It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:39 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Railboard, sound 

Post Re: Railboard, sound
WerkSpace wrote:
The Line 6 Helix was the solution to my problem. 8-)

Hi,

Thank you. I am currently using 2 eventide h9 as effects units. It is about time to test the helix. What effects do you use with the helix?

Best Regards, Andi

Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:42 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I'm just the opposite, I'm searching for a real piano sound.

Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:58 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Thank's for your answers.
I am currently using 2 eventide h9 as effects units.
It is about time to test the helix. What effects do you use with the helix?

Best Regards, Andi

Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:17 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

When I first got my Helix Floor, I thought that programming it would be a nightmare, but after 10 minutes of using it, I figured it out. It's one of the simplest pedals that I've ever used and it's very visual. Download a couple of youtube videos and you will become an expert in no time.

Here's a list of what is available.
https://dshowmusic.com/line-6-helix-effect-models

I use these on different presets;
- LA Studio Comp (dynamic)
- minotaur (distortion)
- 63 spring reverb (reverb)
- heavy distortion (distortion)
- barberpole (modulation)
- ducked delay (delay)

andikad wrote:
WerkSpace wrote:
The Line 6 Helix was the solution to my problem. 8-)

Hi,

Thank you. I am currently using 2 eventide h9 as effects units. It is about time to test the helix. What effects do you use with the helix?

Best Regards, Andi

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:40 pm
Contributor
Contributor

I know what you mean, i really wanted to like the Railboard, ´cause i´m in love with the design and colors but after watching tons of videos and finally trying it from a friend i came to the conclusion that i prefer the classic Stick sound, specially on the bass side.
In my opinion the Railboard sounds too electric and shinny and for me the Stick apart of being related to a shape, technique etc it is related to a certain sound, the classic sound and every Stick i´ve tried with another pick up rather than the Stickup it sounds too different for me...
But it is a matter of taste, i think it´s great to have so many different options nowadays, i just wish there was an option of having the Railboard with the Stickup...

Greetings
TM

Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:13 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

andikad wrote:
Hi,
About a month ago, I bought a used 10-String-railboard from SE and I'm very happy with it.
Nevertheless, there is a little something ...
The sound on the melody side is a bit too much piano, too little guitar for me. Do you have some tips for me as I get the sound a bit more towards acoustic guitar or the older wooden Stick models?

Thank's

Best Regards, Andi

Disclaimer: I’m making a lot of assumptions below. So feel free to completely ignore my suggestions.

If you’re new to the stick, you’re going to sound that way to some degree regardless of the pickup till you get a little more experience playing. And develop a touch that goes past ‘ the typewriter stage ‘ as I sometimes recall it in myself.

It might help to take a few lessons from someone like Steve adelson. Who can probably give you some tips on this

Effects are fun, but I’d avoid using them to try to hide the pianistic sound which might be coming out of your fingers in at least equal measure as from your pickup..

Now that I have said all that. I’ve found using some tube preamp / simulators, or real ones help. I like the alembic preamp simulator I have and fender amps sims like a bassman or deluxe or twin sound good with a clean or maybe very slightly driven setting. I also like using a Ibanez tube screamer style effect that’s again is just barely on in the drive dial. I don’t like out and out compressors much because they obstruct you too much from hearing the dynamics of how you play.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:17 am
Contributor
Contributor

FWIW...

I really like the Railboard sound. I think it is really pretty amazing. And to my ears I like it quite a bit more than any stick I have heard.

That said to me.. what I really like and that may be what you are not liking is the clarity and head room.

I think an easy and cheap way to try to dial this back might be to get a cheap graohic eq pedal. Dial back the highs and boost some of the mids. And then tweak the lows as desired.

I think a compressor could do a ton of good as well. But it would need to be used really subtly. And dialed in really well to achieve the right results. It would be really easy to go overboard on this.

What I think you are looking to do is to round off some of the high end edges.

I’d also use these before amp input and NOT part of amp effect loop.

Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:14 pm

Hi,

many thanks for your experiences and recommendations. I have been playing Stick for about 3 years and already had a 10-string with stickup, which I unfortunately had to return due to major problems with climate changes.
I have now ordered a used Alto Stick in addition to the Railboard and hope to be happy with both instruments. The railboard sound for my ears definitely benefits from a bit of chorus, reduction of heights and a boost of Frequencies around 600 Hz.

Best regards, Andi

Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:34 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

andikad wrote:
I have now ordered a used Alto Stick in addition to the Railboard
I think that was a good move if you want a more guitar-like tone. With the longer string length of Grands and Railboards you just can't have "a guitar-like tone". The reason I play SG-12s, and have fun with a Grand on the side, is the guitar-like tone I get out of that shorter string length. They are more like one unified instrument, while the long-scaled Sticks are more like "a bass guitar and a baritone guitar".

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:11 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

tomasmerlo wrote:
I know what you mean, i really wanted to like the Railboard, ´cause i´m in love with the design and colors but after watching tons of videos and finally trying it from a friend i came to the conclusion that i prefer the classic Stick sound, specially on the bass side.
In my opinion the Railboard sounds too electric and shinny and for me the Stick apart of being related to a shape, technique etc it is related to a certain sound, the classic sound and every Stick i´ve tried with another pick up rather than the Stickup it sounds too different for me...
But it is a matter of taste, i think it´s great to have so many different options nowadays, i just wish there was an option of having the Railboard with the Stickup...

Exactly my sentiments. I want to like the Railboard as I'm fascinated with fret/body being all one material. I'm also a hardwood fan since that's my other identity. But...learning to deal with the super-dry Saskatchewan winters over the past 10 years have taught me a thing or two about hardwood sticks: basically that it's a huge pain in the ass to keep certain hardwoods (Padauk) from shifting too much.

So, I'd love to get a new Stick of an alternative material, if it would avoid hydration issues some. But, I've never liked the 'plastic' sound of the block pickups (just my opinion and ears).

I wonder how Bamboo holds up to humidity shifts. Does anyone know?

https://www.youtube.com/c/BrianBaggett306

Lap Bars: https://brianbaggettwoodcraft.ca/chapma ... -lap-bars/
TAGG Interface: https://brianbaggettwoodcraft.ca/tagg-interface/

Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:04 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next