It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:42 am

I HEAR AN ALTO STICK CALLING ME 
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post I HEAR AN ALTO STICK CALLING ME
I be always been intrigued by the alto stick. When I start obsessing it's time to give in. Questions are as follows.? How many other people have one? I know a few guys Bruce and Glenn What tuning? I think I like Maple but not sure what colour Linear markers. Are medium gauge goood for alto? Anyone know any alto YouTube videos?

Maple SG12 #6914 Classic Tuning
Website robgellner.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChuob7 ... bmRsfgswJQ

Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:45 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: I HEAR AN ALTO STICK CALLING ME
Woohoo!!!

(I have nothing else to add but my equal curiosity and encouragement. Go get 'em, Rob! An alto...)

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:49 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I've just acquired an Alto, tarrara with an active pickup, and after Emmett's magical fix up and set-up it sounds most sweet. I think it wants light gauge strings. Using Bob Culbertson's expanded MR tuning. Greg Howard also has a tuning option listed on the site. I'm just beginning to orient to the tuning compared to the full length sticks. Really like playing it. Jump in!

Harry

Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:42 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

For inspiration you can start with this one.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:50 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I'm pretty interested in an SG12 still... I can't hear the Alto, but I can kind of hear an SG... :D

Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:53 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Ive watched the Japhlet Video a lot. Its so well done. Thanks Captain

If I was a guitar guy I might like the SG12. So many choices Scott.

Harry Was your original stick MR?

Stephen I Have to catch up to you. I think you set a record for getting the most sticks in the shortest time.

Was thinking it would be cool if Stick Enterprise could do Maple leafs in Red instead of inlay dots but Not sure if they do that sort of thing. Whats more Canadian than Maple Trees and Maple leafs. They could use Maple syrup as a wood finish. ;)

Maple SG12 #6914 Classic Tuning
Website robgellner.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChuob7 ... bmRsfgswJQ

Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:03 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I have an SG12. Not sure what tuning you’re using now. For me, my Grand is Classic with high bass 4th and so is my SG. It’s actually not too difficult to keep track of it that way, my SG is basically just a 5th higher than my Grand. (edit) Looking at the Alto tunings, it looks like they're all somewhat different.

As far as gauges, when I asked about getting mediums (the instrument came with lights), Emmett advised against it, at least in the melody side. I currently have a mixed medium bass/light melody, I’m happy with it. (I run mediums on my Grand and 10-string.)

Maple leaf inlays sounds pretty awesome! Steve Adelson has a Stick with custom inlays, a bit of searching found this: http://www.sharkinlay.com/solarstick.htm

Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:21 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hey Rob, if it calls it calls! Go for it! :)

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:38 pm

Jayesskerr wrote:
I'm pretty interested in an SG12 still... I can't hear the Alto, but I can kind of hear an SG... :D

Yeah. I think I'd rather an SG over an Alto as well. But I'd love to take either for a spin. Always hard to judge without trying yourself.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:14 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I'm in standard tuning , like the other sticks. It has a PSAV 4 and is laminated Bamboo. That allows a wide enough range of sounds, I barely scratch the surface with the range of possibilities.

I actually got it because of its size and I travel lots , so its was a practicality issue for me, I like the compact size though, I move around quite a bit playing and being compact facilitates that. Love the big sticks though, they are different beasts I have no favourite. strings are medium , I bend them lots without bother and I have to say its pretty stable in tuning though the extreme changes in Singapore from Air con to outdoor heat , shifted it a little as would be expected. I don't get bogged down in finer technical details these days , the complete opposite to my studio days , I just want to play them, and I have plenty of other distractions.
Here's one example below, not too sophisticated production wise, there are some others on my Youtube page. To me its just the same as the other Sticks I have without the extended bottom end more or less, changing instruments however does involve quite different hand stretches , but thats just practice. 10 Strings or 12 , sure more scope with 12 , but I've hardly exhausted the scope of either thats for sure, so I dont worry about it that much. :D Jan Laurenz has done some nice stuff on an Alto , Like all his stuff, can be found on Youtube. Worth a look.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:55 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery