It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:18 am

Really, any tuning? Supremely Deep Matched Reciprocal? 

Post Re: Really, any tuning? Supremely Deep Matched Reciprocal?
After agonizing weeks of research and dreaming, I put RMR on the plum Railboard I got a couple months ago. I'm mainly a five-string bass player, so I was hesitant to give up bass range. But ultimately I went with RMR for two reasons:

* SE specifically recommended it for the Railboard. I've got to think Emmett tried out many tuning variations, and he would up thinking RMR was the best match to the instrument. That doesn't mean it's the only viable tuning, but I wanted to start with a baseline from the expert and then modify as needed.
* In my very limited experience, the instrument--at least with bass strings tuned in fifths--isn't optimized for what I'm used to doing with a bass guitar. Melodic lines are harder, but non-muddy chords are easier. I'd think dropping to low A would benefit the former but actually steal range from the latter.

I'd focus on opinions specifically from Railboard owners due to the instrument's unique construction. What works well for other models may not be ideal for the Railboard. I'm confident that tunings lower than RMR can sound good, but I don't know how low you can push it.

Please keep us updated on your experience!

Railboard #6965

Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:58 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Re: Really, any tuning? Supremely Deep Matched Reciprocal?
Just as an example of a DMR Graphite Grand 10 Stick used in a band-setting, here's a very rough recording from a recent drummer audition. Apologies for the clipping, I forgot to put the Zoom H2 on low gain and it was only a few metres away from my Berg AE410, hehehe. Was running the Stick through a Roland V-Bass for compression, slight EQ and mild chorus, into a Thunderfunk TB550B head and the Berg.

https://soundcloud.com/evilgus/the-ligh ... 17/s-rOV7E

Cheers,

EG

Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:12 am