putting in more practice time on this new instrument and it's incredibly fun and fulfilling.

I've found the Stick to be such a great foundation for making music- it can be quite satisfying approached simply, with minimal effects, or you can build complex sonic worlds with it, able to utilize all kinds of synthesis and effects technology.

I was going to put up a "thought" to the newbies "struggling" and then saw this.
My nexus was seeing (apparently) musicians (again, apparently mostly guitarists) giving up on the Stick - maybe because they find the time needed doesn't bring what they want - the proficiency - they find on their "primary" instrument.
But, again, I see a lot of bassists just enjoying the Stick for what it is - namely a tool for music.
My thing was going to be "Independence vs. Fun" and I have to say from my point of view coming from bass and never putting in the discipline needed I have MORE FUN with the Stick than anything else. Musically, sonically, compositionally, you know. More INSTANT GRATIFICATION vs. the frustration of "not playing like Emmett, Bob. Steve, Greg, Tony, Nick..."
So, yeah, you new people out there with your high expectations. If you can afford a Stick, Stick with it for the ride.

Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:11 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

AnDroiD wrote:
I was going to put up a "thought" to the newbies "struggling" and then saw this....My thing was going to be "Independence vs. Fun" and I have to say from my point of view coming from bass and never putting in the discipline needed I have MORE FUN with the Stick than anything else. Musically, sonically, compositionally, you know. More INSTANT GRATIFICATION vs. the frustration of "not playing like Emmett, Bob. Steve, Greg, Tony, Nick..."
So, yeah, you new people out there with your high expectations. If you can afford a Stick, Stick with it for the ride.

I think there's a lot to be said for an on going Beginner's Mind approach to a lot of things & the Stick is no exception.

That 's maybe not so hard for me? I've only been playing guitar for a little over 2 years & am only just starting to get a 'feel' with that , so why would I expect any markedly faster progress with the Stick?

Half the fret board is in the same tuning (I use all fourths on guitar too), but that's that's about the only crossover - the normal fretting hand is now playing 5ths, and both hands are making notes in a totally different way.

Better, as you say, to take it for what it its. Lots to learn, lots to get used to, but oh those beautiful sustained vibrato sounds (even for someone as 'Beginner' as me). :D

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic

Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:32 pm

Back in 1994 I sold all my basses so I could learn the Stick and have no distractions. Also as I was gigging a lot with my band at the time, it was the only thing I took with me (and fourteen effects pedals, three volume pedals and a rack of Alesis Quadraverbs).....

There's a bass guitar in the house, never gets touched.

Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:42 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I've been playing drums for just over two years, and at this point am not in the least hesitant to "show off" by boring someone with some cover or other. I'm also starting to really play with it - just sitting and starting in on a beat, then working out different fills, or shifting the beat or...

I mention the drums as they were a much more drastic departure from what I'd done before - guitar and bass. Going from guitar to bass was almost a no-brainer. The tuning is basically the same, and it's simultaneously easier (more repetitive patterns) and harder (really rewards knowledge of and the ability to apply theory) than guitar, but mostly it was just learning some subtly different techniques. The worst part of making that transition for me was kicking myself for not having done it sooner. I found that I could have been a much more accomplished musician had I started earlier on bass. It seems to be an instrument much more to my approach to music than the guitar.

Going to Stick is more like taking up drums. A whole different way of interacting with an instrument and a different way of thinking about music.

All this to say that I think you have to give a new instrument a lot of attention for a couple of years before it begins to feel comfortable, and you can really start to relax and enjoy it. It takes patience, both with the instrument and yourself. Having some way to measure your progress is super important — just noodling doesn't demonstrably get you anywhere. You have to set small goals, achieve them, then set the next goal.

Rosewood #1027 Baritone Melody, StickUps
Blue Railboard #7228 Matched Reciprocal, EMG block

Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:33 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I play mainly guitar, be it electric, acoustic, or bass, and I am in the process of learning the piano two develop two-hand independence. I use any of these instruments to play songs that I like. I used the stick more as an experimental instrument or to arrange new songs that I like.

Support: bitcoin:bc1qedfg9z55ux3tlnf7qnnu3vggv8vant604dasye?message=Donate

http://www.instagram.com/waltschwarzkopf

Tue May 03, 2022 7:15 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I used to play Tuba, and String Bass. Bass I had to give up when I injured my hands. Kept playing and teaching Tuba for quite awhile, but when that slowed down I ended selling my horn to buy my N/S. Was a good decision but still miss playing brass sometimes. ;)

http://www.facebook.com/qualitytimejazz

Fri May 13, 2022 10:13 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I miss playing trombone and upright bass. Nothing like the timbre.

Mon May 16, 2022 7:46 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I have to add even though I have 5 basses - 1 short-scale, 1 elec/acoustic, 1 4-string, 8-string fretless, 1 4 fretless - I get my bass jones off my Stick. I also have 2 "Joni" guitars, which are fun for writing & modal, I get my thin-string jones off the Stick, too.
It's just more fun...

Tue May 17, 2022 8:58 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

AnDroiD wrote:
I have to add even though I have 5 basses - 1 short-scale, 1 elec/acoustic, 1 4-string, 8-string fretless, 1 4 fretless - I get my bass jones off my Stick. I also have 2 "Joni" :!: :x guitars, which are fun for writing & modal, I get my thin-string jones off the Stick, too.
:!: It's just more fun...

Thumbs-Up

Tue May 17, 2022 10:38 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

stickyfingers wrote:
AnDroiD wrote:
I have to add even though I have 5 basses - 1 short-scale, 1 elec/acoustic, 1 4-string, 8-string fretless, 1 4 fretless - I get my bass jones off my Stick. I also have 2 "Joni" :!: :x guitars, which are fun for writing & modal, I get my thin-string jones off the Stick, too.
:!: It's just more fun...

Thumbs-Up

Thumbs too!

Wed May 18, 2022 8:03 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next