It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:13 am

On the Railboard - Textured or Smooth Fret Board ? 

Post On the Railboard - Textured or Smooth Fret Board ?
Hi,

Would a Railboard owner or person who knows more than I do about this subject please help with your opinion :?:

I still need ten strings instead of the twelve I now have. I'm wondering how much, and what kind of differences there are between the original textured fretboard finish and the newer "zirconium-based Ion propulsion plasma coating" which is the only kind of railboard I ever played.

The only issue I am aware of is the residue left on some frets by the strings themselves. Would you please opine on what it's like playing one kind compared to the other? I appreciate your input very much, guys and gals.

Thanks and Cheers!
:) Harry :)

#6313 Grand Stick, rosewood, classic tuning,
PASV-4, smoky gray Hipshot tuners,
turquoise linear inlays

Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:47 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: On the Railboard - Textured or Smooth Fret Board ?
Hi Harry, not of much help in the comparison part but this much I can tell you: I have a railboard with the original texture for close to two and a half years now. Play it everyday, most of them from 8 to 12 hours a day and I never noticed any residue from the strings themselves. Then again, due to the high price I end up paying for them after all the taxes and customs (a single set goes for about $150) I clean them up at every small break. So I wouldn't think that will be much of an issue.
If I didn't know better I would say that the textured one might be more prone to get dirty, from finger grease or sweat or whatever, but that's not the case either, looks and feels perfect, just like the day it arrived.
Hope that helps.
Cheers
Rodrigo

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:10 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hi Harry,

maybe I can help. I have a 'first generation' Railboard and the texture of the
playing surface is much different than that of the current instruments. I have played
some of the newer ones and was surprised that the new texture was incorporated
at the exclusion of the other. It is true that the original boards have a roughness
that some players could find to be too rough in the sense that when you use a vibrato
the effect can be a little too effective or too hot, but I have always liked it, you can get a
bowed or almost ebow like sound and I have found it to be very useful making transitions,
to use the hot vibrato while the other hand finds a new chord or fret position.

As far as strings grinding down on the surface of the Railboard I have never seen it and
like Rodrigo I try to get as much life out of my strings as I can.

To sum up the earlier Railboards are different as far as the difference of the actual playing surface but really it is a matter of taste.

If Emmett has an older one or still can make those I think you would be very happy with it. But the new ones are just as amazing. Also consider that the Railboard is
almost as wide as a Grand so really what you get with that instrument is a 10 string grand;
wider string spacing equals more room for your fingers. Another plus is the 'Raised Matched
Recipricol' tuning.

Hey Rodrigo, now we know your secret, just practice 8 to 12 hours a day 8-).

I am curious do you use medium gage strings? Mine are light gage and sometimes
seem a little loose. Thanks.

jRj
*j*
.~

http://jrjwhatifthepaintingshadsongs.tumblr.com/

Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:15 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Heavy gauge on the railboard. Medium on the grand but I'll probably change them to heavy next time too... it will depend on the sound once the stickup arrives . ;)

All Links:

Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:46 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Jeez I didn't notice any residue on my railboard (same as Rodrigo's, really...) I play my Grand a lot more than the railboard, but still it gets played... and no residue. Maybe it's a Northern Canada thing? hahaha

Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:49 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Jayesskerr wrote:
Jeez I didn't notice any residue on my railboard (same as Rodrigo's, really...) I play my Grand a lot more than the railboard, but still it gets played... and no residue. Maybe it's a Northern Canada thing? hahaha
Ha! Now we know where Nothern Canada meets Southern Europe ;)

All Links:

Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:52 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

bachdois wrote:
Hi Harry, not of much help in the comparison part but this much I can tell you: I have a railboard with the original texture for close to two and a half years now. Play it everyday, most of them from 8 to 12 hours a day and I never noticed any residue from the strings themselves. Then again, due to the high price I end up paying for them after all the taxes and customs (a single set goes for about $150) I clean them up at every small break. So I wouldn't think that will be much of an issue.
If I didn't know better I would say that the textured one might be more prone to get dirty, from finger grease or sweat or whatever, but that's not the case either, looks and feels perfect, just like the day it arrived.
Hope that helps.
Cheers
Rodrigo

Wow Rodrigo, that's some heavy hours! Well your hours of practice really show!

Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:04 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Quote:
(a single set goes for about $150)

Really, a single 10 strings set costs 150$ with all taxes included? Wow, Portugal is no more in EU or what? :lol:

Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:27 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

grozoeil wrote:
Quote:
(a single set goes for about $150)

Really, a single 10 strings set costs 150$ with all taxes included? Wow, Portugal is no more in EU or what? :lol:
not to highjack the thread but yep, that's how much I end up paying for them each time. Plus the waiting period: this last order I have, a custom stickup that fits into my grand is still there along with a set a strings after more than a month: no telling when they'll release it. It sucks! :(

All Links:

Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:24 am

Hey Guys,
I want to thank you for the information. I'm finding it helpful and calming :-)

I'm thinking of buying a railboard that's posted in the classifieds here. It's beautiful, but has the textured surface. It seems the residue spoken about at the recent Chapman Stick workshop in Michigan is less of an issue than I originally thought.

Still unsure if I'll buy it but I'm less concerned about this particular issue.
If anyone wants to add more to this thread, I can use all the info I can get!

$150.00 for a set of strings is unconscionable! Should be considered an international incident :o

Thanks again and Cheers
;) Harry ;)
<-> ¿ <o>

#6313 Grand Stick, rosewood, classic tuning,
PASV-4, smoky gray Hipshot tuners,
turquoise linear inlays

Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:41 am