It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:55 am

Stick Notation and Tab in MuseScore 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Stick Notation and Tab in MuseScore
arcoddath wrote:
Thank you for putting in the work so we didn't have to!

I just hope you find it useful. I've been spending most of my time with MuseScore re-transcribing bass scores, but I hope I'll have an opportunity to do Stick arrangements eventually.

Rosewood #1027 Baritone Melody, StickUps
Blue Railboard #7228 Matched Reciprocal, EMG block

Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:29 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Just a little update...

For those not aware, MuseScore has just released MuseScore4.

It is a jaw-dropping upgrade.

I can't believe these guys put in so much work on an open-source project. Probably at this point far superior to either Sibelius or Finale.

There was some major re-writing of the foundational code, a switch in the UI library they were using (that alone makes me want to faint dead away...) and completely re-worked the sound module and are now supplying some absolutely fabulous orchestral sounds. As an aside, the guy to whom the project was handed a couple of years ago is a guy I follow on YouTube, and he put out this fascinating overview of the project. See the link below if interested.

Anyway, I just wanted to mention that the template I posted somewhere above worked superbly in MuseScore4 without modifications. I used it today to start work on an arrangement of "Stardust." It ain't StaffTab, but with the custom note-heads available in MuseScore, I can get all of the same info in my arrangements, if not in as compact a form.

Here's a little screen-shot.

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2023-01-06 at 10.10.02 PM.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:18 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

SteveS wrote:
but with the custom note-heads available in MuseScore, I can get all of the same info in my arrangements, if not in as compact a form.

Is that using one of the 'shape' based ''Notehead schemes"?

AIUI Those schemes set the heads according to the scale degree (e.g. 'do' for the key note if using the 'moveable do' scheme)? Are you using something else, or is there maybe a way to tweak each notehead to get the symbol of your choice even if it's not the scale degree associated with that shape?

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic

Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:07 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

MuseScore4. Wow that's brutal.

Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:59 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

DavidWS wrote:
AIUI Those schemes set the heads according to the scale degree (e.g. 'do' for the key note if using the 'moveable do' scheme)? Are you using something else, or is there maybe a way to tweak each notehead to get the symbol of your choice even if it's not the scale degree associated with that shape?

Two different properties - notehead vs notehead system.

You can change individual noteheads, or you can select multiple noteheads and specify an alternate notehead system for those notes. What we do to indicate fingering is done simply by specifying a different notehead for each note. The screenshot below shows the properties sheet showing both options – the individual noteheads at the top, and the systems at the bottom.

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2023-01-24 at 11.06.36 AM.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:11 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

SteveS wrote:
What we do to indicate fingering is done simply by specifying a different notehead for each note.

Got it SteveS. I thought that was probably the case.

I'd only recently 'found' Nothead Schemes, while looking for possible ways to produce music in the style of ImproviseForReal 'numbers'. There is now a feature/plugin request at MuseScore for a scheme something like the 'moveable do' option, but showing numbers (1,2,3, etc.,) rather than do, re, mi, etc.,

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic

Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:12 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

NOTE: musescore can also export it's scores into music xml files, which other programs like sibelius and finale can read. it's also a decent way if you are using musescore4 to allow people using musescore3 to read your files.

SteveS wrote:
Okay - here is the updated documentation, plus a fresh template (no different than the one yesterday other than not having the extraneous 8va bass clef on the tablature). As I mention at the end, while going through this step-by-step to revise the instructions, I ended up with a template that wasn't working properly - it was seeing perfectly legitimate notes as outside the range of the instrument, yet AFAICT everything was set properly. Started over - with the exact same steps - and it worked just fine. Go figure...

Anyway, this seems to be good to go. Even if you don't want to start from scratch (it really only takes about 5 minutes - 10 at the most), if you want to take the template attached here and modify it, the step-by-step should explain everything you need to modify the template for that 12-string Deep Baritone Melody tuning you've been using.

Attachment:
Chapman Stick 10-string MR Template 1.2.mscz

Attachment:
MuseScore Chapman Stick Notation v 1.2.pdf

Sat May 06, 2023 11:07 am