It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:50 pm

Lowest notes on bass side not ringing out.... 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Lowest notes on bass side not ringing out....
They have always been a bit quieter, and it's always kind of bugged me. In particular, my Low 'E' on my low 'E' bass string (I'm tuned in mirrored 4ths) on my grand doesn't want to sound out too much; any ideas? It is the same in pretty much every tuning, just curious if there's a setup idea I haven't tried... I really need that Low 'E' hahaha

Now this isn't an issue on my Railboard, each and every note rings out clear as a bell. It's on the Grand...

Thanks, dudes.

Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:24 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Lowest notes on bass side not ringing out....
Jayesskerr wrote:
They have always been a bit quieter, and it's always kind of bugged me. In particular, my Low 'E' on my low 'E' bass string (I'm tuned in mirrored 4ths) on my grand doesn't want to sound out too much; any ideas? It is the same in pretty much every tuning, just curious if there's a setup idea I haven't tried... I really need that Low 'E' hahaha

Now this isn't an issue on my Railboard, each and every note rings out clear as a bell. It's on the Grand...

Thanks, dudes.
Sounds to me like you could benefit from raising that side of the nut just a skoch. because the distance from the nut to the X fret is not as much as it is on the Railboard, this can have a dramatic effect on the tone of the lowest notes on each string.

Also, using more hand movement to support finger movement will give you more control and power over those notes, making them sound more like the notes at fret 1.

Hope that helps.

Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:05 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

greg wrote:
Jayesskerr wrote:

Thanks, dudes.
Sounds to me like you could benefit from raising that side of the nut just a skoch. because the distance from the nut to the X fret is not as much as it is on the Railboard, this can have a dramatic effect on the tone of the lowest notes on each string.

Also, using more hand movement to support finger movement will give you more control and power over those notes, making them sound more like the notes at fret 1.

Hope that helps.

Hmmn, good ideas; Thanks, Greg. I'll try raising the nut just a touch and hopefully that will do it! This instrument is such a beast, perfect in every way and those wimpy LH bass notesat the 'fuzzed out fret' is literally the only shortcoming.

Y'all call that the "X" fret?

Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:06 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I had this issue and solved it by adjusting my amp's EQ.
Jayesskerr wrote:

Thanks, dudes.

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:46 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Awesome advice Greg, just a slight raising of the nut and we're in Metallicaville.

Thanks, guys!

Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:59 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Jayesskerr wrote:
Awesome advice Greg, just a slight raising of the nut and we're in Metallicaville.

Thanks, guys!
Cheers, Scott,

The Kudos go to Emmett for designing an instrument that can be so easily and effectively adjusted.

If you think about it, a 36" scale Stick with a nicely playable X fret has almost 4" more usable surface for your hands compared to an instrument with a shorter scale and a less usable first tappable fret. ;)

Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:47 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

greg wrote:
Jayesskerr wrote:

Thanks, guys!
Cheers, Scott,

The Kudos go to Emmett for designing an instrument that can be so easily and effectively adjusted.

If you think about it, a 36" scale Stick with a nicely playable X fret has almost 4" more usable surface for your hands compared to an instrument with a shorter scale and a less usable first tappable fret. ;)

Without a doubt, thanks again. There is no shadow of a doubt about the genius of this instrument, and it keeps teaching me new things...

Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:04 pm

Don't forget about the divided truss. A little tweaking at the headstock end can make a difference on those bass notes. I like a little less tension there than on the lower half of the rod.

Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:39 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

john.e wrote:
Don't forget about the divided truss. A little tweaking at the headstock end can make a difference on those bass notes. I like a little less tension there than on the lower half of the rod.

Yep, also good advice, I started with truss adjustments, still couldn't quite get it, the volume of the tapped note on that fret was, like 10% of what it was on every other fret. For me, a slight nit adjustment was the cure...

Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:16 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Jayesskerr wrote:
john.e wrote:

Yep, also good advice, I started with truss adjustments, still couldn't quite get it, the volume of the tapped note on that fret was, like 10% of what it was on every other fret. For me, a slight nit adjustment was the cure...

"NUT" Adjustment is what I meant. Worked like a charm, everything is cool now. Gotta love the Stick... pretty much a simple, direct answer for any physical issue on the instrument.

Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:27 pm