Site Donor

Post Re: Learning note names
You're Opah?

Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:28 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Oh I see, it’s for people to help them learn the naming cycle of 4ths. Whatever works for you I guess. Not applicable to me; I know my notes and have no need for phrases like that.

CFBbEb AbDbGb BEADG

Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:09 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

stickyfingers wrote:
stickyfingers wrote:
Jayesskerr wrote:
Ummm so what IS the relevance of "Friggin" and the "ooo"? Seriously, what do those mean?

Exampl: on the appointed melody frets horizontally where it starts with a F#BEADG .the F# is (Friggin)BEADGooC.the (oo) =2-1/2 steps which brings you to C.The GooC=Goosee you know like a Goosee (jumpy)

Or FRIGGIN GO SEE !

lol got it. Kind of lame, just learn the notes... :D

(Sorry - "lame" in regards to me wasting time figuring out what it means since I already know it - not a reference to the concept. Whatever works.)

Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:56 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Oh Arrrgh, McCookies!

Good to meet you on this forum.

I probably use a combination of a lot of what's folk have offered here. I'm also using piano method books. Like Jaco Pastorius said, "the only short cut is the long way around". Well, Emmett did give us a somewhat of a short cut with parallel 4ths & 5ths.

Try this Béla Bártok for size. (I wouldn't want to do to much more transcribing/sharing of this, for obvious reasons). 1 & 2 are notated for classic tuning in full staff tab, 3 & 4 are as is.
Number 1 has the right hand going over the fret 17 linear marker, which can be helpful learning notes either side of fret 17. I thought the combination of 3 & 4 longer bass also helps in fluency.

As folk have said, sometimes just staying in a certain neighbourhood on the touchboard can help with note recognition. You'll gradually work your way out from different familiar areas, to recognise more of the board.

Being able to visualise the fretboard (mental practice) is another approach and one of the strongest practicing tools.

Hope that helps.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

https://www.facebook.com/stickradmusic/
https://www.facebook.com/southernstickevents/

Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:11 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

About time I replied, I think!

Thank you to you all - so many good ideas and different approaches to consider.

I felt somewhat overwhelmed standing at the foot of a 288 fret mountain and looking for a toe hold. I'm feeling a bit more confident now.

Finally, thank you so much to EC. I absolutely love this instrument! It's so me...

Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:48 am

paigan0 wrote:
On my HarpejjiK24...

Well, there went 5 hours of my day. And now the wife wants one, so add $5k to my eventual losses.

I'll be more than happy to get her one though. She has no interest in the Stick, but I'm dying to make music with her.

Thu May 19, 2022 7:38 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

ThinkMethod wrote:
HarpejjiK24.....now the wife wants one, so add $5k to my eventual losses....no interest in the Stick, but I'm dying to make music with her.

Sounds like an investment, with solid potential for returns to me. :D

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic

Fri May 20, 2022 1:33 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Well said...
I'm the same way. I pick up any instrument whether it be a sax, harmonica, guitar, Stick, keyboard, etc. and I play what I like to play. I don't have an audience, I don't mimic other musicians. I just play for the enjoyment of playing. This is how I de-stress at the end of the day. or at the start of the day, or simply any time that I want to play.

Big George Waters wrote:
I'll be quite honest, I have no idea where the notes are on any instrument outside of a few names of strings, since I play by ear as opposed to notes or written down music BUT to me it is ultra important to know your fingerboard inside and out - know all the octaves, know all the relationships between and with [in my case...] the sounds that are made at each fret location.

I realize this could be viewed as a huge handicap, but for me when I spent quite a bit of time in studios in NYC during the early/mid 1990s, the fact that I saw and heard things from a different approach, a different angle - since my playing would be based on what I thought sounded right, or what I thought would work - as opposed to knowing the correct notes - this enabled me to have, so I was told anyway... a very adventurous, original style on the electric bass, which also displayed much feeling and emotion.

These days, I love playing my mid 1980s Ironwood, in Classic tuning - but as to what I am doing with it, that I could not tell you - except that to me it sounds most pleasing :)

So, my answer to you is if you want to learn the notes, if you see yourself wanting to play covers... then this is probably necessary, but to me if you are seeking to be a player with a more unique, individual original voice, then to me anyway... I think it's more important to really know your instrument inside and out from a sonic standpoint vs written/notes/etc.... and don't be afraid to think outside the box !!

Either way, Play and Have Fun.

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Sun May 22, 2022 11:51 am