It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:18 am

Question re: Railboard Finishes 

Post Question re: Railboard Finishes
For those who have Railboards, how resistant are the standard anodized finishes to scratching and scuffing?

I ask because I often deal with products with aluminum anodized finishes in my work and, while they are very hard, they are certainly not scratch-proof. Further, once scratched or dinged, it is hard to repair the finish to "like new" again. In the architectural world, there are typically two anodized coating systems: Class I which has an anodic coating of 0.7 mils (0.7 one-thousandths of an inch) and Class II which has an anodic coating of 0.4 mils. Typically Class I is suitable for exterior exposures and Class II for interior / low-abuse applications.

The other reason I ask is because Stick Enterprises mentions that the optional plasma finishes are super hard, which I interpret as meaning they would give you better protection vs. the inevitable dings and scratches as compared to the standard anodized. Part of my calculus is trying to figure out if it is worth the extra $ 300 to get the plasma coating not only because they look cool, but also because they may offer better protection.

Thanks.

Ancient 10-String Brazilian Ironwood #881

Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:37 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Re: Question re: Railboard Finishes
These anodized finishes are nothing like your run-of-the-mill anodized aluminum household stuff. These are hard anodized to a ruby hardness. Different process. Since the fret rails will hold up to relentless string tapping without a sign of wear, I shouldn't worry about minor scratches.

Maybe Emmett will weigh in.

Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:32 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I had a standard anodized rail board and never had a problem with scratches. Some rail board owners had residue on frets from where strings contacted rails. A previous post discussed this issue and how to remedy it by rubbing it off with a pencil eraser.

My next rail board will have the hard chrome-like finish because of esthetics. I like the way it looks, and possibly the way it will feel under my fingertips.

Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:34 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

March Hare wrote:
For those who have Railboards, how resistant are the standard anodized finishes to scratching and scuffing?

I ask because I often deal with products with aluminum anodized finishes in my work and, while they are very hard, they are certainly not scratch-proof. Further, once scratched or dinged, it is hard to repair the finish to "like new" again. In the architectural world, there are typically two anodized coating systems: Class I which has an anodic coating of 0.7 mils (0.7 one-thousandths of an inch) and Class II which has an anodic coating of 0.4 mils. Typically Class I is suitable for exterior exposures and Class II for interior / low-abuse applications.

The other reason I ask is because Stick Enterprises mentions that the optional plasma finishes are super hard, which I interpret as meaning they would give you better protection vs. the inevitable dings and scratches as compared to the standard anodized. Part of my calculus is trying to figure out if it is worth the extra $ 300 to get the plasma coating not only because they look cool, but also because they may offer better protection.

Thanks.

My experience with the anodized coating is where Captain Strings is: this coating is extremely thick. Emmett would have to give you how deep a layer it is, but I suspect it's far past the Class I or II that you describe for consumer electronics.

I would look at the plasma coatings as pretty much aesthetic, more than any "extra" protection. As for hardness, it would be adding more extremely hard and durable coatings onto an already hard and durable coating. I think Emmett and SE (Stick Enterprises) were just pointing out that they're not putting a soft plasma coating onto the hard anodized material, but it's another durable layer in itself.

But the Railboard has been a battle tank of durability for me in my 828 days of hard use with it. Not a scratch or mark on it.

If I were to get a 12-string, I'm strongly leaning towards the Railboard with the gold plasma finish, but just for the bling of it.

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:38 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Even if it doesn't make much of a difference re: hardness, I may eventually go for one of the plasma boards for the bling reasons cited above. While I think the linear pattern in the surface of the regular railboards (parallel to the rails/ frets) looks very cool, there's something about the plasma finish. My goal one day is to swap my ancient 10-string ironwood out for a 12-string gunmetal plasma with rust glitter linear inlays.......and maybe get the MIDI in the melody strings to boot......

....of course, the plum and maroon regular anodized finishes are pretty great too....decisions, decisions......

Ancient 10-String Brazilian Ironwood #881

Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:37 am