It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:35 am

Broken Pickup? 

Post Broken Pickup?
Hey guys,

I have an issue with my Stick. I just got it in the mail today, I ordered it from someone on eBay. The seller listed it as in good working order, however when I got it and plugged it in, only the bass strings can be heard through the amp. I tried adjusting the volume every way possible but no dice.

The only theory I have is whether or not I should be using a stereo cable instead of mono, I have one coming in the mail. Would this sort out my issue or could there be something wrong with the pickup? Would I be able to open it up to look at it myself for anything obviously wrong by just unscrewing it and pulling it apart?

10-string Polycarbonate Stick #1946

Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:21 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Broken Pickup?
Yes you need a stereo cable. I'm in North Haven where are you in CT? I could check your setup for you. Let me know

Brett

Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:27 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

If you are using a normal guitar cable then you will probably only hear one side of the Stick.
The instrument is designed to use a insert cable. You can probably find an insert cable at your local music store. Basically a TRS plug (AKA Stereo plug) split out to two TS Plugs (AKA Mono Plugs) where one is the tip of the TRS plug and the other is the Ring of the TRS plug. I keep a cheap one for emergencies.

I have heard that you can pull out the plug a little big and get both the melody and bass sides to work through one cable. (I only own an NS/Stick so I'm not positive about it...)
Give it a try.

Good Luck!

NS/Stick - Prototype #2
Started 11/24/2012

http://www.GreenElephantStudio.com
Now Selling - MOD DUO, Tech21, Ebtech, KMI, Earasers, IsoAcoustics

Subscribe to the NS/Stick YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/NSSTICK

Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:31 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Just about a minute after posting I stumbled upon a stereo cable with some other wires of mine. Hooked it into the amp, but the cable sucks so it had to be held in the right spot to hear anything out of it. Nothing more annoying! I went ahead and ordered a stereo cable that splits out into two mono cables.

Brett, I live in New Milford, it's a bit far from where you are sadly. I would love to meet up if you're ever in the area though!

Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:14 pm

I just tried pulling out the plug a little bit. I can hear both now, thanks!! It is a bit touchy but if I stand mostly still it sounds good.

Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:18 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Glad to hear it's working.

If you find that you are still having problems after getting the cable, you can email SE to see if they will send you a new jack.

Have Fun!

NS/Stick - Prototype #2
Started 11/24/2012

http://www.GreenElephantStudio.com
Now Selling - MOD DUO, Tech21, Ebtech, KMI, Earasers, IsoAcoustics

Subscribe to the NS/Stick YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/NSSTICK

Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:30 am
Profile My Photo Gallery