It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:37 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
 melody (or bass) in 3ds? 
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Re: melody (or bass) in 3ds?
Lee Vatip wrote:
...Don't do it....

...short and clear...
...and IMHO, the best hint in the discussion...

...just have a look in historical development of stringed instruments,
we can see fifths , forths mainly...harps with seconds...

...but 3ds, they are exeptional, and only in use for a pair of strings, basta...

...use your time for better goals...
...again, Don't do it...

Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:00 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Lee Vatip wrote:
"Hey dude, you tune that thing any way you like! If it works for you, I say go for it! Everybody is different... (I know I tried a bunch of different tunings myself, although 3rds was never anything I considered"

Yes indeed everyone should do whatever they want. The question was asked . Please dismiss my decades of experience and conclusions. Never mind.
Off to a gig.
Triads, dominants, extensions, alterations and orchestrations will be in abundance

I really liked this one. Succinct, and to the point. Easily the highlight of this thread for me... Quite excellent.

Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:23 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

I always had open ears when someone with lots of experience would offer and share their wisdom. Usually very valuable and useful information would be presented.
Occasionally I found it less than desirable. But I always appreciated hearing from someone who had already traveled the path.
Now it seems as though I'm in that seniority position in the Stick universe. It bewilders me that all too often the responses to my posts are met with confrontation and sarcasm. I would rather teach and create than argue with these statements.
Enjoy your musical journey

Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:46 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I am going to take that as an apology.

Thanks, man!

Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:24 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Last edited by randy on Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:12 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Exactly what I said. Your confrontational anger is front and center. I don't need to defend any of my statements.
You put down someone for offering lessons because it involves Commerce? You don't like it when someone offers any advice here. You're offensive and angry.
Enjoy your life.
And no Scott, that was not an apology.
You're the one who went low in personal emails.
I honor my contributions to The Stick community be it music, educational or at times personal support
You both seem to think otherwise.
I fully anticipate some rebuttal. The floor is yours
Have a nice day
SA

Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:29 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

1. Musicians not showing proper respect to the Elders and to Authority.
2. Musicians not willing to listen to the older generation who have already done it all.
3. Musicians who feel shut down and maybe even belittled just because Old Guy had already given his opinions based on his long experiences, and that should have been it. And then got mad when an alternative viewpoint was respectfully submitted.

Sorry, I was talking about a young Emmett Chapman who didn't listen to the oldtimers telling him that guitars had only 6 strings and were plucked and strummed and played with only one hand.

Or that Sticks were to be only tuned in 5ths and 4ths.

I wonder how this will end? I would think that the people who make a living through teaching and performing would be careful to not turn off prospective students. Or get into silly arguments with people who politely and respectfully disagreed, until they became not polite or respectful when yelled at for "not respecting mah authoriteh!!!!"

The whole silly thing is here public for all the world to see. Steve got short and made a crotchety comment. Then when called on it, he doubled and tripled down. Okay, got it. Do we have to have back and forth, tit for tat, on this issue?

I swear, if someone tells me to shut up and respect their Authoriteh, that is a very counter-productive strategy. And Scott is my friend, but he can defend himself, but now he has to, and now we have emails back and forth, and now the tone of the emails is disrespectful....And Steve is my friend, too. And slightly out of line.

Heavy sigh... I also feel a little bit defensive because I'm (politely and respectfully) trying to have this very same discussion about alternate tunings (parallel 4ths) without pissing off the delicate feefees of the Stick Masters, who have videos and long careers doing their Thang, and who have their identities wrapped up in their instrument tuning(s). But I'm not going anywhere people, and I assure you I will do Great Things with whatever tunings I use, with your excellent help, or in spite of your defensive crotchedy-ness.

Ijou desu, as the kachou says, or "that's all I have to say about that!"

Y'all have fun!

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:07 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

My father and a friend were working part time on a neighbor's farm long, long ago, just to help out during busy times when the farmer was short on workers. The task, one day, was to get a full grown pig into a truck for delivery to a butcher. My father and his friend, healthy and strong men, struggled for a long time trying to get that pig to go up the ramp into the back of the truck. An older man watched this for a time and then told them he could tell them how to get the pig onto the truck--with one hand, even. They thought he was joking or giving them a hard time. So they declined and struggled on till they were both wore out and bruised from the thrashings of the pig. Then the older man brought over a 5 gallon plastic bucket, pushed and held it over the pigs head (with one hand), and the pig walked straight backward up the ramp, into the back of the truck in an attempt to get its head out of the bucket.

Take that however you want. If nothing else it is an amusing story. And it reminds me that each generation wants to struggle with their own way of finding solutions to their problems even if it is sometimes unnecessary.

Now, off to the video/recordings discussion!

Mike

Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:52 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Of course my response is due.
You say I doubled down on my comments. You insinuate that I think as an elder statesman I hold my truths on high ground.
First things first. You have no access to personal correspondence I have had with Scott. This is confidential but relevant. The original post asked about the prudence of tuning in thirds. Now since 99.9% of us including Randy, Scott, and yourself use fourths and I actually illustrated the advantages of such, why was there a confrontation that my statements were authoritative?
I have strong beliefs regarding music and learning. I've always been encouraging on Stickist and in private. I believe Scott might even agree with that from our previous lessons. I have no idea why Randy is so confrontational toward me and others
If you wish to attack me personally whether with sarcasm or directly, so be it.
Scott, Randy, Steve, I wish you all well in your musical and life pursuits.
Be well
Steve A

Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:59 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

New ideas are always needed to advance anything...exploring is needed. At the same time, though, in my world not taking advantage of the experience in the room, or not having it available to begin with, costs serious time and money to say the least.

I think at least some of the bickering here is due to stretching/projecting people's comments into meaning things that were not intended.

Nobody's going to care, but except maybe to check in once in a while for any Interlochen or Vancouver updates, I think I'm going to back off this forum for a while. Days, weeks, months, I don't know, but the tone lately has been getting me down, so I should probably take a break.

Bamboo Grand #7363 MR ACTV2, Tarara Grand #5677 MR PASV4
Tap In Time Podcast: tapintime.podbean.com/

Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:57 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next