It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:25 pm

Heavy gauge strings on the Railboard? 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Heavy gauge strings on the Railboard?
I'm curious about heavy gauge strings on the railboard. Anyone using them?

I'm also considering dropping down to medium gauge, with a new Railboard, but I really feel that I'll be missing out on that articulation from string 8 -9 esp, (ten string). I just love that high bass response in that gauge.

Thoughts.

https://www.facebook.com/stickradmusic/
https://www.facebook.com/southernstickevents/

Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:08 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Post Re: Heavy gauge strings on the Railboard?
Stickrad wrote:
I'm curious about heavy gauge strings on the railboard. Anyone using them?

I'm also considering dropping down to medium gauge, with a new Railboard, but I really feel that I'll be missing out on that articulation from string 8 -9 esp, (ten string). I just love that high bass response in that gauge.

Thoughts.

Hmm, interesting...
What tuning are you using?
I'm using the classic ten string tuning and I noticed a low-end loss when I move from string 8 to 9. I assumed my amp's low-end setting needed an adjustment and planned on addressing that issue this weekend.

Have you noticed the same thing or are you worried you will notice the same thing?

Thanks,
Cheers
Harry

Shiny Railboard D'Oro #6978
Medium gauge strings
Black tuners and linear inlays

Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:22 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I no longer have a railboard, but when the 12-string rail board becomes available, I’m ordering it with the heavy gauge strings. I noticed that the heavy gauge strings stay in tune much longer than medium gauge. Bass strings in heavy gauge sound “meaty” and I like that

Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:20 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Hi Gents.

Markuzz , I'm definitely a fan of the meaty sound of heavy strings. 12 is appealing but the closer string spacing has always been a concern for me. Still, I bet it will be amazing when it comes out.

lminor7, hey mart. Going from7 up to 8-9 string is definitely a step "up" in timbre towards a less dense bass sound, but I've always been happy with that. For me it's 5-6 strings I'm concerned with regarding medium strings. I've recently acquired my dream rig which is a Bose L1 mark 2 with B2 sub and tone match mixer, so absolutely no lack of bass, or anything there. Sorry, showing off , I know.

As far as your own needs are with bass, I'm not sure with whether a SB 8, esp in railboard, might be a solution. I'm not that clear on SB 8 string gauges, the website has it laid out and you could easily get a comparison. You should really check out dual bass reciprocal as a string set up, that's outstanding in the low end. You got me thinking about that again.. :lol:

Do you think I'm on the money regarding strings verses your amp set up? Anyone else had experience with this?

https://www.facebook.com/stickradmusic/
https://www.facebook.com/southernstickevents/

Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:24 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery