#2001,10 strings Shedua, MR tuning
Stickup, Fretrails
Manufactured March 2002

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqqNYL ... JdyVB5aBZQ

Fri May 12, 2017 2:18 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: stick with tremolo bar
I say "Yay". One of these days I'm gonna figure out a way to put one on my "already heavily modified" Ironwood. Maybe work it with my leg...

Fri May 12, 2017 9:04 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

AnDroiD wrote:
I say "Yay". One of these days I'm gonna figure out a way to put one on my "already heavily modified" Ironwood. Maybe work it with my leg...

What about a B Bender type idea? Could be cool...

Fri May 12, 2017 10:48 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

The great thing about the bar is bending down, even while string-bending up, Hendrix style. The Stick, however, needs stability. The more "mushy" the components, the harder to set up and maintain. That's why each "SlideBlock" holding a saddle screw is firmly fastened down onto a rigid bridge plate - ironclad.

Dive-bombing is a striking effect but at the sacrifice of pitch definition and sustain on Stick. Also, the right hand is already busy executing notes and chords.

OK, I could build a knee bar of some kind to act as the third hand, but if it acted at the bridge end, there'd still be instability. At the nut end, well, maybe Captain of the Strings has some more thoughts.

Steel guitar bends selected strings up and down via the pedals, mostly dealing in half and whole steps each way. Hendrix was doing wholesale slacking of all strings, a very different musical effect.

You can get carried away with a particular effect, or advantage, or colorful tuning, and not realize what all you're giving up. One of my first tapper prototypes was a hard rubbery plastic beam. I wanted the dive-bomber effect right there on the board itself. It was an extremely mushy affair.

Fri May 12, 2017 12:32 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Me personally, I am quite happy with the Stick just the way it is. So much to learn and explore...

Fri May 12, 2017 6:58 pm

BSharp wrote:
The great thing about the bar is bending down, even while string-bending up, Hendrix style. The Stick, however, needs stability. The more "mushy" the components, the harder to set up and maintain. That's why each "SlideBlock" holding a saddle screw is firmly fastened down onto a rigid bridge plate - ironclad.

Dive-bombing is a striking effect but at the sacrifice of pitch definition and sustain on Stick. Also, the right hand is already busy executing notes and chords.

OK, I could build a knee bar of some kind to act as the third hand, but if it acted at the bridge end, there'd still be instability. At the nut end, well, maybe Captain of the Strings has some more thoughts.

Steel guitar bends selected strings up and down via the pedals, mostly dealing in half and whole steps each way. Hendrix was doing wholesale slacking of all strings, a very different musical effect.

You can get carried away with a particular effect, or advantage, or colorful tuning, and not realize what all you're giving up. One of my first tapper prototypes was a hard rubbery plastic beam. I wanted the dive-bomber effect right there on the board itself. It was an extremely mushy affair.

the biggest problem i forsee on a Stick, besides the discouragement of open strings, is the string tension itself: much more slack than a standard guitar (Standard or Matched Reciprocol tunings as benchmarks for this post)....this is going to give a Stick a much shallower range-of-effect than on a guitar....dive bombs should be much shallower

Sat May 13, 2017 8:38 pm

Tremolo isn't applicable to my style, and the associated tuning problems drive me nuts. I've owned guitars with tremolos but they're long gone. I still have a Squier Bass VI with tremolo, and among all that instrument's awkward technical features, it's the tremolo that I find the most frustrating (even with the Staytrem upgrades).

I'm sure there are folks out there who could do creative, beautiful things with a tremolo-enabled Stick. But for my own use I'm a hard "no."

Railboard #6965

Sun May 14, 2017 10:28 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I thought about a Bowden-cable-pulled (ala bicycle brakes) tremolo half-bridge contraption for the melody side strings that could be controlled with a pedal (I mean literally a pedal, a mechanical foot-pressed lever), but figured that the related hassle is not worth the limited effect you can get on a stick with no open strings and low string tension.

Tue May 16, 2017 6:35 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Thank you for chiming in Emmett you've done the heavy lifting not gonna try it for reasons you've stated.

Tue May 16, 2017 10:00 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

ok this one really does the whammy bar trick for the stick
perfect solution for busy hands !

#7159, Grand Railboard,Plum,
RMR tuning, MIDI melody.
Manufactured Dec. 2018

#2001,10 strings Shedua, MR tuning
Stickup, Fretrails