It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:17 pm

3D printed pickup housing 
Contributor
Contributor

Post 3D printed pickup housing
Hi,

just finished a fun experiment with my padauk Grand Stick, which, until now, was equiped with a DIY wooden pickup housing, containing 2 EMG pickups on the bass side and one on the melody side. First of all, the wooden housing was really ugly, and compared to an ACTV-2 module, the bass pickups where maybe located a bit too far towards the bridge.
A friend of our sons has a good 3D printer that can print up to 20x20cm, and I needed to learn a new 3D CAD program and needed a practise subject... nice combination.
The result is in the pictures below. The housing was printed with 100% fill (that is, no air inside), for maximum strength. It's very strong indeed, as if it were milled out of a solid piece of plastic. The material is PETG. The pickups are between ribs, so that they are kept nice and straight. On the bass side, the housing is as high as the full thickness of the Stick body, which gives room for the 9V battery and en pickup selector switch and a stereo/mono switch.
Here's a sound sample of the module:
http://www.tracktatie.nl/Stick_EMG_3D_print_housing.mp3
First a bass scale, then a small piece of music, both played 3 times. First with neck pickup, then both pickups, then bridge pickup.
Quite happy with the result, nice to have 3 options for the bass side, with the sweetness of the EMG's. Kind of a mix between an ACTV-2 and PASV-4 module.
Attachment:
Stick 3D print housing 3.jpg

Attachment:
Stick 3D print housing 2.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri May 26, 2017 1:21 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: 3D printed pickup housing
Very nice Jaap! You know I appreciate this :)
I've received 2x EMGs to date - my ACTV4 isn't far away I hope...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

=//====> #1817 10-string padauk/paua ACTV2 EMG flaps+rails
Deep Baritone Melody inner 10 strings of Matched Reciprocal 12
Stand-up Stick Stand (SUSS) - easy DIY project

Fri May 26, 2017 2:51 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Super. I was thinking about 3D printing, too.

What type of pickup did you use under the bridge? EMG SA? Did you have to routing cavity under the module? The new EMG quick connect style pickup are a bit higher than older. In my XG there was no place for them. I had to use old type in my project where I used the aluminum frame and white dibond on the front and back.

I like EMG in middle and bridge position more than neck.

jaap wrote:
Hi,

just finished a fun experiment with my padauk Grand Stick, which, until now, was equiped with a DIY wooden pickup housing, containing 2 EMG pickups on the bass side and one on the melody side.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri May 26, 2017 4:36 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Wow, impressive piece of milling! I was lucky, the EMG's just fit, with only minimal play. Just enough room for height adjustment. I did solder the wires directly to the terminal, a connector wouldn't have fit.
Yes, the bridge PU is an SA, I ordered an FT, but accidentally got a Strat type pickup... Sounds ok in the bridge position.

Fri May 26, 2017 5:59 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

A pair or EMG on each side would be so killer. Thanks for sharing, it's great work.

Sat May 27, 2017 8:28 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, that would certainly make it even more versatile... however, the melody side seems to have a very pleasant "general purpose" tone, whereas I noticed that on the bass strings, I wanted to have the choice between a round bass tone for a bass-player-in-a-band-situation and the more acoustic-sounding neck-pickup-only sound.
So, for now, 3 PU's is ok for me :-)

Sat May 27, 2017 8:40 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

I agree. I tested different solutions, but on the violin side the neck FT pickup is all I need. As long as you can't play on Stickup fake ACTV-3 rules !!!

jaap wrote:
Yes, that would certainly make it even more versatile... however, the melody side seems to have a very pleasant "general purpose" tone, whereas I noticed that on the bass strings, I wanted to have the choice between a round bass tone for a bass-player-in-a-band-situation and the more acoustic-sounding neck-pickup-only sound.
So, for now, 3 PU's is ok for me :-)

10-String Deep Baritone Melody Padouk Stick #351 with XXL MIDI & Stickup
12-String Matched Reciprocal XG Grand Stick #5428 with dual MIDI & PASV-4
10-String Deep (-3 semitones) Standard Tarara Alto Stick #5689 with MIDI & Stickup

Sat May 27, 2017 4:33 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

jaap wrote:
Here's a sound sample of the module:

http://www.tracktatie.nl/Stick_EMG_3D_print_housing.mp3

First a bass scale, then a small piece of music, both played 3 times. First with neck pickup, then both pickups, then bridge pickup.

Just listened to this - it sounds really, really nice. A great example of that crystalline tone from the EMGs. They sound like one great big integrated instrument. Excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

=//====> #1817 10-string padauk/paua ACTV2 EMG flaps+rails
Deep Baritone Melody inner 10 strings of Matched Reciprocal 12
Stand-up Stick Stand (SUSS) - easy DIY project

Mon May 29, 2017 5:58 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

@jaap - Any chance you could share the 3d model file?

Thanks

Mon May 29, 2017 7:11 am
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I can share the CAD model, either as STEP (or similar) or as STL.
But I want to fix 2 little things first... Only while mounting it, I discovered that the 2 mounting holes were appr. 8 mm off. I had to drill 2 new holes in the Stick in order to fit it.
Besides that, I needed to enlarge the cable guide holes, there were more wires than I had calculated.
Keep an eye on this thread :-)

Mon May 29, 2017 1:22 pm