It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:59 am

Shutting Up 

Post Re: Shutting Up
disclaimer: i didnt read the other thread all the way through -- and this is just a general post aimed at nobody:

Like many of you, internet forums aren't a new concept. I, myself, am a member of many and have even been a Moderator on a few (including Musician's Friend/Harmony Central).

If there is one thing I have learned about the Chapman Stick is that it is, in a great majority of cases, not a person's first instrument -- a high percentage of folks that play it are (or at least claim to be) accomplished players on other instruments. In my short time here, Ive learned that many of you have long backgrounds on bass, guitar, keyboards, brass, and one guy came from a Linnstrument. I consider myself a fairly accomplished electric bass player with a deep background in music theory. The point Im making is, unlike many other instruments, a person that is a n00b on Chapman Stick isnt necessarily a n00b musician, so I think even more respectful care needs to be taken on this forum than a typical forum of a much more popular instrument. However, the disparity comes in the questions, especially from new Stick players like myself or a player with an unorthodox approach -- I may make a post that, to you Stick vets, comes off as a n00b know-nothing-yet post-- this doesnt mean that I dont know anything about music. I recently started a thread about Thumb use-age on the right hand and I was a little surprised that my Stick n00b question got so little responses.

The Chapman Stick is 40+ years old -- as an instrument, it is early in its "dot com" era: Theres a lot of real estate there to explore in any way somebody may seem fit...I respect you veterans' guidance and it is very much appreciated so please respond when n00b Stickists like myself ask questions... but I also respect the explorers that are going about it in their own way, be it technique, tuning, sound/tone, etc ( I can actually say that about any instrument)...The best part about being a new player is that I'm still finding myself and my own voice so I can learn from almost anybody

Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:03 pm