It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:07 pm

Your opinion needed-Joining a band 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Your opinion needed-Joining a band
Still haven't met them.some songs I like.
Some less..

#7159, Grand Railboard,Plum,
RMR tuning, MIDI melody.
Manufactured Dec. 2018

#2001,10 strings Shedua, MR tuning
Stickup, Fretrails
Manufactured March 2002

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqqNYL ... JdyVB5aBZQ

Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:24 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

My opinion, (and only my opinion, not that anyone wants it) is that you should totally go for it, dude! You would definitely get to know the instrument in a completely different context, plus it's tons of fun playing/interacting with other people. Even if it doesn't "work out" you will still have made some friends, and they may want to do something in the future...
Again, just an opinion...

Good luck, friend!

Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:35 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Jayesskerr wrote:
My opinion, (and only my opinion, not that anyone wants it) is that you should totally go for it, dude! You would definitely get to know the instrument in a completely different context, plus it's tons of fun playing/interacting with other people. Even if it doesn't "work out" you will still have made some friends, and they may want to do something in the future...
Again, just an opinion...

Good luck, friend!

I'm totally with Scott. Go for it: the experience will be invaluable. Even if it doesn't work out.
It's all about putting yourself on the line! Go and have some fun!!! :)

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:54 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Don't know your skills,guy with the SG is off the chain man.my advice don't let him intimidate you.The energy is very high.chin up .attack.I played with jumpers like this. Hope it works out man.

Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:23 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

I say "go for it", but here is some meager advice:

As a career working bass player, I can tell you my issues (granted, Im a n00b Stick player)

The big issue is drum lock - If you are being a bass player then it is very important to make sure youre locking in phat with the drummer. With this said, I find it better to approach the Stick the way a L. Hand Bass/ R. Hand keyboard player would do it with the understanding that the groove comes first and I can never sacrifice my left (bass) hand in favor of the right for anything

I play in a function/show band -- gtr, bs, keys, drums, fem vox, sax and occasionally we will add more horns...theres a lot going on in my group so I have to really temper what I do with my right hand on the few tunes I play with the Stick as to not step on all the toes that are out there -- In the band, I find myself playing very basic stuff, holding down sustaining chords (many times just chord partials) with the right hand while playing bass with the left -- in my group, a little goes a long way

best of luck to you

Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:11 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Just took a listen to all their stuff this morning Boaz, the bass parts are super easy you could cover that with Stick no problem. I gotta say, their guitar tones are akin to warm dogshit, pretty run of the mill guitar playing too... (I mean that in the nicest possible way)

I bet your playing with this group takes them to the next level...

Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:27 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Encouragement across the board. If you lock w/ the drummer and your personalities are compatible there's no stopping you. STICK with it!

Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:05 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

My advice..
If you like the music and the people, go for it..

But, my thought (and I fully expect to be flamed for this) is go in playing the bass parts. Take on the bass player role, play the bass parts (or close to) that the previous player did. Then as things go along gradually expand your range and take on the voids that 2 guitar players leave.

Remember, they want a bass player, and they are willing to try a bass player that happens to play a stick.

Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:34 pm

Seancasler wrote:
My advice..
If you like the music and the people, go for it..

But, my thought (and I fully expect to be flamed for this) is go in playing the bass parts. Take on the bass player role, play the bass parts (or close to) that the previous player did. Then as things go along gradually expand your range and take on the voids that 2 guitar players leave.

Remember, they want a bass player, and they are willing to try a bass player that happens to play a stick.

no flaming from me: this is pretty much what I was driving at two posts above yours -- you just encapsulated it much better than I did :D

to the OP: One more addition to my above post and i found it to be an important one: For right now, being the bass player includes as many attributes as being the bass player until the day comes that what Im doing on the Stick as both a confident player and the doors Im opening in the band become prevelent and relevent.......What I do in my band, at least for now, is combining output signals to one amp (also one D.I. live) and approaching Stick as a two handed extended-range bass guitar for the time being with the L.hand Bass/Right Hand Comp keyboard approach....Some of this has to do with the fact I have the old Stickup and theres a lot of pickup/output crosstalk...I also suggest using a compressor and, if you have a Stickup , using a processor for Parametric EQ shapingif you have the older Stickup as I do (not needed on later Stick pickups with built-in band shaping, i imagine)

Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:07 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Jayesskerr wrote:
Just took a listen to all their stuff this morning Boaz, the bass parts are super easy you could cover that with Stick no problem. I gotta say, their guitar tones are akin to warm dogshit, pretty run of the mill guitar playing too... (I mean that in the nicest possible way)

I bet your playing with this group takes them to the next level...

Heh. Yeah, what Scott said.

Scott, you have a way with words, brotha!

Kev

-- Mikhail Bakunin

Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:30 pm