It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:38 pm

String "clanking" 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: String "clanking"
Thanks all for the useful info.

Greg, Android, jdt: I did adjust the truss to get everything back to the "very beginning" if you will;, then put the strings on and readjusted the truss until the neck was straight, with string tension. I watched your video Greg at least 10 times now lol! I also downloaded the info on stick.com concerning the divided truss rod and how that is supposed to work separately yet independently, and I really feel like the neck is straight, as all other strings seem NOW to give proper intonation... as do 7 & 8, but they 'clank'.... I just don't know if this is a normal sound.

Greg: They were fretting out in the middle, and there was a hump there. I noticed the bottom nut was tight, and the top nut was loose. I got it right, lost the 'hump', but then had lousy intonation frets 18-24. Got that ok, then lost the frets again 6-8. Back and forth I went, and that was when I decided to take all the strings off (and cleaned, oiled the wood, and squared the neck, new strings) and start all over.

Captain Strings: What you said makes sense as well. It may very well be that I am not hitting the strings cleanly, thus getting that noise. Or that there is some inherent 'clank' to strings 7 & 8, and I am not adept enough to realize that this is the norm.

When I hear others play - on YouTube (Greg, Steve, etc) and live (Skype lessons), I never heard it from any other stick. Quite possibly because the amplified sound was in the forefront.

I guess I don't know what is considered "normal". I'm not having a lot of difficulty playing any of the frets, until I go way down like to 18-24 on the bass strings. I know those areas don't get much play, but it seems to me that I have more space between the strings and the fretboard when I am playing in that area, especially the bass side.

Reystick and Android: I am sorely tempted to do some adjusting, but I am fearful of putting it so wrong that I will cry myself to sleep at night woefully regretting ever messing with Emmett's adjustments!! Drumming for over 50 years, this stringy stuff is a foreign language to my musical senses!
Is there a way to change the string height without getting into too much trouble?

Steve: Thanks for that offer, I may end up skyping to fix if I can't get it right. I'd like to try and figure this out as I am 100% certain that this is what has been holding me back from being a concert stickist. :lol:

12 String Padauk Grand #6693, Classic Tuning, medium strings, GK3 MIDI

Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:26 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Rand, read my post again. What ever you do, write it down so you can get back to where you started. Believe me, I learned that lesson the hard way.

Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:34 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I definitely notice a difference when im wearing the stick as opposed to laying it flat. I guess the pressure of the shoulder strap makes a difference also the belt hook. I try to setup the stick in my most common playing position

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:38 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

AnDroiD wrote:
Rand, read my post again. What ever you do, write it down so you can get back to where you started. Believe me, I learned that lesson the hard way.

Oh yeah, I've learned many a lesson that way lol!

An offer from Steve A - taken, and talked on skype for about 45 minutes, all is well.

It is hard to know the 'abnormal' when you don't know the 'normal'. As I mentioned this is my first and only foray into the world of stringed instruments. I have no history and therefore no background on what or how things should be set up properly.

Steve went over everything with me, and it is actually normal 'clanking. I am hearing the sound of the metal strings on the metal frets. It is only the fatter strings, and apparently this is the norm. I also questioned the height of some strings versus others, and again, it's all normal physics for a 'guitar', or Stick. Stuff I didn't know, never having been there. Also, these are new strings, so there is a more noticeable sound since the strings have more liveliness.

So now I know, setting EQ on an amp (if I had one!) would help some. I am using just a powered 12"QSC PA for playing at home, having never ventured out of the safety of my room at this point. Playing with more volume from the amp, and less 'attack' with my fingers, will also help. Steve had me play softer, and the clank was much less.

The strings DO get higher off the fretboard naturally as you move from nut to bridge... it's the physics of the instrument and what gives each string the right tone at each fret. D'uh, I didn't have that knowledge. Now I do.

Big Thanks to all that ventured into this thread. HUGE thanks to Steve A for imparting his knowledge - once again - to this noob. Or should I say 'boob' lol!

Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:53 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Congrats on getting it ironed out w/ Steve. I've been playing stringed instruments since I was 12, doing everything up to building/rebuilding, tinkering, anything up to fretwork. Trussrods - no problem. UNTIL the Stick. The REVELATION that it could be adjusted IN BOTH DIRECTIONS...GENIUS! The learning curve with the Stick...it's a whole 'nuther animal in every aspect. And thanks again to our Teachers, especially Greg for his thorough, detailed videos on EVERYTHING Stick. He gets paid for lessons, but those vids are done out of LOVE. Steve and Greg and Bob and Gene and etc...the behind-the-scenes stuff these guys do - AMBASSADORS. And a pat on the back and a big hug to all of us on this forum, we help each other out and encourage each other.

Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:56 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

AnDroiD wrote:
And thanks again to our Teachers, especially Greg for his thorough, detailed videos on EVERYTHING Stick. He gets paid for lessons, but those vids are done out of LOVE. Steve and Greg and Bob and Gene and etc...the behind-the-scenes stuff these guys do - AMBASSADORS.

Exactly... well said!

Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:50 am