It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:51 am

ACTV-2 Distorting 
Post ACTV-2 Distorting
Hello everyone,

I experienced a strange issue this evening with my Stick. The pickup was running in mono with a standard 1/4” guitar cable. When I tweaked the tone on the melody side, this awful feedback/distortion/alien-invasion-sounding hum completely took over.

I’ve only had this particular instrument for about 9 months and have not done any kind of extensive experimentation with the pickup. I’m more of a “pick it up, plug it in, play the instrument” type of person.

This was both in a large room run through a DI box and a large PA AND a small amp. Both with different cables.

Is this an input jack problem? Battery problem? How do I proceed?

Any insight at all from the incredible wealth of knowledge available on this forum would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all,

Michael

Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:16 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: ACTV-2 Distorting
Hi,

If I remember correctly, EMG pickups will produce more hiss by the time the battery level is low. After that, some clipping will occur when playing loud notes. I don't know what happens after that... Replacing the battery would be the first step, I think. And after that I'd try what happens if you run it in stereo mode, and what happens if you try another amp. Maybe the problem is in the amp instead of the Stick??
The electronics in EMG pickups are pretty simple (for the nerds: see https://www.electrosmash.com/emg81 ), so the chance that it's preamp breaks down is pretty small.

Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:49 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

jaap wrote:
Hi,

If I remember correctly, EMG pickups will produce more hiss by the time the battery level is low. After that, some clipping will occur when playing loud notes. I don't know what happens after that...

Well after that, nothing else until you replace the battery [emoji6]

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:25 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
jaap wrote:
Hi,

If I remember correctly, EMG pickups will produce more hiss by the time the battery level is low. After that, some clipping will occur when playing loud notes. I don't know what happens after that... Replacing the battery would be the first step, I think. And after that I'd try what happens if you run it in stereo mode, and what happens if you try another amp. Maybe the problem is in the amp instead of the Stick??
The electronics in EMG pickups are pretty simple (for the nerds: see https://www.electrosmash.com/emg81 ), so the chance that it's preamp breaks down is pretty small.

Alright. Then I will change the battery.

It happened both on the House PA AND a small amp backstage, so I’m pretty confident it’s the Stick.

Thank you for the quick reply.

Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:35 am
OK! I was able to reproduce this at home with my powered PA. I tried in stereo and mono with three different cables (Y cable from SE, Y cable from Radio Shack, and a 1/4" guitar cable). It just freaked out and continued until I turned the sound off. That's why I didn't think about the battery.

I changed the battery and now everything seems to be working fine.

Second issue:

The input jack on my Stick is crackling like the contact isn't secure. Is there a quick fix for that?

Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:42 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Weak battery is always the culprit.
Glad you fixed that issue

Steve A

Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:07 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Lee Vatip wrote:
Weak battery is always the culprit.
Glad you fixed that issue

Steve A

I’m also glad that I know now where to start the next time it happens.

Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:58 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Yeah, anytime something amiss with an active p.u. ALWAYS change the battery.

Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:07 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Also, NEVER EVER let your stereo cord connected to the ACTV2 pickup when you are not playing. This will suck your battery dry in no time. To remember when I have changed my battery, I stick a label on the back of the pickup where I write down the date of the change. Same trick for the strings.

Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:24 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Olivier wrote:
Also, NEVER EVER let your stereo cord connected to the ACTV2 pickup when you are not playing. This will suck your battery dry in no time. To remember when I have changed my battery, I stick a label on the back of the pickup where I write down the date of the change. Same trick for the strings.

Smart!

Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:30 am