It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:30 am

Interesting string setup... 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Interesting string setup...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liH8sWg-PiQ

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:20 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Re: Interesting string setup...
Seems to work for him. All the different possibilities have their pros and cons. The guys who play like this and there are several good ones, I think are trying for something more analogous to a guitar form to shorten their learning curve and I can see the temptation. Like the guitar players who tune a mandolin in 4ths instead of 5ths, they are really short changing themselves in the long run. But hey they're playing music. As odd as the Stick standard crossed setup with inside out 5ths etc seems to a newcomer, it exists for a bunch of good reasons. I'm sure Emmett tried 'em all before settling on and mastering the now standard setup. That's why he's a genius and I'm not. I never would have thought of that.

Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:04 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Pretty good, sounded a bit out of tune to my ears, though. Tuck Andress did/does a fingerstyle version of this tune on guitar that is basically a masterpiece...

I am of the opinion that people should tune whatever instrument they have in whatever way works for them so that they can play music as soon as humanly possible. Some of us don't have another 30 years to spend getting familiar with an instrument therefore if a specialized tuning is conducive to making music a little sooner then go for it!... So yeah, in my humble opinion, not shortchanging at all, still gotta play the same 12 notes as everyone else... Still gotta practice...

Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:11 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Backwards? Perhaps he is the man in the mirror?
Good groove
Sounds like a version of Tuck Andress' solo guitar arrangement

Steve A

Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:09 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

I agree that folks should try / experiment with whatever they feel helps them the most.

Years ago, I tried reversing the standard Stick tuning and put ascending 5ths on my melody side and ascending 4ths on the bass. My reasoning was that having the bass side in fourths would help me as I started out as a bass player and I had also gone on a GuitarCraft seminar at one point, so I like the Crafty tuning of guitar in 5ths. Flipping each side kept the same general relationship of hand motion just as regular Stick tuning does.

However, I eventually came back to normal tuning for all the reasons that went into Emmett's original concept: bass in 4ths leads to closer voiced chords which sound muddy and unclear and close voiced chords in melody 5ths were harder to achieve so you sort of ended up having fewer choices on the melody side. So, thru my experimentation, the original wisdom of the instrument was revealed to me.....

I guess that Chapman guy knew what he was doing.... :D

Ancient 10-String Brazilian Ironwood #881

Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:54 am