It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:40 pm

SG-12 tap viscosity, I mean velocity, question 
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post SG-12 tap viscosity, I mean velocity, question
Howdy fellas. I guess I haven't really been around in a while, other than to lurk--man that sounds creepy. Anyway, I have got a question.

I have been playing my SG-12 for the first time in about a year (long story). It is equipped with a "stickup". And the strings have had a birthday, though they haven't been played much. The question is: Does anyone notice that one needs to tap the strings with more force than one of the full scale Sticks? That has been my experience today.

Thanks beforehand for any replies.

Mike

Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:14 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: SG-12 tap viscosity, I mean velocity, question
Hi Mike,

my experience has been the contrary: My SG-12 seems to play easier than my full scale 10-string. But then again, my SG-12 is much newer and therefore may be closer to Emmett's original setup than my 10-string.

All the best,
Johannes

https://sproingg.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/jenko-nashorn

Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:36 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hi Mike,

You didn't say whether the truss needed adjusting. I suspect this is probably the case after sitting for a year... ;)

Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:16 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Hmmmn, I have no idea about the velocity/viscosity but I am thinking that I would love an SG12 haha

Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:09 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Not sure if it's just the shorter scale or the string tension - the SG12 certainly feels different, but I wouldn't say it needs more force to play. It's actually a lot easier to throw it sharp if you overdo it.

Does your other Stick have a Stickup? Maybe you're noticing a difference in general volume going through the same setup using a different pickup?

Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:11 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

greg wrote:
Hi Mike,

You didn't say whether the truss needed adjusting. I suspect this is probably the case after sitting for a year... ;)

Thanks, Greg. I gave it a tweak.

Claire wrote:
Does your other Stick have a Stickup? Maybe you're noticing a difference in general volume going through the same setup using a different pickup?

Thank you for your reply, Claire. The two Sticks I am more familiar with playing have ACTV-2 and PASV-4 pick ups in them (the latter sends the hottest signal). I believe you have given me the answer I was looking for. And I don't want to discount the part you wrote about how different each instrument feels, but I would hope that my own touch would adapt to make up for the change after a while. So...now, what would be the next logical step? Should I apply a stronger signal after the "stickup" and before the amp, or just turn the amp up a bit? Not that I am expecting that there is a right or wrong answer. Ok, I am expecting that, but so far, nothing has been that easy.

Thanks again for the input to all who have replied. We'll get it figured out one of these days, I s'pose.

Mike

Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:08 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery