It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:31 pm

I Need Ten Strings – Railboard or Wood? 

Post I Need Ten Strings – Railboard or Wood?
Hi Folks,

For all you owners of ten string Chapman Stick instruments, I am not totally sure which stick I should go for. I was introduced to ten stringed instruments at Interlochen. The Railboard felt great, and so did the wooden ten string. Can you guys post some of your opinions on the pluses and minuses for each of those two instruments?

I’m still floating on air after that marvelous week at Interlochen. Thanks to Glenn, Greg, Bob, and everyone who made the event happen. It was a genuine pleasure meeting and hanging with you all. You were generous with your time, your instruments, your knowledge, etc. The campus and accommodations were unique and were conducive to musing on music… and I really needed that pleasant week-long diversion from working life in the big city. In NYC you don’t get a soft ice cream cone for a dollar, in my neighborhood you get one for five dollars from some guy in a Mister Softee knock-off truck.

I learned many things during that week. For instance, I’m not a very good stick player; something I suspected for a while. But – and this is a big BuTT… When I played that black Railboard with the gold inlay, my fingers F-l-e-w around the fretboard. When I played a wooden ten string I had a similar experience. I felt like a musician again~ Twelve strings are spaced too closely together for my wide fingers, and when I started to play a ten stringed instrument, for the first time I thought “Whoa! I can become a good stick player on this instrument with practice.” That in itself made the trip worthwhile.

I own a beautiful three-year-old rosewood grand stick with turquoise linear inlays, and it sounds gorgeous, but for the fact that I keep tapping the wrong strings while travelling round the fretboard. I’ll hate to trade it in but I will do it in a minute. Any advice, piercing insights, or even cogent thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks and Cheers!
:D Harry ;)
<-> ¿ <0>

Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:42 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: I Need Ten Strings – Railboard or Wood?
Hi Harry, I suppose since you tried both of them and loved them both, go after the sound. The railboard has a unique pickup developed just for it. On a wooden stick you can find 3 other options. Greg made a comparison video of all three of them and has a bunch of videos with the railboard so that might be a good place to start... Another thing you might want to take into consideration is the action: the railboard has the lowest action ever. On the other hand, the beveled edge on wood sticks provides a good resting spot for the thumb thus allowing the fingers to curve better towards the strings... Either way, I would make my decision based on what sound am I looking after. For the rest, you'll just adapt easily. Hope that helps. Cheers Rodrigo

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:03 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

The nice thing is that you're not really going to go wrong whatever you decide. :-)

With that in mind, even given the lower action potential, at this point I'm perfectly content with a wood/bamboo model. Reasons are weight, pickups (I like a simple pedal board, and a RB really ought to have phantom power), and fret contrast.

Cosmetically it's pretty close. I probably have a preference for the organic look, though it's very slight...there are just so many cool Railboard finishes to choose from, and the inlay options are pretty fab also.

Bamboo Grand #7363 MR ACTV2, Tarara Grand #5677 MR PASV4
Tap In Time Podcast: tapintime.podbean.com/

Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:36 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hi Harry,

The Railboard has a little more space between the strings, and judging by what I could see of your playing experience at Interlochen, that extra space will serve you well, especially the extra space between the string groups.

As far as your playing goes, you have really good instincts, and you know more than you think you know.

Hope that helps! A pleasure to hang out with you.

Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:59 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Love my railboard

Maple SG12 #6914 Classic Tuning
Website robgellner.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChuob7 ... bmRsfgswJQ

Last edited by Jzzb8ovn on Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:52 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I own a beautiful three-year-old rosewood grand stick with turquoise linear inlays, and it sounds gorgeous, but for the fact that I keep tapping the wrong strings while travelling round the fretboard. I’ll hate to trade it in but I will do it in a minute. Any advice, piercing insights, or even cogent thoughts would be welcome.

Never trade your stick. There is only a wrong note if you don't know how to use that note, come back from the clam. Use that clam. If you hit a wrong note, use that note, and figure out why you think it is wrong. You would be surprised at what can be created with wrong notes. Wrong notes are bridges. Find another note to add to that wrong note and make it work. There are a lot of fingers involved.

RoknRol

Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:04 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Have you considered a Ten String Grand?

Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:31 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Love my railboard

Maple SG12 #6914 Classic Tuning
Website robgellner.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChuob7 ... bmRsfgswJQ

Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:22 am