It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:51 am

String gauges for 5ths on Alto and 10 String 

Post String gauges for 5ths on Alto and 10 String
Hi fellow Stickists!

I'm very happy to be back reading this forum after being away for some time.

I have perhaps a slightly offbeat question, but I'm hoping that there's sufficient expertise here that I can at least get a better notion than I currently have:

I'm looking to explore alternative tunings for both my Alto and 10-string sticks.

My specific question is: what gauges (if any) might allow *6* successive strings to be tuned (ascending) in 5ths? What would be the highest recommended pitch for the highest-pitched string?

If 6 ascending 5ths isn't possible/recommended, what might the corresponding recommended gauges/tuning be for 5 strings?

FWIW, my usual preference for both instruments is light gauge.

TIA,

Jerry.

Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:20 am

Post Re: String gauges for 5ths on Alto and 10 String
OK, I've done a bit more digging and reverse-engineered the following (from a response by Emmett to an old email I sent him) with respect to pitches of melody strings:

A. Because of bass scale string tension, the highest pitch on the 10 string stick is D (maybe Eb at most).

B. The corresponding highest pitch on the Alto is G.

Unless someone more knowledgeable than me says otherwise, I'm going to assume that it's meaningful (in terms of string tension) to tune melody strings 2 through 5 down from there in 4ths (i.e. so that they ascend in 5ths), and order strings from SE accordingly.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:33 pm