It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:43 pm

EMG RB-10 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: EMG RB-10
I just changed my order to use the new EMG RB-10 R-Block.

Jeff says the lead time is 3-4 months instead of 6-8. I don't know if this is from my original order date, or from the date I made the change, but either way, it looks like I'll have it by summer!! :mrgreen:

Rosewood #1027 Baritone Melody, StickUps
Blue Railboard #7228 Matched Reciprocal, EMG block

Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:52 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

mike.hoegeman wrote:
Waiting for the 12 string version : )

Yes, that's what I too am waiting for :-)

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:00 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

greg wrote:
bizon wrote:
I wonder if SE will eventually offer EMG passive pickups as an option on the PASV4 as well. I'd certainly prefer a tone knob to the notch filters currently on the P4.

This was one of my first thoughts when I found out about these new pickups. They are custom EMGs made to fit the Railboard, which has a shallower space available for the pickup. We could do what you are suggesting with a deeper pickup. Already having the PASV-4, though, there would have to be enough demand for it to make it worth pursuing... stay tuned....

What do you think the chances would be to have additional bridge pickups on the R-block module like the PASV-4?

I ask because I typically like to use both neck and bridge pickups on my PASV-4 to get that sort-of-Stickup sound with a modern flavor.

Padauk 10 String #4951
DBM Tuning

Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:24 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

TappistRT wrote:
greg wrote:
bizon wrote:
I wonder if SE will eventually offer EMG passive pickups as an option on the PASV4 as well. I'd certainly prefer a tone knob to the notch filters currently on the P4.

This was one of my first thoughts when I found out about these new pickups. They are custom EMGs made to fit the Railboard, which has a shallower space available for the pickup. We could do what you are suggesting with a deeper pickup. Already having the PASV-4, though, there would have to be enough demand for it to make it worth pursuing... stay tuned....

What do you think the chances would be to have additional bridge pickups on the R-block module like the PASV-4?

I ask because I typically like to use both neck and bridge pickups on my PASV-4 to get that sort-of-Stickup sound with a modern flavor.
I think the issues would be whether there was enough space along the line of the string to get a substantially different tone, and also whether there was enough room to fit the pickups.

Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:58 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

greg wrote:
TappistRT wrote:
greg wrote:
bizon wrote:

I think the issues would be whether there was enough space along the line of the string to get a substantially different tone, and also whether there was enough room to fit the pickups.

Has anyone in these parts done a "tone knob" switcheroo?

Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:10 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

There are some choice comments from Kevin Keith about the new module on this page, as well as one of his recent videos which really does a great job of showing off the pickup.

http://stick.com/instruments/railboard/emg_rb10.shtml

Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:30 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

The pickup sounds great. I have two questions about it however.

With the understanding that the Railboard pickups are slightly quieter due to the engineering requirements of the instrument- I am curious to know if there are any differences in the output when comparing the RB-10 with the Villex.

I am also curious if the EMG might be shielded more/or differently than the Villex, as I suffer from some interference buzz on my Railboard when my gain is up and I am on the brightest tone setting (passive mode.)

(I don't hear it on any other setting, and am able to block it by EQing hard at around 4 MHz. Just curious if I might have better luck with the EMG RB-10 in my house.)

Railboard #7205 MR

Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:30 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Amberhawk wrote:
The pickup sounds great. I have two questions about it however.

With the understanding that the Railboard pickups are slightly quieter due to the engineering requirements of the instrument- I am curious to know if there are any differences in the output when comparing the RB-10 with the Villex.

I am also curious if the EMG might be shielded more/or differently than the Villex, as I suffer from some interference buzz on my Railboard when my gain is up and I am on the brightest tone setting (passive mode.)

(I don't hear it on any other setting, and am able to block it by EQing hard at around 4 MHz. Just curious if I might have better luck with the EMG RB-10 in my house.)

The output is about the same. The EMG has a stronger midrange presence, the Villex is a little brighter, and I tend to add just a little more bass eq to the EMG.

I haven't noticed any hum or buzz issues with the EMG.

Just curious. What are you plugging it into?

Swapping the pickups out is pretty easy. you would have to loosen all the strings and "wedge" them up with something soft, like a block wrapped in a small towel. Then it's simply a matter of removing the two mounting screws that hold it in from above.

Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:26 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Quote:
Just curious. What are you plugging it into?

Thanks for the response Greg. I typically run into an HX Stomp and then into a old Behringer keyboard amp, or headphones. The buzz is 100% my house though, and not any problem with amp/cable/pickups. I have taken my Railboard on many a road trip and it’s always nice and clean elsewhere. It’s just an annoyance that I can’t enjoy pristine sounds at home. Always have to engage the filter or use a noise gate, or some combination. I can also use the active mode too.

Railboard #7205 MR

Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:04 pm

Just a quick update! I just made the swap to the EMG on my Railboard. After the terror of modifying my stick went away and I got it slotted in, got the strings back in tune, and played a bit my initial feelings are of happiness, joy and contentment. Things that I happen to be in short supply of these days. Now I love my stick even more, if such a thing were even possible. <3

Railboard #7205 MR

Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:43 am