It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:38 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic Bookmark and Share  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Any piano players have any advice for the Stick? 
Author Message
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:07 pm
Posts: 6309
Location: Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Post Re: Any piano players have any advice for the Stick?
Welcome!

I like the Classic tuning (with a high bass 4th) on the Grand Stick the most, though I also have a Railboard and enjoy the sound and feel of that instrument very much.

The Classic tuning gives you the highest melody range of the long-scale tunings, and you can go way below middle C with your right hand as well. Your left hand can go almost as high due to the bass 5ths.

Unless you are dead set on learning "piano music" verbatim, then there's every reason to try the Classic tuning. once you learn how to move along the string and skip you fingers over each other (very much like the way the thumb crosses under in playing scale on piano), then you can literally fly around the 5ths tuning with ease.

I like the high bass 4th for the chord voicings it facilitates.

By far the two best things about the 5ths tuning are the simple and compact chord shapes you get in the left hand and the great range one hand can cover at. For an in-depth look at these attributes see this video:



one result of this great range in the 5ths is that there is a lot of overlap between the string sets, which means you can play true unison, and some great cluster chords and patterns.

I hope that helps.

_________________
Happy tapping, greg
please don't PM me, If you want to get in touch use email stickist@aol.com

Stick Lessons by Skype and Google Video Chat


Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:55 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Member
Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:39 am
Posts: 56
Location: Maine, USA
Post Re: Any piano players have any advice for the Stick?
I’ve thought of getting some beginner/intermediate piano books and working with them to get hand independence and sight reading.

I am frustrated by my ability and repertoire on six other instruments that I’m trying to move right over to the stick.

_________________
P.S. Have a nice day.
http://www.brycecreative.com


Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:47 am
Profile
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 9:43 am
Posts: 3272
Post Re: Any piano players have any advice for the Stick?
atracksler wrote:
I’ve thought of getting some beginner/intermediate piano books and working with them to get hand independence and sight reading.


Most folks here feel that's not the way to do it at all - developing and using reading skills is a definite "no-no".

_________________
Grand Stick #6667
Railboard #6564
https://soundcloud.com/Jayesskerr Muh Soundcloud spot...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdNmj2xi91qQWLymozzMudA Muh Youtube place


Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:54 am
Profile
Member
Member

Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:31 am
Posts: 31
Location: Nottingham, UK
Post Re: Any piano players have any advice for the Stick?
Thanks Greg. I'm not set on learning "piano music", merely trying to approach the Stick with a more pianist mindset. Doesn't sound like I'm that far away from Classic tuning with Raised Matched Reciprocal, so seems I'll be in the right ballpark.

greg wrote:
Welcome!

I like the Classic tuning (with a high bass 4th) on the Grand Stick the most, though I also have a Railboard and enjoy the sound and feel of that instrument very much.

The Classic tuning gives you the highest melody range of the long-scale tunings, and you can go way below middle C with your right hand as well. Your left hand can go almost as high due to the bass 5ths.

Unless you are dead set on learning "piano music" verbatim, then there's every reason to try the Classic tuning. once you learn how to move along the string and skip you fingers over each other (very much like the way the thumb crosses under in playing scale on piano), then you can literally fly around the 5ths tuning with ease.

I like the high bass 4th for the chord voicings it facilitates.

By far the two best things about the 5ths tuning are the simple and compact chord shapes you get in the left hand and the great range one hand can cover at. For an in-depth look at these attributes see this video:



one result of this great range in the 5ths is that there is a lot of overlap between the string sets, which means you can play true unison, and some great cluster chords and patterns.

I hope that helps.


Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:31 am
Profile
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:07 pm
Posts: 6309
Location: Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Post Re: Any piano players have any advice for the Stick?
Jayesskerr wrote:
atracksler wrote:
I’ve thought of getting some beginner/intermediate piano books and working with them to get hand independence and sight reading.


Most folks here feel that's not the way to do it at all - developing and using reading skills is a definite "no-no".
For some reason, Scott thinks he knows how other people practice, and even what they think;)

I really like this book...

Image

cheers

_________________
Happy tapping, greg
please don't PM me, If you want to get in touch use email stickist@aol.com

Stick Lessons by Skype and Google Video Chat


Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:34 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:07 pm
Posts: 6309
Location: Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Post Re: Any piano players have any advice for the Stick?
mcgrahamhk wrote:
Thanks Greg. I'm not set on learning "piano music", merely trying to approach the Stick with a more pianist mindset. Doesn't sound like I'm that far away from Classic tuning with Raised Matched Reciprocal, so seems I'll be in the right ballpark.


Well, here's something to consider. The Matched Reciprocal tunings make a lot of sense if you are used to thinking about the instruments layout in relation to the nut. For me, I like to think about it in terms of the relationship to the inlays. With the Classic tuning, you have the same lettered note names at the first inlay marker on the bass strings as you do on the third inlay marker on the melody strings, (DAEBF#C# for both).same for the 2nd marker on the bass strings/4th marker on the melody strings (GDAEBF#)

This makes it MUCH easier to identify where the notes are in the most common playing regions of the board for each hand, and since we don't have black and white keys to guide us, this inlay correspondence is very helpful. Just my 2 cents, and I played MR on a Grand for about three years, so...

_________________
Happy tapping, greg
please don't PM me, If you want to get in touch use email stickist@aol.com

Stick Lessons by Skype and Google Video Chat


Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:40 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 9:43 am
Posts: 3272
Post Re: Any piano players have any advice for the Stick?
greg wrote:
Jayesskerr wrote:
atracksler wrote:
I’ve thought of getting some beginner/intermediate piano books and working with them to get hand independence and sight reading.


Most folks here feel that's not the way to do it at all - developing and using reading skills is a definite "no-no".
For some reason, Scott thinks he knows how other people practice, and even what they think;)

I really like this book...

Image

cheers


hahahahaha funny...

:D For some reason Greg seems to forget all of the less than supportive comments regarding sight-reading flying around here not to long ago... (Remember Madmonk?)

Plus, I have heaps of PM's from all kinds of folks telling me what's right, and what's wrong for this instrument, heck I also have 11 hours of videotaped footage of a self proclaimed "master guitarist/Stickist" telling me all kinds of things about the "proper way" to do things... Plus there are a LOT of posts I alone have made posing questions regarding playing and practice (each filled with tons of answers), so yeah I think I have the general idea of what it is that the general population does with a Stick when they practice, they have all told me over, and over again... The posts are there. Hundreds of them! So yes, I think I have the general 'gist' of what y'all do/don't do.

:D Anyways, carry on...

Here are a couple of threads that I think express the community's viewpoint pretty clearly...
http://www.stickist.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=11978
http://www.stickist.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12016

_________________
Grand Stick #6667
Railboard #6564
https://soundcloud.com/Jayesskerr Muh Soundcloud spot...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdNmj2xi91qQWLymozzMudA Muh Youtube place


Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:30 am
Profile
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:07 pm
Posts: 6309
Location: Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Post Re: Any piano players have any advice for the Stick?
Jayesskerr wrote:
[

hahahahaha funny...

:D For some reason Greg seems to forget all of the less than supportive comments regarding sight-reading flying around here not to long ago... (Remember Madmonk?)

Plus, I have heaps of PM's from all kinds of folks telling me what's right, and what's wrong for this instrument, heck I also have 11 hours of videotaped footage of a self proclaimed "master guitarist/Stickist" telling me all kinds of things about the "proper way" to do things... Plus there are a LOT of posts I alone have made posing questions regarding playing and practice (each filled with tons of answers), so yeah I think I have the general idea of what it is that the general population does with a Stick when they practice, they have all told me over, and over again... The posts are there. Hundreds of them! So yes, I think I have the general 'gist' of what y'all do/don't do.

:D Anyways, carry on...

Here are a couple of threads that I think express the community's viewpoint pretty clearly...
http://www.stickist.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=11978
http://www.stickist.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12016


My experience of the prejudice was the reverse. The idea was advanced that, unless you are learning to sightread then you are not really learning to play music on the instrument (I believe the term "painting by numbers" was used).

Here are some facts, take them as you will. Many, many times I've written this or something equivalent.

"If your goal is primarily to read piano or keyboard music, then choosing mirrored 4ths for your tuning makes a lot of sense."

Each tuning has its own strong points and weaknesses. No weakness is greater than a player's own self-imposed limitation, however (and I include myself in that critique).

So I guess you can hold onto "the past", and you can trot it out every time someone talks about reading music on the instrument. In my opinion, you'll gain more eyes and ears on your work if you let it go...

_________________
Happy tapping, greg
please don't PM me, If you want to get in touch use email stickist@aol.com

Stick Lessons by Skype and Google Video Chat


Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:02 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Member
Member

Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:31 am
Posts: 31
Location: Nottingham, UK
Post Re: Any piano players have any advice for the Stick?
greg wrote:
The Matched Reciprocal tunings make a lot of sense if you are used to thinking about the instruments layout in relation to the nut. For me, I like to think about it in terms of the relationship to the inlays. With the Classic tuning, you have the same lettered note names at the first inlay marker on the bass strings as you do on the third inlay marker on the melody strings, (DAEBF#C# for both).same for the 2nd marker on the bass strings/4th marker on the melody strings (GDAEBF#)

This makes it MUCH easier to identify where the notes are in the most common playing regions of the board for each hand, and since we don't have black and white keys to guide us, this inlay correspondence is very helpful. Just my 2 cents, and I played MR on a Grand for about three years, so...


I get you. Just had another look at the tuning layouts on stick.com to visualise how that will "feel". Without having a stick to do this on of course it's hard to say for certain and you are FAR more experienced than I, but thinking ahead with your advice in mind I may prefer to put common low notes more in proximity to one another rather than prioritise just the note names.

Image

For example, the lowest two melody strings D and G notes are located at the 8th fret on the melody side, and these are always going to be three frets higher than the lowest D and G notes located at the 5th position on the bass side. That way I can always locate common roots and fifths as I dance around the board. I trust that makes sense? Though only time will tell!

Also, just watched your Free Hands Friday interview (#23?) and really enjoyed your input on good tone through fuller hand and finger movement. I think this ties in beautifully with your comment about the more percussive nature of the Stick as opposed to other stringed instruments.


Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:14 pm
Profile
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 9:43 am
Posts: 3272
Post Re: Any piano players have any advice for the Stick?
greg wrote:
Jayesskerr wrote:
[

hahahahaha funny...

:D For some reason Greg seems to forget all of the less than supportive comments regarding sight-reading flying around here not to long ago... (Remember Madmonk?)

Plus, I have heaps of PM's from all kinds of folks telling me what's right, and what's wrong for this instrument, heck I also have 11 hours of videotaped footage of a self proclaimed "master guitarist/Stickist" telling me all kinds of things about the "proper way" to do things... Plus there are a LOT of posts I alone have made posing questions regarding playing and practice (each filled with tons of answers), so yeah I think I have the general idea of what it is that the general population does with a Stick when they practice, they have all told me over, and over again... The posts are there. Hundreds of them! So yes, I think I have the general 'gist' of what y'all do/don't do.

:D Anyways, carry on...

Here are a couple of threads that I think express the community's viewpoint pretty clearly...
http://www.stickist.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=11978
http://www.stickist.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12016


My experience of the prejudice was the reverse. The idea was advanced that, unless you are learning to sightread then you are not really learning to play music on the instrument (I believe the term "painting by numbers" was used).

Here are some facts, take them as you will. Many, many times I've written this or something equivalent.

"If your goal is primarily to read piano or keyboard music, then choosing mirrored 4ths for your tuning makes a lot of sense."

Each tuning has its own strong points and weaknesses. No weakness is greater than a player's own self-imposed limitation, however (and I include myself in that critique).

So I guess you can hold onto "the past", and you can trot it out every time someone talks about reading music on the instrument. In my opinion, you'll gain more eyes and ears on your work if you let it go...


hahahaha Uh-oh, here we go, eh?

Meh, no big whup. Not from my perspective. And I bear you no ill will, but I am always happy to answer...

Just defending my original statement that's all; letting you know that I think the way I do about the community's' methodology (And there's nothing wrong with what you guys do or don't do, not saying that) because of the many, many, many things made publicly available to be read here... And there's lots more than just the two I shared...

It's not even about holding on to anything, it's just there to be read and the information available (good, bad, positive, negative) paints a definite picture in regards to the community's general viewpoint on how things "should" be done and approached. That's all...

Have a good one, Greg! :D

_________________
Grand Stick #6667
Railboard #6564
https://soundcloud.com/Jayesskerr Muh Soundcloud spot...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdNmj2xi91qQWLymozzMudA Muh Youtube place


Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:31 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic Bookmark and Share  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

board3 Portal - based on phpBB3 Portal Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group. Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forums/DivisionCore.
Heavily modified by Stickist.com. Stickist.com is an authorized Chapman Stick® site. The Chapman Stick® and NS/Stick™ and their marks are federally registered trademarks exclusively licensed to Stick Enterprises, Inc., and are used on Stickist.com and NSstickist.com with SEI's permission.
Click here for more information.