It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:44 pm

... the decision not to make videos/recordings 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post ... the decision not to make videos/recordings
Hey guys,

I was reading the thread on alternate tunings, and seeing it flame on:

Mad Monk was saying on the thread that he is not going to release a video of his classically-based work.

I just want to say one thing about classical musicians: they are generally cautioned by their teachers not to record or make videos and then release them out to the world - until they are truly ready.

I studied marimba with Leigh Howard Stevens in '81 and he made an emphatic case for it. Later, after I moved to Denton TX, a classical guitarist made lots of videos that were shown on local TV, and she was far from ready. Her performances were an embarrassment to her professor and her colleagues.

So the idea of not making recordings and videos is something ingrained in me, and I don't feel bad for not doing it, despite encouragement from friends both local and online. I'm just not ready.

BTW I use Baritone Melody and love it.

R

Last edited by rodan07 on Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:21 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Mad Monk and the decision not to make videos/recordings
I have lots of opinions about this subject, but before we all get into it, from a purely technical point of view, anyone could take down any YouTube video that they've ever posted online, or restrict it, or make it publicly unavailable and accessible only with the link.

One can show a video for a short time, and then pull it down or restrict it. And if you're that awesomely famous and have that obsessive a fanbase, who figure out out to make a personal copy of your Youtube video for themselves, and then somehow re-upload it for the world (and for you to then make them desist), well, I don't think they're gonna to be uploading the sucky performances you made, and not the awesome ones.

Okay, just wanted to get that technical reminder and excuse out there.

Cheers! (Flame on!)

Also calling out specific members in your titles is frowned on in most corners of the intertubes.

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:04 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

the problem is that we will never ready(we can always improve the things)

the GRID(MIDI) #4959# 10 deep bass/baritone- ROSEWOOD
the RAILBOARD #no serial#10 re-worked(to re-work) -gunmetal

Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:18 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Quote:
Also calling out specific members in your titles is frowned on in most corners of the intertubes.

D'oh! Sorry.

Is there a way to take down the whole thread then?

R

Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:39 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

rodan07 wrote:
Quote:

D'oh! Sorry.

Is there a way to take down the whole thread then?

R
Just edit the first entry/posting and change the title...I'd make it "The Decision not to make videos/recordings" and we can still have a great discussion.

Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:08 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: ... the decision not to make videos/recordings
Oh, I am pretty sure that we will find SOME way to take issue with some aspect of the post, and at least one of the replies. :D

"GAHHHH!!!! You DARE!!! YOU DARE!?!?!"

Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:45 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I see and hear the position: I've not yet hatched into my glorious final state of awesomeness. Anything short of perfection to be found on the Internet could jeopardize my chances of being thought of as an awesome musician.

(My tone here clearly says that I don't agree with that position.)

The first time I ever played in a band live, we did Fantasy by Aldo Nova and my keyboard came unplugged from a bad cable right in the middle of the "All Eyes On Steve" part and I played awesomely and not a sound came out of the speakers. So I whacked the keyboard a couple of times, a lot pop and squeek happened, the cable reconnected, and we were back to rocking. And played at a frathouse the next weekend when a dude saw us play "Heard it From a Friend" later and nail our parts.

Sorry. That's not the level you mean. "I'm a Julliard/Berkeley/MacSchmancy Bo Fancy Music School Alum or Current Student!" Or whatever. (I'm a Kansas State University Music School Non-graduate speaking non-bitterly, although a B.A. and a Masters in English Lit/Creative Writing eventual graduate. I lack 12 credits of my music undergraduate.) So I have an opinion of an almost music school graduate, but I was not a performance major. I was required to attend many a student performance, that were all filmed and videos available in the gift shop. I would personally kill a large mammal with my teeth for anyone who has those VHS tapes of some of my earlier compositions being performed.

Okay, that's my not-bitter-at-all thank-you background into my own music school. Just trying to establish that I can at least imagine arguments for the other side. And then dismiss them sarcastically. And I've done a tiny, itsy bitsy bit of arguing here at Stickist Land with the Great KRex, so let me behave.

I will also point out very diplomatically that it is indeed difficult to want to be seen as an expert, but not demonstrate accordingly. As they say on the streets: "Put up or shut up." If you want to make claims about your ideas and philosophies--one would assume to gather converts and followers, Fellow Stickist of the One Right Tuning--yet not demonstrate anything, it makes it harder to be taken seriously.

Otherwise, if you're not "ready to show people," then you're not ready to tell people. Which is absolutely fine; many things take time. But you can't have it both ways.

And as an English teacher at the university level and 3 years of Junior High School English in Miyagi, Japan, I can tell you the name of the particular rhetorical strategy and logical fallacy: "Argument from Authority."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_authority

Quote:
Carl Sagan wrote of arguments from authority:

One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority." ... Too many such arguments have proved too painfully wrong. Authorities must prove their contentions like everybody else.

Bold added.

So, yes, I would love to hear the reasons why not posting a bunch of crappy videos is not a good idea for a professional would-be Gigger or Getter of Tenure (I can speak to both!)

TL;DR:
If all you have are crappy videos that will make you look bad some day, that you therefore won't post, why should I listen to your Arguments from Authority?

That is really not directed at anyone specifically. Lots of Elitist Stickists DO show their stuff all the time. Because of course! Why else would anyone take you seriously otherwise! Which is the entirety of my long-winded point.

As someone who fills this poor forum with his crappy self-expressions of music and art, y'all know where I'm coming from, and can judge my opinions and experiences accordingly.

And still, large mammal of your choice with my teeth if can have those VHS tapes from the student performances at K-State Music School back in 90-94!
Steve Sink
Paigan Productions

Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:02 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Sounds like dissent and possible disrespect combined with a potential dismissive tone Steve, did you get proper authorization to post that? I think that you may get labeled as a disturber of the peace yet if you keep that up...

Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:23 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Quote:
I will also point out very diplomatically that it is indeed difficult to want to be seen as an expert, but not demonstrate accordingly. As they say on the streets: "Put up or shut up." If you want to make claims about your ideas and philosophies--one would assume to gather converts and followers, Fellow Stickist of the One Right Tuning--yet not demonstrate anything, it makes it harder to be taken seriously.

Otherwise, if you're not "ready to show people," then you're not ready to tell people. Which is absolutely fine; many things take time. But you can't have it both ways.

As a guy with very few recordings or performance videos out there (all on other instruments I've played for 30 years) - I hear ya. Besides not wanting a shitty video out there haunting me like the ghost of Christmas past, my threshold for playing an instrument on a world wide stage (the internet) has always been: when I feel I can handle the instrument with relaxed authority and have something to say musically. After 4 years on Stick I've run a few of my recordings past Emmett and a couple of other fine players for comment and constructive criticism with fairly positive results so maybe...... It's a hard bridge to cross though. Kinda like getting your first tattoo.

Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:54 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Captain Strings wrote:
As a guy with very few recordings or performance videos out there (all on other instruments I've played for 30 years) - I hear ya. Besides not wanting a shitty video out there haunting me like the ghost of Christmas past, my threshold for playing an instrument on a world wide stage (the internet) has always been: when I feel I can handle the instrument with relaxed authority and have something to say musically. After 4 years on Stick I've run a few of my recordings past Emmett and a couple of other fine players for comment and constructive criticism with fairly positive results so maybe...... It's a hard bridge to cross though. Kinda like getting your first tattoo.
I made it through 6 or so different metal bands in the 90s without ever getting a tattoo. Then went to Japan and saw some incredible art (on mostly Yakuza). Now, I'm too intimidated by the thought of it all. But I just heard about fake "sleeves" with tattoos printed on them that look like the real thing, so I can go full poser next time I gig.

I hear you, Captain Strings, and perhaps I have less shame than I have talent, but I've always been a ham and a showoff, while also being extremely humble (and good looking. [Gets out the hip waders, 'cause it's getting deep...]). I'm just a dude with a government job and a wife, 2 teenagers way cooler than I'll ever be, and a cat, and dude who rocks out in his basement and makes fractals. (I'm not sure about the order of all that.) I hit 10K views on my YouTube channel and it felt like a major life milestone.

As a writer and musician, I'm like the thirstiest combination of a thirsty person looking for the water of attention you ever saw--other than an actor or a politician. (Or some potent, orange combination of actor and politician that gets elected to the highest office in the land...) :oops:

I just try to minimize the embarrassment, and maximize the rocking out, and if possible, occasionally get into Teh Arrrrt. Honestly, I mostly amuse myself and try not to (overly) annoy others. I do like to collab with others and make friends, so that's probably my ulterior motive for most postings: "Here's what I'm working on! Whadya think and wanna jam?"

I also try to be super supportive to everyone that posts. It's absolutely critical to make people feel that their contributions are listened to and thought about. And if anyone wants an opinion on making it better, I have enough for most people (and can always manufacture more!) And again. Put my money where my mouth is. I want to see people rocking it out, so I post my own stuff to (hopefully) inspire or maybe bring the intimidation factor down: "See, PaiganZero isn't afraid to make (many) mistakes!"

And then people post the most amazing things that they really aren't sure about, only to discover that like 6 people are blown away and immediately steal it for themselves. Or all rush out and buy NS/Sticks because they saw how crappily I was playing it and said "Shoot, I can do better than that!"

--HammMeister MeisterHamm

Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:30 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery