It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:31 am

For those with a railboard and a grand  
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post For those with a railboard and a grand
I've been thinking about a new stick... To have in case something goes wrong with the one I have, and for tone diversity. One thing for sure: I want one with a stickup.
Now the doubts: what would be easier to switch back and forth against my railboard: ten string grand? 12 string? 10 String? Truth is I don't miss having the extra 2 strings but I guess I would use them if I had them... The 10 string grand seems the appropriate choice dough... any ideas from the guys with more than one? Does one overcome easily the difference in string spacing? The idea really is to switch back and forth between the amazing sound of my railboard and the amazing sound of s stickup.... different sounds for different songs... and since I play mostly with my eyes closed, size matters ;) thanks [emoji120]

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:05 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: For those with a railboard and a grand
Well, I almost ALWAYS play my Grand, but I do love the Rail-board... Then again, I am probably the wrong guy to post about that... I think that the Grand is a different experience maybe? The Rail-board feels zippier for some reason... lol I dunno...

Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:24 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Jayesskerr wrote:
Well, I almost ALWAYS play my Grand, but I do love the Rail-board... Then again, I am probably the wrong guy to post about that... I think that the Grand is a different experience maybe? The Rail-board feels zippier for some reason... lol I dunno...

Thanks Scott. Do you feel much difference with the string spacing? Does it bother you if you change from one to he other?

All Links:

Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:49 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

The rails feel a bit different, as does the neck; the contour in the Railboard is awesome... I wish I had that on the Grand. The bass side/Melody side spacing could be a bit bigger on the grand (A slightly bigger gap would be nice for me...) And visually, I like the contrast of the rails on Wenge; the Railboard rails are almost invisible hahaha

All I can think of, really very minor inconsequential concerns! lol

Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:37 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Jayesskerr wrote:
The rails feel a bit different, as does the neck; the contour in the Railboard is awesome... I wish I had that on the Grand. The bass side/Melody side spacing could be a bit bigger on the grand (A slightly bigger gap would be nice for me...) And visually, I like the contrast of the rails on Wenge; the Railboard rails are almost invisible hahaha

All I can think of, really very minor inconsequential concerns! lol

Thanks [emoji120] It's exactly the kind of input I was looking for :)
Cheers [emoji482]

All Links:

Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:41 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Not sure I can contribute much there but its definately time for Rodrigo to own a wood Stick :D :D
Speaking of transitions I'll soon be home going from twice a day on the Alto for 35 days to a Grand, thats pretty challenging due to the considerable size difference. I dont think you will have that much trouble, you know what you're doing, tricky part will be choosing how it looks! :o

Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:42 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

As far as fret type and size and string spacing, you'll get used to anything pretty quickly. So I would be more concerned with what you can do with the 2 extra strings. Every time I pick up a 10 string I immediately run out of strings with my right hand and I really miss the 12th string which I have tuned down a whole step. So low to hi: C,G,D,A,E,A on the bass side. That puts some very useful close voiced chord extensions on top of the chord like it might be on a piano - and within reach of just your left hand alone.
I know you can play anything with 10 strings by moving around, using higher positions and 2 hands for chords, etc but the lateral geography of a 12 string is very enticing once you've gotten used to it. But for those overly concerned with 10 vs 12 string spacing, I've heard that the 12 string Railboard whenever it becomes available will have slightly wider string spacing than a hardwood 12 string. I have average size hands and fingers and I have the latest version bamboo 12 string with the new smaller rails and I like the string spacing as it is for several reasons. Among them - one finger double stops are easier, I can get around a little quicker because I don't have quite as far to go moving across the neck and playing in octaves with the right hand are easier. Keep in mind we're talking about thousandths of an inch differences. These things are very subtle and unless you have extremely thick fingers you won't have any issues - especially if you play a lot. Going back and forth between 10 and 12 strings is done all the time by Greg Howard and he manages to play about as well as anybody has ever played the instrument.

Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:09 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hi Rodrigo,

I'm sorry, but the Stickup is not available for the Ten String Grand. Like the SB8, that model only allows the ACTV-2 and PASV-4.

I'd say go for the Grand Stick. You will get used to the spacing quickly enough, and you will love having the extra strings. Since you are adding a lower melody string, it will not affect what you experience as far as the spacing between the string groups goes for your current repertoire.

I'm a huge fan of the high bass 4th on the Grand as well, though you can just try that out by detuning the top string when you get it.

One thing that is very important is not to "flip" the board/inlay contrast. By that I mean, don't get a light-colored wooden Stick with dark inlays if your current instrument is a dark one with light inlays. This is much more disorienting than the string spacing.

I'm a huge fan of wenge, rosewood and paduak myself.

I hope that helps....

Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:43 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post For those with a railboard and a grand
Hi Greg, and both captains ;)
Thanks for all the help.

I kind of thought there wouldn't be a chance to have a stickup on a ten string grand so that settles it. 12 string it is then! The Stickup's sound is definetely what I want to expand the tone possibilities.
One of the issues I have, even with the railboard, is exactly the space between the string groups (specifically if I'm playing with the index finger on the lower melody string and using the lower bass string at the same time) - that extra string on the melody will, if anything, increase the space between the ones I already use, altought the idea of having a lower string on the melody side really is a plus: kind of turns it into a mix of the tuning I use with the whole baritone tuning concept right?
High bass 4th: I was really into that ideia since I first heard about it - didn't need much convincing ;)
@ Greg:
Flipping the contrast: now you've got me! Really? oh... never though of it that way, and I was going for the exact oposite... Damn! I was in love with the Bamboo... :(
Not much of a chance of having a stickup fitted in a new railboard right? ;)
@Captain Strings:
I get what you're saying, i was thinking that the smaler space could make it easier for some things, instead of making it harder ;)
@ Bruce:
I had that much all figured out: I wanted it to look exactly like yours! Most beautiful stick I've ever seen!
Thanks for all the help!

All Links:

Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:29 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Once I began gigging on a regular basis, I developped an arsenal of spare stuff: spare 9V battery for my ACTV2 pickup, spare belt hook, spare shoulder belt, a.s.o. After a year or two, I thought: how playing on without interruption if there's a problem? Well the solution of course is: Have a spare Stick. So I ordered the exact replica of my main gigging 10 string bamboo Stick. Now, I always take it along when the stakes are higher (or the venue farther from home) than my regular irish pub gig.

What's funny about it is the feeling of the instrument - not quite the same. My spare Stick is actually even better ajusted than my regular instrument. But I prefer the latter.

Go figure!

All the best. And if you're in Neuchâtel tonight, check out the Café du Cerf. I'll be playing there. ;)

Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:02 am
Profile My Photo Gallery