It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:17 am

from straight to angled belthook pedestal 

Post from straight to angled belthook pedestal
After reading favorable comments about straight belthook pedestals, I ordered my Railboard with both straight and angled pedestals. I'm a big proponent of keeping wrists straight, so I've been playing with the straight pedestal since the Railboard arrived last spring.

I've changed my mind, and I'm switching to the normal angled pedestal. No doubt the straight pedestal is fine for some players, but it's not for me.

Usually I play sitting down, with the belthook on an oak dowel across my thighs. I found myself regularly tilting the dowel at roughly the same as what the angled pedestal offered to begin with.

Standing up, with the belthook on an actual belt (I use a second belt thanks to a tip on this forum), the straight pedestal resulted in an unplayable angle. With more practice time and the discipline to maintain a straight seated position, I'm sure I could get accustomed to it. But I have neither, so standing with the Railboard and straight pedestal was a fail for me.

With the angled pedestal, playing is more comfortable both seated and (especially) standing. So SE's default design turned out to the best choice, at least for me. How about you?

(The angled pedestal came without the wooden base that is glued to the straight pedestal I received, so I've made my own base. I'm not yet satisfied with the result, but that will be the topic of a separate post.)

Railboard #6965

Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:32 pm